Speculation and media beat ups - Thunder River Rapids incident

Reanimated35

Things just got a bit more complex for DW (new information 4th paragraph onwards):

Australian Workers Union general secretary Ben Swann told Fairfax Media last Friday he had provided police with 2 emails from 2015 in which senior Dreamworld staff defended having 1 staff member to operate the ride when the manufacturer's guidelines specify 2, "preferably 3 staff".

Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson announced on Monday staff operating procedures of the 1-car Cyclone ride, now called Hot Wheels SideWinder, were approved through "4 separate tiers".

Mr Davidson said the procedures were subject to an internal safety and risk assessment and approved by the manufacturer, an independent ride safety expert and Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ).

On late Tuesday afternoon, a WHSQ spokesperson rejected Mr Davidson's claim the safety regulator had approved of staffing levels.

"Under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011, Workplace Health and Safety Queensland does not approve staffing levels for theme park rides," the spokesperson said.

"Because of the range of factors that must be taken into account such as number of patrons and competence of staff, the duty is on the person conducting a business or undertaking to assess the risks and put in place appropriate controls to ensure any risks to health and safety are minimised.

"This would include the number of staff required to operate a ride safely."

In addition, WHSQ has demanded Dreamworld hand over all documentation relating to the ride.

"WHSQ is aware this statement differs to information released by Dreamworld and so today has issued a Requirement to produce documents under s.171 of the WHS Act requiring Dreamworld to produce all documentation relating to the Hot Wheels SideWinder ride, formerly known as the Cyclone," the spokesperson said.

A Dreamworld spokesperson said Workplace Health and Safety Queensland inspectors had inspected the Hot Wheels SideWinder ride and its operating procedures on-site on multiple occasions.

"Dreamworld is working openly and transparently with Workplace Health and Safety Queensland on their review of all rides at Dreamworld," the spokesperson said.

"Dreamworld fully supports the current Workplace Health and Safety review underway and this includes any further review of the Hot Wheels SideWinder ride and its operations (formerly Cyclone ride)."

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

27 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

I posted a photo on the previous page of the cottage located on the rim of the TRR reservoir, next to Blue Lagoon. Still waiting for someone to confirm if it's the cottage in question or not. 

Well if the sign is still above the door as @YLFATEEKS says I'd imagine it's accessible or at least used to be.

are you referring to this 'shack' TPG?

You_Doodle_2016-11-03T11_13_59Z.jpg

56 minutes ago, joz said:

See I thought it might've been the house looking thing next to it lol 

Ahh, ok. I guess it's possible? Although I've seen mechanics go through the little doors on either side under the Gold Rush arch into that building, so I assumed it was just a maintenance or staff area of some sort. Tbh I have no idea. It could have been a house at one state? 

I just found a pic of the fairy shop, but doesn't seem to have say signs above the door other than the fairy shop one lol.

images(47).jpg

Geez @YLFATEEKS, you've got us on a wild goose chase now ?

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Well if the sign is still above the door as @YLFATEEKS says I'd imagine it's accessible or at least used to be. 

are you referring to this 'shack' TPG?

You_Doodle_2016-11-03T11_13_59Z.jpg

Yep, that's the one! Would love to know the story behind it. Looks like it has been there for a long long time ??

Edited by Theme Park Girl

Haven't been on this site for about 8 years but have come back to give my 2c

I'm still stunned at the combine harvester a.k.a the conveyor. Im amazed riders were exposed to such a savage machinery.

"What ifs" should have been discussed during the hazard identifying process. Did they even have hazard identifying/control measure inspections like at any other workplace?

What if a rider hopped out onto the conveyor? What if a raft flipped on the conveyor? What if any person or anything got caught in the conveyor? Due to the lack of restraints and easy access to the conveyor these situations should have been identified as possible and a risk. I find it hard to believe none of these questions were even asked or if they were no control measures put in place