Songcheng Legendary Kingdom in Nerang

Jamberoo Fan

This isn't Wanda but it's very similar in topic:

From the Australian Financial Review:

China's Songcheng wants to build a Gold Coast theme park

By Angus Grigg

A Chinese entertainment company has approved plans to invest nearly $400 million in a Gold Coast theme park, as it seeks to capitalise on the boom in mainland tourists coming to Australia.

The Shenzhen-listed Songcheng Performance Development said its board had given final approval to proceed with the "Australian Legendary Kingdom" project at Nerang.

It will be Songcheng's first overseas investment and the 2 billion yuan ($400 million) project will mainly target Chinese tourists coming to Australia.

It will feature an "Aboriginal Cultural Village" and another precinct known as the "Mysterious Orient", along with a stage show called "Wild Australia", according to Songcheng's statement to the stock exchange. 

The company said it had allocated $66 million for buying land at Nerang, indicating it may have already found a site and agreed terms for its purchase.

About $300 million would be spent on design and construction of the theme park, which it said was located 10km from Surfers Paradise.

"This overseas investment meets our overall development strategy and is a crucial step for Songcheng to become the No.1 stage show company in the world," it told the stock exchange.

When contacted by The Australian Financial Review, Songcheng said it had no further comment to make.

A report in the Chinese press said Songcheng had already received approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board and had strong support from local authorities.

Gold Coast mayor Tom Tate said he was meeting with executives from Songcheng early next month and would not make any further comment.

Chinese tourist arrivals growing

Chinese tourist arrivals in Australia topped 1.17 million in the year ended September and are growing at more than 20 per cent annually.

The Gold Coast is among the most popular destination for them to visit along with Sydney, Cairns and Melbourne.

One of China's biggest real estate developers, Dalian Wanda, is also looking to take advantage of the boom in mainland tourists coming to Australia and is building a $1 billion six-star hotel and apartment complex on the Gold Coast.

It has also expressed an interest in building a theme park on the Gold Coast, targeting Chinese tourists.

Both the Songcheng theme park and Wanda's proposed development would likely threaten the revenue of existing attractions on the Gold Coast, including the Ardent Leisure-owned Dream World which remains closed after last month's fatal accident that killed three people.

Songcheng operates 28 stage shows across China, comprising more than 65,000 seats and sold 22.3 million tickets last year, up 53 per cent from 2015.

Its stage shows are held in China's key tourist areas, including Hangzhou outside Shanghai, Lijiang in the country's south and the island resort of Sanya.

According to its annual report, Songcheng's net profit grew 75 per cent to 631 million yuan ($124 million) in 2015, as the company took advantage of increased demand for leisure and entertainment activities from China's growing middle class.

It is also looking to take its theme park and stage show concept to Hawaii and Cambodia's Angkor Wat.

Songcheng chairman Huang Qiaoling said the company was aiming to be the world's No.1 stage show operator and among the top three in theme parks globally.

Songcheng Performance Development, a listed entertainment company based in Shenzhen, says its board approved plans for the Australian Legendary Kingdom theme park in Nerang. The first overseas investment of Songcheng would feature an Aboriginal Cultural Village, a Mysterious Orient precinct and a Wild Australia stage show, Australian Financial Review reports.

The firm would spend US$66 million (A$89 million) in purchasing land, located 10 kilometres from Surfers Paradise, at Nerang. The US$300 million (A$406 million) would be for design and construction of the Australian Legendary theme park.

According to Gold Coast Bulletin, Australian Legendary Kingdom would be built on a flood-prone land between the Nerang River and Nerang train station. The 40.45-hectare land at Lakeview Drive is close to Metricon Stadium.

Roland Evans, agent of Canford Property, who negotiated the unconditional sale, says it would result in former owners of the land – Wanda and Ridong – receiving US$55 million (A$74 million) or more than twice the US$20.8 million (A$28.1 million) it paid in 2013. Evans says the price appreciation indicates how strong Chinese interest is in Australian properties, particularly in Gold Coast.

Songcheng, in its filing with the stock exchange, says the overseas investment meets the company’s overall development strategy and is a key strategy for Songcheng to become the top stage show company in the world. The firm has secured support from Gold Coast authorities and approval from the Foreign Investment Review Board. Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate would meet with Songcheng officials in December.

