Speculation and media beat ups - Thunder River Rapids incident

Reanimated35

They're saying that the forward boat was stuck because a water pump failed, lowering the water level to a point at which the boat got caught on something. 

For people advocating for more secure restraints - have a look at the pics of the boat after it was removed. Two of the seats have been completely shredded. I'd say that stronger restraints would have resulted in more deaths here, not less. 

8 minutes ago, Levithian said:

The amount of water encountered in a ride like this, you aren't talking a pool pump. Well, you might be if your pool pump was about 2/3 the size of a car and weighed maybe 6-7 tons. I don't think it's something you can have fail and limp along at half flow. You would probably have a backup and be able to switch over, or have to switch out the pump in the event of the failure.

Or, worst case scenario, no flow at all. The water would just drain back out into the storage area.

There has been a lot more moderating going on, 2 members have been suspended and we've deleted a butt ton of posts.  But as you can imagine it is hard to keep up with all the replies, I would say if you see something that you find upsetting or that you take offence to, ignore it.  If you do decide to respond (because I know you will anyway) at least don't call someone a shit head and make a valid point in the same post.  Just makes removing the crap so much harder.  Finally, don't try and solve the mystery before the police do.  They've got the facts, you've got idle speculation, so perhaps give it a rest.

I'll be back later to purge a lot of this thread.

If you had any faith left in the media before this incident, I'm sure it has evaporated now. I have never seen such desperate, click-hungry, irresponsible journalism. They are jumping at anything just to get another story up, clearly because they are attracting eyeballs. Anyone that says anything about anything slightly Dreamworld-related will get quoted in yet another baseless article on the topic. The media is stuffed (generally speaking).

16 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

If you had any faith left in the media before this incident, I'm sure it has evaporated now. I have never seen such desperate, click-hungry, irresponsible journalism. They are jumping at anything just to get another story up, clearly because they are attracting eyeballs. Anyone that says anything about anything slightly Dreamworld-related will get quoted in yet another baseless article on the topic. The media is stuffed (generally speaking).

This is honestly really tame compared to a lot of other things they've done in the past, it's been wrong information for quick clicks and views without an apology for incorrect facts, making stories on tiny fringe details, some not even related to the incident.
It's bad and it's in the spotlight for people here because they've been following so closely, but really, this is nothing.

Edited by BemaniAK

43 minutes ago, JaggedJanine said:

The park will be opening this Friday and proceeds from the day will be going to the families.

Im happy that their opening up again, and not only that... but all the money is going to families. Dreamworld has been Amazing, working with detectives on how this tragic incident happened. 

10 minutes ago, BemaniAK said:

This is honestly really tame compared to a lot of other things they've done in the past, it's been wrong information for quick clicks and views without an apology for incorrect facts, making stories on tiny fringe details, some not even related to the incident.
It's bad and it's in the spotlight for people here because they've been following so closely, but really, this is nothing.

not quite, channel 9 was saying that the busszaw ride had collapsed and 4 people fell from a cart and were crushed. I think thats pushing it a bit far given the busszaw is still there right now.

6 minutes ago, ClassifiedLlama said:

not quite, channel 9 was saying that the busszaw ride had collapsed and 4 people fell from a cart and were crushed. I think thats pushing it a bit far given the busszaw is still there right now.

Yes, completely wrong information because they were too hasty to get their story out, and not apologizing for giving out that false info, as I said.
It's business as usual for them.

1. Velcro straps are on board to promote passengers to stay seated, they are not a safety feature. You're expected to remain seated at all times as per signage plastered everywhere. If a raft were to tip last thing you want is people restrained with lapbars.

2. During a pump failure a loud alarm sounds and the operator initiates an emergency stop which will stop all pumps, conveyors and close all jacks.

3. "18 year old operator, first day on job" - Not possible, this ride required you to be a senior/experienced operator. It was one of the second last rides you were trained on last one being Log ride. It took 2 years before I was trained as an "assist". Main operator is a senior with at least 3+ years experience.

16 minutes ago, MayfairProductions said:

1. Velcro straps are on board to promote passengers to stay seated, they are not a safety feature. You're expected to remain seated at all times as per signage plastered everywhere. If a raft were to tip last thing you want is people restrained with lapbars.

2. During a pump failure a loud alarm sounds and the operator initiates an emergency stop which will stop all pumps, conveyors and close all jacks.

3. "18 year old operator, first day on job" - Not possible, this ride required you to be a senior/experienced operator. It was one of the second last rides you were trained on last one being Log ride. It took 2 years before I was trained as an "assist". Main operator is a senior with at least 3+ years experience.

Finally, someone that gets it! 

1 hour ago, MayfairProductions said:

It doesn't even take a genius to work out a person on their first day wouldn't be a main operator for a ride like this...

