Lets Talk Wet And Wild Gold Coast

Prequel

FlowRider was taken off the maintenance webpage suddenly on Monday I think.

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

Once a decision (and an announcement) is made, removal of the ride is very quick:

• Bermuda
  • Sea Viper
  • SkyWay
2 hours ago, joz said:

Bermuda sat closed for like an entire year or more.  Sea Viper was closed after already being closed for months.  I'll give you skyway and then I'll remind you about the train which still has remenants around the park and the decaying remains of the water park.

Looking back on historical sources, @joz is correct on all of them but I should point out that Sea Viper's permanent closure was announced on the 17th of July 2014 with it's removal beginning 12 days later on the 29th of July 2014 so @AlexB is correct on his initial point that Sea Viper was quickly removed after it's permanent closure was announced. Also, I should point out that Sky High Skyway had it's removal begin weeks before it's permanent closure was confirmed too but like DW, it's support towers/stations still stand.

If Viking's Revenge is like Sea Viper, it's removal would begin on the 22nd of December but given the holiday period & the complexity in removing it, it probably will still be SBNO until at least after the summer holidays.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Sea Viper had been 'up again' 'down again' whilst they tried to get it operational. it's last uptime was february 2014, and it was 'closed for maintenance' from there until around July 2014 when Sea World announced they were closing it for good. (link). According to the August edition of the Parkz Update (link) Sea Viper was almost completely removed in less than a week.

My point was that once a decision (and an announcement) is made, removal is quick. I guess it hasn't always been that way in the past, but I was turning my memory to more recent events. You are right about Bermuda. Didn't realise it had been that long - 2011 is a long time!

As for the water park - its semantics, but it wasn't part of the park at the time of closure. it belongs to the resort. The train is a different kettle of fish - sure they could have removed all the tracking, but with Viper's station housing them, along with the seal stadium tunnel, it would have been impossible to completely remove all trace of it (although yes, they could have done a better job than they did). As each part of the park has received some attention, it is slowly disappearing, but it didn't really occupy any usable land (although it did cause havoc for pathways).

Edit: oops. didn't see page two. Great Minds @Jamberoo Fan!

35 minutes ago, AlexB said:

As for the water park - its semantics, but it wasn't part of the park at the time of closure. it belongs to the resort. The train is a different kettle of fish

Really?  That's what you're going with?  It's the resort so it doesn't count.  You know they're the same company right?  Then 'the train is different' how?  It took 8 years to demolish the station.  You're smarter than this, you can just say 'oh yeah forgot about them'

The Sea Viper one is weird, it was dead a long before the announcement was made, but since people aren't across that and nor can expect them to be, I can't really get as riled, and a couple months isn't an awful turnaround.  

I had forgotten about them, hence why I didn't list them in my original post. You are correct... although again what I had meant to say was recent times - as both viper and skyway demonstrated.

They are the same company, and i'm sure decisions about the waterpark are made with both divisions discussing. Like i said - it is semantics, i'm not pushing that point, but it is a point of difference to the rest of the park.

What I meant by the train being different is that many aspects of the train couldn't just be demolished, because they were integrated into other structures (viper, seal stadium). I did say they could have taken out the track, but its a lot of effort for something that didn't really impede anyone. The station itself of course you are right about, but it was a nice photo spot for some time with the 'train' parked at the station. I think i've got a wedding photo here somewhere we took up on the platform...

A girl has come off a slide (report says ride but can't see her having come off Surfrider).

Possible spinal injuries. 

There are reports the teenager came off one of the rides or slides at the theme park.

At this stage, it remains unclear which ride or slide the incident occurred on.

The girl was seen being wheeled out of the theme park on a stretcher.

She has since been transported to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a stable condition.

There is no further information available at this time.

What slide could you come off of? The only one I can think of that would hurt someone is Jet Stream, but it's very hard to. Unless she fell out of one of the tube slides and something happened? And 'Come off' is very loose. Did she slip on the way out of the pool? Did she fall off of the slide? Did she fall out of the slide?

Edited by Intimidator305.

34 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Whats a chube?

I think it's like a tube.

5 minutes ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

News websites are all saying Aqualoop...  But nice to see they are also mentioning she stated she had a pre existing condition as well instead of fulling jumping to blame the park and staff...

For my own opinion, i'm thinking some of the news outlets got a little bit of an arse kicking over the DW thing with all of the wild rumors they started. Obviously not publicly, but privately I reckon they got a little nudge from some people in industry, the police, or perhaps even their own management when the true information was revealed.

29 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I think it's like a tube.

For my own opinion, i'm thinking some of the news outlets got a little bit of an arse kicking over the DW thing with all of the wild rumors they started. Obviously not publicly, but privately I reckon they got a little nudge from some people in industry, the police, or perhaps even their own management when the true information was revealed.

This is a lie. What "true information"?????

Dude, seriously... quit it. It's annoying when thats the only new post to read.

One-word or single phrase replies are not acceptable.

You should put some thought into a response, even if the answer is straight forward, it doesn't hurt to elaborate.

And yes, I do realise that your replies were neither one-word or single phrase, but i'm sure you get the point.

Sorry. Struggling to think of anything good to say. Maybe I'll just say nothing.

I don't think that this incident is anything big. We probably won't remember it in a few weeks. If anything I think its a good demonstration of VRTP's commitment to safety. All of the recent incidents were dealt with nicely by their team.

Edited by Intimidator305.

Just checking, one of the signs on Aqualoop it mentions the height requirement for a ride called the aqua drop. I assume there is a difference between the two as it stated, Aqualoop height requirement 120 cm, Aquadrop height requirement 110 cm. A quick search brought up no results, so unless its long removed ride, I'm a bit confused.

It was a short lived addition to the Aqualoop installation, that I never saw operate.

I sort of looked at it as a 'test seat' sort of thing - that people could try if they were apprehensive about doing the full loop.

Wish it had have stayed around as just another experience in the park, but i presume there was some reason for it.

Someone explained to me that they believed it was removed due to issues during testing, with people's back being sore due to their not being enough of a drop, so when they fell through the trap door and hit the turn of the slide, their backs would hit the slide. Don't know if that was right and related to the slide not operating, or if it was related to technical difficulties.