Songcheng operates the Sanya Romance Park, Sanya Songcheng Color Zoo, Sanya Songcheng Ice and Snow World and Sanya Songcheng Langlanglang Water Park which receive millions of visitors each year

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/chinese-firm-plans-gold-coast-legendary-kingdom-theme-park-1534351

So, what are our thoughts on this one? Looking into their other parks they are more "show stage" and "cultural precinct" then the typical Amusement Park we are used to. http://www.songcn.com/hzcity_en/

But, the $400 million build budget leaves a lot of room to play. Based on the article is it this rather large parcel of land attached.

Capture.PNG

Loved the triple m article about this with photos of roller coasters... 

Zero clue. 

Sounds like it will be an AOS/PC/Corroboree in one destination with an added Chinese cultural element. 

If it brings more tourists to the coast that in turn bring supplemental visitation and $$$ to our theme parks then it can't be a bad thing..

It’s an overflow area.  It floods if it looks like rain is coming.  Wanda Group have dodged a bullet letting it go.  Tom Tate can jump up and down with excitement as much as he wants but the Nerang river is a bitch to design around.

flood.jpg

Edited by YLFATEEKS

The word theme park seems to be used to describe everything.  I feel better calling it a themed attraction focused on the Asian market.  This reminded me when I went to the sheep shearing show at DW and I was the only Aussie in the audience.  I almost was the one that needed the translator.:D

Edited by YLFATEEKS

I don't think they should build in the Gold Coast, we already have so many on the Gold Coast. Most families only have admission to one bundle of parks and it will be tough for them to survive, especially if it's anything like paradise Country.

Anyway, I probably send something incorrect and will get downvoted

50 minutes ago, Life said:

If they don't raise and fill it, the next owner will... The government wouldn't have released they land if it was considered unsafe to fill as per the flood plans.

I never said they couldn't make use of the land I'm telling you your solutions of damming the water out and making it somebody else's problem is incorrect.    

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

I don't think they should build in the Gold Coast, we already have so many on the Gold Coast. Most families only have admission to one bundle of parks and it will be tough for them to survive, especially if it's anything like paradise Country.

It's targeted to Chinese tourists - not Australian residents - so I wouldn't worry about that but I understand where you're coming from. Anyway, here's a great video that would explain the logic behind setting up a new theme park brand at the Gold Coast (particularly from a large foreign company). Just apply the analogy to theme parks:

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

5 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Most families only have admission to one bundle of parks and it will be tough for them to survive, especially if it's anything like paradise Country.

It is targeted at international visitors and not local families. I also see something like this is a complimentary attraction for overseas visitors. Most of our parks compliment each other when it comes to offerings for international visitors. Dreamworld has the wildlife and corroboree, Movie World the shows, Sea World marine animals, Paradise Country is a bit of an overlap of Dreamworlds offering. Whilst we see competition when it comes from a local point of view for a tour guide with Asian guests doing all the parks has something different to offer.

From the age:

"Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate does not believe it is too soon after the Dreamworld disaster to start talking about planning another theme park in the region."

Full article: http://www.theage.com.au/business/new-gold-coast-theme-park-not-too-soon-after-dreamworld-tragedy-mayor-20161122-gsuur6.html

I think people massively over estimate the amount of international visitation an Australian theme park gets.  There is a reason that Paradise Country has been going after the local market so hard lately, and that reason isn't an over abundance of international guests.  When you talk about how many international visitors a park gets a day, even a park like Paradise Country, most days you're talking about a couple hundred, not a couple thousand.  Everyone thinks Outback Spectacular is sustained by internationals, and I'm pretty sure that was the goal when they built it, but from everything I've seen since it opened Australians make up the vast majority of the audience there.  I'd be surprised if 20% of the other parks attendance was made up of international tourists. 

So the idea you can get enough Chinese tourists to an attraction in Australia based on Chinese culture to sustain a $500million investment I think is a massive departure from reality.  Unless there is a traditional theme park buried in the plans somewhere to get the locals involved, this will fail.  On the other hand I'm not totally convinced that the plan is to actually build it either.

17 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

I never said they couldn't make use of the land I'm telling you your solutions of damming the water out and making it somebody else's problem is incorrect.    

Sadly it hasn't stopped them up my way, a housing estate built up 2 metres in a flood basin. Glad I don't live in that area as the roads will go well under. 