Regarding the ASX, Ardent Leisure's share price did drop even further today and can now be considered a significant drop (yesterday was an 8% drop - today a 15% drop) as it is now out of trend with the share prices of the past 2 years. There is a possibility the share price will drop even further in the coming days. Also, everyone should note tomorrow is Ardent Leisure's Annual General Meeting - no doubt something will be done to acknowledge the Thunder River Rapids incident. Apart from that, the main point of interest in tomorrow's AGM is a potential name change in the Group from Ardent Leisure to Main Event Entertainment.

Village Roadshow's share price also dropped today by 4% - whilst it could be linked to DW's incident, it is not that as significant a drop.

And from The Sydney Morning Herald:

Fairfax Media has uncovered several claims of serious safety mishaps, including revelations that the Thunder River Rapids ride had malfunctioned twice in three days, leaving riders stranded for up to half an hour and raising questions over whether the amusement, which opened in 1986, had passed its use-by date.

...and The Guardian:

Air compressors on 13 Dreamworld rides, including the rapids ride, were deemed “not fit for service” in an inspection four years ago, according to documents released by Queensland’s workplace regulator.

Also, some notes about earlier posts:

13 hours ago, UpperCoomera said:

102.9 Hot Tomato has just reported that union bodies approached workplace health and safety more than 18 months ago raising grave concerns over the safety of the ride and AS REPORTED BY HOT TOMATO, Ardent Leisure vehemently opposed any investigation into the matter.

I don't know if it's just speculation on behalf of the radio station or fact. I hope it's untrue, otherwise we have seen the last of Dreamworld as it now involves gross negligence, a criminal offence.

This is not word for word.

ADDITION: I am only repeating what I heard on Hot Tomato, I am in no way stating this as fact or otherwise

Just to add some clarification, their complaint was unrelated to Thunder River Rapids. I believe it was just with issues related to general park operations which may have involved some rides but not Thunder River Rapids. Nevertheless, the timing of the Australian Workers Union expressing this to the media is suspicious. Like others have said, if it was really high risk, they would've brought it up to the media immediately ages ago.

2 hours ago, JaggedJanine said:

The park will be opening this Friday and proceeds from the day will be going to the families.

Can someone clarify whether this is a 1 day only opening or will it be open everyday after Friday? I'm reading it as only opening on the Friday for the Memorial Day but will close again until further notice after the Memorial Day finishes but I feel the media etc. are interpreting it as 'normal operations have resumed'.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

2 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

You can have your car serviced today and blow a fuse, a tyre, a headlight, hell even a head gasket, the following day. 

Correct - that wasn't my implication however. More that there's been speculation in the media and on facebook in particular about poor maintenance on rides etc. If this was the case then surely this "poor maintenance" practice would have been picked up during an annual full third party inspection..

If the park is cleared to return to trade, which would be a decision by the police once the park's current status as a crime scene is revoked, the park can open as per normal operations, albeit with potential exclusion zone around the incident area (I can foresee Buzzsaw potentially remaining closed due to its proximity to TRR) 

Edited by Brad2912

10 minutes ago, UpperCoomera said:

The AWU guy also restated this on SKY NEWS this arvo, specifically saying it was the River Rapid and had to lodge a Freedom of Information request to get Ardent to release safety reports or something

I quote 

Mr Swan said he was not aware of specific concerns with the Thunder River Rapids ride but that the union had made direct representations to the company about "operational and mechanical faults" affecting other rides.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/dreamworld-accident-no-surprise-union-claims-20161026-gsatxb#ixzz4OBonc7N5 
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

20 minutes ago, Life said:

I have a question... If Intamin did not design or supply the ride, who did?

Like discussed earlier in this thread, it seems in 1986, Thunder River Rapids was built by Dreamworld & externally contracted engineers including Masterglass, who built the original rafts. Since then, Intamin has supposedly helped in installing a ride computer as well as provided new rafts, spare parts & manuals so the ride can work in conjunction with the new features supposedly from Intamin.

17 minutes ago, UpperCoomera said:

The AWU guy also restated this on SKY NEWS this arvo, specifically saying it was the River Rapid and had to lodge a Freedom of Information request to get Ardent to release safety reports or something

I'm not sure now if it is the same story or 2 stories being mixed together but The Guardian article I referred to earlier (about air compressors) is probably what you are referring to.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

The media have handled this absolutely appallingly, these are real people and they are being so insensitive about it. 

People keep mentioning how Dreamworld should close on social media, but they don't realise that Dreamworld is incredibly safe however accidents do happen. There have been many deaths at Disney and Six Flags and they remain open, so hopefully everything works out for DW. 

Haven't stop thinking about this all day, and my heart sinks every time I hear it mentioned. 

Does anyone know whether the conveyor system was modified when they changed from the rotating platform system?

I'm thinking along the lines of if the platform was rotating, then there really would have been no requirement for the conveyor to stop as it would have been a constant moving process.

Edited by elemist