Future Attractions in Australia

Intimidator305.

I know I'm going to get a lot of criticism for starting a new thread and I know we have enough already, but I have had so many ideas about future attractions but I haven't been bale to find a thread that follows that idea. So this thread is for enthusiasts to go full nerd and right mega posts about every detail of what they'd like to see as future attractions. Something like what joz did with Seaworld. Just go crazy.

To start some conversation off, I wanted to discuss an idea that had kind of been going through my head. In some other topics, we had been discussing a lot of space up the back of Movie World near Wild West falls. I reckon that a woodie would go really nicely there. And if Movie World wanted to go full out why no an RMC? They've already done a lot rides all over the world so I could definitely see that as a possibility. But to be a bit more realistic, I think VRTP could purchase a woodie shuttle like Switchback at ZDT's. It would fit the lineup nicely. At the moment rides, we know would have been constructed at Movie World are full circuits. Now a woodie shuttle would be very good and would round out the lineup nicely. We would have a woodie ticked off, and a shuttle ticked off and a new unique ride that would attract a lot of attention, especially if the park already had a hyper as well. I don't have the time to go full blown theorizing on it yet, but I will have a post with a lot more detail later. IF you have any other ideas, post below...

For future attractions in Australia, I still see no volume anywhere to warrant a Disney park. I reckon Sydney can support a Theme Park, especially if it is built somewhere near Badgerys Creek.

Sunshine Coast could see one somewhere between the Maroochy River and Coolum, but only once the Sunshine Coast airport has its' new runway and Terminal built to better cater for international visitors.

In terms of attractions at existing parks...
- A large, more conventional coaster at Dreamworld, I'm not picky about the type, B&M would be ideal
- A thrill ride at Sea World, maybe something like Manta or Mako in the US
- A few more family/thrill flats at WBMW to spread the crowds and queues
- Expansion of WhiteWater World, which is obviously happening gradually
- Another roller coaster (not necessarily a big one though) at Aussie World
- Ditto at LPS
- Expand the FunTime/Adrenalin Park back to its old size, Sling Shot and Vomatron aren't enough alone
- More THEMED rides with STORYLINES, like Bermuda Triangle and WWF. There is a noticeable lack in Australia, after seeing parks overseas in Japan. Animatronics and immersiveness are something we undervalue, particularly on the GC.

In terms of future attractions in locations that don't yet exist...
- A second theme park somewhere on the Sunshine Coast
- A second (dry) theme park in Sydney, maybe Wonderland reopening, maybe somewhere new
- I would hope to see a Disney park, but I don't think Australia is ready for that yet
- Ditto for Universal (heck, maybe even a Six Flags if we get the crowds to support it eventually)
- A larger, DW-sized park somewhere OTHER THAN the Gold Coast (maybe Sydney/Melbourne/Sunshine Coast)

27 minutes ago, ClassifiedLlama said:

Okay, I was just watching this news report on dreamworld from channel 9, and I noticed what looked like a ride piece behind the storm coaster at SeaWorld. Is this just an old video or is this a new ride??

Assuming you mean the yellow thing. I believe it's a mesh kind of barrier filter to stop certain things from entering the waterways. 

Movie World:

With the hyper coming next year, they're currently the only park that can really afford to lie low for a few years. A couple of both family and thrilling capacity-chewing flats would be ideal. They'll definitely be in the top position by 2018 and aren't in dire need of anything specific other than a few flat rides to expand the park and draw out crowds.

Dreamworld:

Unlike MW, Dreamworld have reached that time where they need a new 'big' ride. Probably for most, this is a nice big rollercoaster. Personally, I'd like to see something filled with airtime, and the big rollercoaster that sticks out to me to achieve this is definitely a woodie. If DW had money to throw around an awesome RMC woodie would be fantastic, but unfortunately the recent events mean they probably don't have this money. However I'd still love to see a smaller GCI or similar because they're a great company if you're wanting something small, thrilling, airtime-packed, and attractive to all audiences all at the same time.

On the other hand, Dreamworld could do with a B&M, but this is definitely off the realism scale. Any B&M would be great for the park - an intense invert, a graceful flyer or wing, or something completely different, it would work at Dreamworld. However, the ride that I see them adding the most would be a Mack Big Dipper like Slick mentioned, I think it would give great airtime, some nifty inversions, and have a reasonable capacity too.

Retheming or doing something with the now almost-ghost-town of gold rush would be great for the park, and it would serve as an opportunity to replace TRRR with a cool new family ride, and even expand out to blue-lagoon and add the rollercoaster they desperately need. And why not add an immersive dark-ride while they're at it?