@joz:

VRTP's Gold Coast theme parks enjoyed increasing visits by Chinese guests (now accounting for 8% of attendance) - with new flights into the Gold Coast and Brisbane being rapidly added, this is generally considered the beginning of a substantial visitation growth curve.

As Ardent Leisure published their attendance figures, I'll use that as an example so assuming DW's Chinese attendance is the same as VRTP: DW's 2016 attendance - 2,413,937 = average daily attendance - 6613 people & 8% of that is 529 Chinese guests per day.

*DW meaning Dreamworld, Whitewater World & SkyPoint.

So you're probably right when you say:

3 hours ago, joz said:

When you talk about how many international visitors a park gets a day, even a park like Paradise Country, most days you're talking about a couple hundred, not a couple thousand.

But as VRTP & Ardent Leisure's annual reports say, Chinese visitation is growing but how long does this growth have to continue for so a Gold Coast theme park targeted solely to Chinese tourists gets a sustainable average attendance of 6600 Chinese guests per day? (Assuming the park is like DW in size & scope)

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

An artist impression of the Songcheng group’s planned theme park at Carrara. Imaged supplied by Canford Property GroupAn artist impression of the Songcheng group’s planned theme park at Carrara. Imaged supplied by Canford Property Group

Developers moving on $600m stafe one of new Gold Coast theme park

index&t_product=GoldCoastBulletin&td_device=mobile
Kathleen Skene, Gold Coast Bulletin

index&t_product=GoldCoastBulletin&td_device=mobileA CHASM through a replica of Uluru opening up to an indoor land of snow and ice is just the beginning of a businessman’s plans for a new ‘world’ on the Gold Coast to be built on his $55 million new block of land at Nerang.

Songcheng Group chairman Huang Qiaoling plans to immediately begin work on development approvals for the $600-million first stage of his Australian Legends World after the sale of the land, from fellow Chinese theme park group Wanda, which settled yesterday.

A ferry service on the Nerang River from the park to Metricon Stadium and Surfers Paradise is also part of the plan.

7975e27c12d8751d4e10e35b5c504e35?width=650Canford Property's Roland Evans with Moncrieff MP Steven Ciobo, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Songcheng chairman Huang Qiaoling and CEO Huang Hongming.

Mr Huang’s company operates theme parks across China, centred around dramatic dance, music and hi-tech, circus-like performances on transforming stages of lights, water and sound.

Australian Legends World will have three key performance zones, including a main theatre and a more immersive experience named Phantom of the Gold, which tells stories of the gold rush.

Precincts called “Mysterious Orient” will be created, which include a Tibetan section and replica of a village in southwest China known as “Kingdom of the Women”, where a tribe called the Musuo trace their ancestry through the women instead of the men and where females are head of the households.

A performance based on the arrival of Captain Cook to Australia, featuring a replica of the HMS Endeavour, will also be staged at the riverside park where the chairman also plans to build an “Aboriginal Cultural Village” and a small Australian wildlife park, “The Colour Zoo”.

Mr Huang is the self-taught chief director of all his shows in China and masterplans all his theme parks himself.

Through a translator he told the Gold Coast Bulletin the parts of the development themed around indigenous Australian culture would not be based on any specific Aboriginal tribe or nation.

He said he had respect for Aboriginal cultures which would be conveyed by what he created.“We have been to Aboriginal and cultural villages in New Zealand and Australia and thought they didn’t go deep enough to discover the culture,” he said.

“Our creation department has already in different cities gone to the museums to learn the stories.

“We met with the Arts Minister (Mitch Fifield) and the Prime Minister (Malcolm Turnbull) yesterday to seek their support.

“We will look into the cultures deeply to make sure everything is right.”

Theatrical performances about Australian soldiers and their experiences in foreign conflicts, as well as a story of how modern Australia evolved, are also planned.

“We won’t compete with the current theme parks on the Gold Coast because we are totally different,” Mr Huang said.

“We have ability to build rides and water parks the same as Sea World and Movieworld but we don’t want to do that but we want to do something that has never happened on the Gold Coast.”

Songcheng has recruited Gold Coast Canford Property agent Roland Evans, who sold the land to them this year and Wanda in 2013, as an adviser and buyer’s agent for this and future investments in Australia.