• A complete removal of the Vikings Revenge
    • New rollercoaster/flat ride
    • Refurbished/new waterpark
    • New shows and precincts
    • Renovate the Resort
    • Expansion
    • Nothing, its fine the way it is!

41 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Bermuda Triangle is my favourite ride - I rode it for the 1st time in the late 2000's & it seemed like it operated as it did when it opened (based on people's descriptions who rode it in the mid-1990's). Unless my memory has made me forget, I didn't realise the twist that one of the recruiters was an alien - I was always confused as to why a human was in an alien world full of robots :huh:

The only thing that I think didn't feature when I rode it but was there on opening day was the flame shooting out of the flume's exit out of the volcano (see photo from an archived SW website) - I was looking forward to the flame shooting 'out of the tunnel' as the 'research probe' went zooming past it. Can someone tell me if that featured when it opened in 1994?

I've heard that the flame effects were removed when the volcano stopped working in ~2008, or it got decommissioned for safety reasons in the mid 00's. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That would be correct for the flame from the top and the fire effects inside the top of the volcano...  Which were then replaced with red rope lights...

There was a flame that shot out from above the doorway but I don't really remember seeing it very many times (especially not since maths camp in grade 8 so that would have been later 1995)...  You can see the black area in this photo and there was a jet of flame that shot out of this area... Obviously many years before this as notice corksc...  Sea Viper in the background...

Image result for bermuda triangle ride

Credit to TPR

Edited by MaxxTheMonster

Reading the archive website and some of those facts are pretty cool. Like the water capacity and the fire effect temperature. I do remember riding the ride a couple of times when the fire effect did work, and couldn't believe how hot it got.

• Water system capacity: 1.5 million litres
  • Animatronic robots: 22
  • Light globes: 2000
  • Passengers per probe: 10
  • Heat from fire effects: 680 degrees
  • Opened in April 1994

1 hour ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

I've heard that the flame effects were removed when the volcano stopped working in ~2008, or it got decommissioned for safety reasons in the mid 00's. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Probably the latter. I saw the flame effects working on the top (and maybe inside) of the volcano & rode it for the 1st time prior to 2008.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

34 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Probably the latter. I saw the flame effects working on the top (and maybe inside) of the volcano & rode it for the 1st time prior to 2008.

1 hour ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/2700-Sea_World_Eye/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-30/offset/22

I don't know the actual figures, but I do remember Sea World saying Storm was the most expensive ride they've ever built.

That being the case, I do have to wonder if it would have cost less to get Bermuda back up to a standard where it could have remained open, than what they spent to demolish it and build Storm.

Regardless, I just think overall Sea World is being very very poorly managed. I don't know who's responsible for that, but I do think they've made a lot of big mistakes and it really needs some love.

2 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I don't know the actual figures, but I do remember Sea World saying Storm was the most expensive ride they've ever built.

That being the case, I do have to wonder if it would have cost less to get Bermuda back up to a standard where it could have remained open, than what they spent to demolish it and build Storm.

Regardless, I just think overall Sea World is being very very poorly managed. I don't know who's responsible for that, but I do think they've made a lot of big mistakes and it really needs some love.

According to what's on wiki, it was: "Most expensive theme park ride". Sunrise. - There's a clip online if you search "Seaworld storm expensive ride" 

Maybe in the short term - but how long should they keep working on repairing and prolonging the inevitable with an ageing ride that could be replaced with something newer and potentially more appealing and marketable? (Keep in mind you can make plenty of ads showing off BT, but people are going to realise it's not new anymore. 

What's being poorly managed other than removing rides that YOU don't want removed? The plaza was a great investment for the park. Keep in mind it's not designed to be a thrill park. It's a marine park which houses a few rides. Sure, the rides draw crowds in and they're needed, but they aren't supposed to be the focal point. Waiting a couple of years for a major attraction isn't that bad. They're throwing a few hundred million into MW at the moment in time for the games because they know that's the smart investment. Give it time and they'll move over to SW. 

51 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

It would most likely have cost less for sure. But problem is, say you spend 10 million to 'fix up' Bermuda. You NEVER see any return on that investment. It doesn't generate additional revenue.

So it's a much better business decision to spend 20 and build a new attractions that brings in return for the capital outlay. It is a business after all, and has to be responsible to it's shareholders with the money it spends.

4 hours ago, bladex said:

unfortunately it doesn't look like it is

^What makes it look permanent @bladex?

Iis it the portable and easily-moveable-with-a-forklift planters?

Or is it the.... wait that's it.

So what makes it look like it won't be temporary? there is literally nothing in this picture that I can see that indicates any sort of permanency... it's not like the planters are bolted down, or cemented into the ground...?

The part that makes you consider that it could be permanent is that part you don't see in the photo - the attitude of park management (which at a guess is why Slick said what he did).  You could easily take the view of "Well, everything there is pretty easily moved", but at the same time there's got to be a reason it was put there in the first place.  Why bother putting something so shitty and easily moved in-place if you were planning on doing the job properly?

I'd call it an each way bet.

1 hour ago, webslave said:

The part that makes you consider that it could be permanent is that part you don't see in the photo

7 hours ago, bladex said:

unfortunately it doesn't look like it is

So, fortunately, these temporary additions to block the pathways definitely LOOK temporary.

As for whether we'll see removal - (i feel de ja vu coming on - somebody find Joz) although they do have a history inthe past of SBNO rides for some time (thereby making these installations semi-permanent, not temporary, if they were to last that long) they have in recent times shown an inclination to remove rides immediately after closure \ after the peak season has passed - ala Viper, and most of Skyway.