White Water World:

If the rumoured expansion of WWW next year is true, I think this park will be in a good place by 2018. A new slide tower could pull it up closer to WnW's size, and personally if the park keeps on doing the little things they do better than WnW (conveyor belts on slides, sprinklers on paths, etc) this could be the preferred waterpark within a few years. I'd like to see some large body slides or possibly something cutting-edge and high-thrill in waterslide technology. Possibly a huge mammoth-style slide or some sort of 'wave' slide would be cool too.

Wet n Wild:

I think after MW's hyper they're next in line for a new ride? While there are a few water slides that would be good for WnW, I'd prefer to see VRTPs throwing some money towards Sea World instead. However if they still roll with WnW, I think they need to spend some time matching the things that WWW does best, as I said in the WWW segment. No matter how many slides WnW gets, I think the small conveniences that WWW has and they don't brings the quality of the park down a bit. As for slides here, I would say maybe a large-scale version of WWW's triple-vortex (with a wider slide and clover rafts) or some sort of LIM or master-blaster slide would be good for the park.

Sea World:

Along with Dreamworld, this is the park that desperately needs something. I guess you could argue which one needs something more - Sea World currently has many gaps in their lineup - they're missing a 'big' thrilling coaster, could do with an awesome dark ride, and we don't have any idea what's happening with Vikings. Dreamworld on the other hand can be seen needing something more because it's going to be hard to find something to bring back some of their guests. So potentially they could be in need of three big things very soon.

So for the rollercoaster? I could see many things here. A Mack multi-launch? A 4D free-fly or even one of Intamin's new 4D concepts? A lot of things would be great, I think something thrilling, but not too intense, and something that changes the skyline of SW would be awesome. Even a tower ride of some sort would be cool, like a starflyer or drop tower. I'd love to see the views from that height above the Gold Coast.

Dark ride possibilities are numerous, it's Sea World, how hard is it to come up with an underwater-themed dark ride? Family rides if vikings close would be trickier, but a dark ride could actually fill its place quite nice, with Storm and Battle Boats giving the two wet rides at the park. I still think Vikings will be around for a few years longer though, it's not as if the park needs the space or anything and keeping it there probably doesn't hurt (don't quote me on that though, I could easily be wrong).

Sea World has a lot of land now, the reclaimed land combined with Sea Viper's land would be great space for a massive coaster such as a multi-launch. A 4D coaster of some sort would only need a fraction of that land, and they could easily use the rest for either a new ride or ride(s) or a themed area. 

Other Parks:

Aussie World could do with a small coaster (but maybe a bit more thrilling than a Wacky Worm), and Adventure World has the sky as their limit. I'm sure that the team there have big plans.

MW: I can't see them installing a new ride for at least two years after the hyper opens, so I don't know about this one.

DW: Unlike MW this park really needs something new, having not installed a single ride for three years since Tail Spin opened in 2013. I'd love to see a Mack Watercoaster similar to Storm replace Eureka and TRRR, or go bigger and put in a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster in the site and possibly expand to the Blue Lagoon site. I can't see DW doing something massive as most of us hope, given Ardent have spent plenty of cap cleaning up the park for the Commonwealth Games. I could see either that or a refurb of the Dreamworld Tower rides, given that they are DW's flagship attractions and they'll need to be looking good for the Commonwealth Games.

WWW: Build a proper AquaLoop or introduce back mats on Wedgie. Either that or build a Boomerango.

AW: After MI3 gets built, I think it's time for AW to give Inferno the boot and replace it with a Larson drop tower. Those are much more terrifying than Intamin ones, and I've been on both types.

LPS: This park needs to speed up the replacement of the older Huss rides, and build a ride in the spot where Flying Saucer used to occupy. The management should be taking notes when they hire rides for the holidays (such as Freak Out), as they would work out great as permanent rides. 

Also, build an El Loco. I've said this many times.

SW: Install a ride in the area Corkscrew used to occupy and I'm happy.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

I'd love to see a Mack Watercoaster similar to Storm

Build a proper AquaLoop

Also, build an El Loco.

Given the small size of the Australian market, and the number of ride choices out there we are still to get, i'm wondering why you are being so conservative and wanting rides you've already done?

5 hours ago, Gazza said:

Given the small size of the Australian market, and the number of ride choices out there we are still to get, i'm wondering why you are being so conservative and wanting rides you've already done?

Well given, construction and import costs for rides are significantly higher here than in some other place like America. I'd love to see a B&M or an RMC at Dreamworld too like most other people but in the end it's extremely costly to build one of those. 

