Speculation and media beat ups - Thunder River Rapids incident

Reanimated35

1 minute ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

Given a lot of us are watching it...

Instead of having 3 people on this forum posting the same thing like above can we just have one person do it... Everybody doesn't need to try and race to be the person who got the post in first...  TBH with this sort of thing why would you want to be...

Press conference is about to start 

I also agree

Edited by ClassifiedLlama

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:45 PM, POP said:

No its not, this is such a MASSIVE, HUGE thing. A whole family have lost their lives and Dreamworld is to blame. How can they ever recover from this is beyond me. This is a massive, long lasting stain on their history/legacy and if they're not shut down by the government then they'll be shut down from the massive legal costs which will go into the tens of millions. 

Touchy subject but yes I'm sure it could have been avoided if the ride was better assessed and operated. I guess it's just something no one would have thought to happen.. I also believe it probably happened because someone stood up on the ride

Edited by joz

4 minutes ago, POP said:

No its not, this is such a MASSIVE, HUGE thing. A whole family have lost their lives and Dreamworld is to blame. How can they ever recover from this is beyond me. This is a massive, long lasting stain on their history/legacy and if they're not shut down by the government then they'll be shut down from the massive legal costs which will go into the tens of millions. 

You are laying the blame on the park without proof or substantiation. You're also claiming this will bankrupt the park without knowledge of their insurance coverage or financial position.

1 minute ago, kujotess said:

I also believe it probably happened because someone stood up on the ride

There is no evidence of that.

Nine News Sydney are really giving it to the Gold Coast theme parks sadly - a story dedicated to nearly all previous incidents in ALL Gold Coast theme parks from pyrotechnic mishaps to minor ride malfuncations to passengers misbehaving on the rides.

They reported in 1998 a piece of metal fell from the Giant Drop - is that true?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Long term effects on the park are something that's going to have to remain to be seen, however short-term effects are something that will effect people imminently.  Because it's been so long since something this awful has happened at an Australian park what's the appropriate protocol for the park?  Do they remain closed tomorrow out of respect to the victims?  I assume they will close off the TRR area and any area that substantially looks into it for at least the period of investigation, but have no idea how long that would be in this case.

How was the Smiler incident handled?  I understand that was not fatal, but is it perhaps likely to have parallels in handling by the park here?

1 minute ago, Santa07 said:

Possibly yes, even possibly just changing the Buzzsaw slightly to remove the ghost theme.

I agree.. I mean the theme of buzzsaw is of a ghost who was once killed because of an incident regarding the ride and now haunts the area... I can't :unsure:

Edited by kujotess

3 minutes ago, JeffreyMoore said:

Im sure they will but i think this is likely to see the end of the thunder river rapids and gold rush as a whole 

I doubt the second honestly, although TRRR might have seen its last days, removing the entire gold rush area would be costly and will remove a huge part of Dreamworld history... a decision I'm sure won't be made lightly

5 minutes ago, Gazza said:

A bit did fall, hence the mesh awning above the seats being retrofitted.

Well there ya go, knew i would be wrong.

This just saddens me to no end. Especially on such a tame ride....We all know there's risks going into a park/ride like that. but...just shocked.

Hits so much harder when it happens at our own :(

Edited by diesal11

It makes it seem substantially more worse now how the media jump on every small theme park incident looking for a story, for example, a mid-ride stoppage and evacuation on Storm - and as it's mentioned here "everything was working as is should be", and now these non-events are being used against the safety of the parks.

Edited, as I also offer my condolences to friends and family members of those involved, and the staff and general public that witnessed the tragic event.

Edited by liz.wis

Personally I would be very surprised to see the ride ever re open. 

Whilst popular it is also an aging ride that is very expensive to run and this tragic incident has probably sealed its fate. 

Other rides have killed people and reopened yes, but with far for reason to than TRRR has. 

Coukd be an end to that entire area of the park with the idea of putting the tragedy behind them. 

In this time though, regardless of if it was your favourite ride, or how sad YOU might be, four people lost their lives today and it would be a horrific time for anyone who knew them or was involved. 

Perspective is important. 

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

Giant Drop in early 2002... one of the cable couplers didn't correctly fold away after the gondola passed and was clipped on the way down. As Gazza noted this was the reason for the mesh awning. 

I don't understand that - clipped on the way down yet needs meshing above the riders?

I'm also reading news reports that Ardent's share price has dropped heaps as a result of this incident but after looking at the ASX, it is not a significant drop so ignore those reports.

After reading all posts so far, I don't think this has been posted from Ardent Leisure's ASX announcement regarding the incident:

Dreamworld will remain closed tomorrow as a mark of respect for the victims & their families.