I'd love to see a coaster like Dæmonen for Luna Park Sydney. It's a very tight layout, but I think a coaster like that would be able to fit in the Tumlebug area (where the previous Big Dipper was) and also out into the Maloney's Corner. However, the Tumblebug and (probably) Spider would need to be removed, but IMO, a coaster is way more impressive than 2 poorly run flat rides.

Movie World

In my opinion Movie World should really focus all its investments on making it into more of, well, a movie world!

Currently there's far too much emphasis on DC comic related characters, and besides that there's not all that much to really make you feel you're in a world of movies.

There was when it first opened, and I'd like to see that return. Needs to be a good mix of all movie genres.

Sea World

Hardly any rides now unless you're under 10 years of age. Rides should obviously have a sea related theme. I really miss Bermuda Triangle (which in my opinion was the best ride in Australia by a long way), and I also miss the chairlifts.

Dreamworld

I never really explored Dreamworld until I moved to Queensland, mainly because I always just got the Village pass and couldn't afford entry to Dreamworld as well. However I had assumed Dreamworld was (at risk of repeating what I said about Movie World) like being in a world of dreams! Sadly, it's more like a fairground for the most part, although the animals do give it another side, but it's still not a dream world.

So I'd love to see some amazing attractions at Dreamworld (and they don't all have to be rides) which take you into a world of fantasy and dreams. There are too many possibilities for me to try to describe them all here now, but it just takes imagination!

5 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Well given, construction and import costs for rides are significantly higher here than in some other place like America. I'd love to see a B&M or an RMC at Dreamworld too like most other people but in the end it's extremely costly to build one of those. 

No but the point is you're talking aqualoops, el locos and water coasters.

There's plenty of water slides and coasters of similar size and cost, but not yet built here.

Edited by Gazza

3 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Dreamworld

However I had assumed Dreamworld was (at risk of repeating what I said about Movie World) like being in a world of dreams!

So you expected Dreamworld to look like this?

902b28a0b9e7c23e755b9cc862f618e0.jpg

I judge dreamworld not off its name but off the old "so many worlds in one" slogan. I agree that it needs to work its way back to this though, as at the moment Dreamworld is more of a couple of worlds and a bunch of misplaced rides in one.

Yeah, i never expected Dreamworld to appear as though you are in a dream... I'm not sure how you'd even fulfil a brief in trying create that. 

But if that's what we are heading for, I'm all for Miranda Kerr pouring beers while Margot Robbie gives me a massage in the queue line.. (we may run into some conflicting licensing issues though as Margot would be in her Harley Quinn get up)... waking up in 3, 2, 1....

Edited by Brad2912

7 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Movie World

In my opinion Movie World should really focus all its investments on making it into more of, well, a movie world!

Currently there's far too much emphasis on DC comic related characters, and besides that there's not all that much to really make you feel you're in a world of movies.

There was when it first opened, and I'd like to see that return. Needs to be a good mix of all movie genres.

The only thing really is even the movie studios are focusing on comics, it's clearly where the market is at the moment. Look at how many Marvel movies Disney is churning out, plus their TV network ABC has Agents Of S.H.I.E.LD, then all the shows the have on Netflix. While Warner Bros. is trying to get their DC comics to replicate what Marvel has been doing, not to mention TV Network The CW has 4 DC TV shows and Fox has one.

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head, its clearly the flavour of the month!

10 minutes ago, Original said:

The only thing really is even the movie studios are focusing on comics, it's clearly where the market is at the moment. Look at how many Marvel movies Disney is churning out, plus their TV network ABC has Agents Of S.H.I.E.LD, then all the shows the have on Netflix. While Warner Bros. is trying to get their DC comics to replicate what Marvel has been doing, not to mention TV Network The CW has 4 DC TV shows and Fox has one.

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head, its clearly the flavour of the month!

True perhaps, but I believe there's been at least a couple of big movies shot in the last year or so that were nothing to do with DC Comics. Pirates of the Caribean was one if I'm not mistaken.

4 hours ago, Santa07 said:

So you expected Dreamworld to look like this?

902b28a0b9e7c23e755b9cc862f618e0.jpg

That could be a magical way for a theme park to look yes. However it isn't just about how it looks. It's about the experience. To me, the experience of being at Dreamworld is essentially not much different than going to Luna Park then to a zoo.

I'm not saying it's boring. Just that it's not what I hoped for based on the name, and not what I'd like it to be.

I am being fussy though, but when you live somewhere with so many amazing things to see and do, you can afford to be!