Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

Do you think the thrill rides are shut because of PR reasons, cost reasons, or they are finishing off some safety checks (perhaps their internal one)?

Either way, I kind of think it looks bad to see the park reopen with so few rides. It gives the illusion that the rides weren't safe enough to open imo.

Dreamworld victims' mum will revisit park

December 1, 2016 12:03pm
Darren CartwrightAustralian Associated Press

The mother of Dreamworld ride victims Kate Goodchild and Luke Dorsett has no issues with the Gold Coast theme park reopening next week and plans to revisit, says a family friend.

Sandra Brookfield, who organised a crowd funding page which raised more than $67,000 for Ms Goodchild's two daughters, told AAP Kim Dorsett will one day visit Dreamworld, which reopens on Saturday December 10.

"She's all good with it, she's fine. She does plan to revisit at some stage," Ms Brookfield told AAP.

Dreamworld's reopening coincides with the first day of Queensland's summer school holidays.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

Thats the right sort of positive press they need at this point - although Kim lost a son and a daughter. Not two daughters.

I think the comment in the article was relating to raising funds for Kate's 2 daughters - "a crowd funding page which raised more than $67,000 for Ms Goodchild's two daughters"

Edited by rac2703

Have come across this page on DWs website explaining what will be open and on once the park reopens (I know some of this info has already been mentioned, but just adding it again for a complete summary): https://www.dreamworld.com.au/park-info/whats-open

In summary, every ride at DW will be closed, but the ABC KIDS WORLD Fun Spot, Bananas In Pyjamas Fun Maze, Giggle and Hoot Pirate Ship and Play School Art Room will be open. All slides at WWW are open. So in total between the 2 parks there will be 12 rides open, 6 attractions (All wildlife, stores, dreamworks, ABC Kids world and Motorsport will be open). There will be 8 shows to see throughout the day, most being on the stage beside Cave of Waves, but the usual animal presentations and character appearances will occur. It also says on this page that the parks are open 9am until 5:30pm.

It does say that the page is a  summary of each ride and attractions status for each day’s opening. Please continue to check back to this page for updates.

So we might see a couple of DWs rides open next weekend, as their multi-tiered safety audit are completed, but this from what Craig said in an interview a couple of days ago, they aren't in a rush to get the rides open, and they will reopen once the audit is thoroughly completed. So there may still be some rides closed during the summer crowds.

Interesting, with all the wording like Joz and most of the world I expected to see Dreamworks family attractions open (ie everything but Pandamonium) but looks like thats not the case.

That said, Craig was on 612 ABC the other morning talking about the reopening, and he said that there may be more rides open including some bigger rides, but at this stage the list they have provided is all they can confidently say will be open. Lets hope more come online, however judging by how set in stone that new web page seems to be, then i'm not holding my breath.

See that makes sense about being conservative with the list they're putting out, they might even know deep down that the Dreamworks stuff will totally be done by then.  

So what's the other rides they should have going?  You'd say Claw Wipeout and the Train would be the ideal candidates to get going first?  Oh and btw, if they do get the train going, close Billabong Cafe station and Rocky Hollow Station and also just run it constantly rather than every half hour.

From all the info given by DW, I would have assumed the entirety of dreamworks would be operating, including rides. I hope they do get that through sign-off etc this week as the inclusion of those rides at least makes options available for a slightly older age bracket. 

Disappointing if they have reneged on the $25 per pass holder donation. Whilst I know that was going to hit them heavy in the pocket, like it was mentioned earlier, 90% of the attendance on the weekend will be passholders, especially given the ride lineup available.. hopefully the removal of passholders from the spiel was an oversight.. 

Regarding the Dreamworks Experience, they've only ever said 'attractions' - never rides but it's fair to assume the general public would think that includes rides.

Other than the shops which are definitely opening, if the Madagascar Live! Prepare To Party show is held, Madagascar Water Fun is definitely operating & the roaming characters hang only around their respective areas of the Experience, it's fair enough to call it an operating 'attraction'.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Are rides not an attraction?

if you tell me the attractions at the Dreamworks Experience will be open, that means the rides.

Given the Madagascar show only plays once a day, or twice in peak, you could only consider that an attraction for 40mins a day. The water spraying characters are hardly an attraction. 

3 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

I think its because they want the public to slowly feel safer with their rides again. By starting with opening the smaller and simpler rides and then as the publics trust starts to return reopening the bigger thrill rides as time goes on.

I dont know, i feel like if they made a confident return and said yup all rides have been thoroughly checked over and certified safe it would instill confidence into the general public moreso than opening up a mostly not operating theme park. That reeks of no confidence. 

I feel like the park has just succumbed so hard to the media. It's just pandering now for PR sake. They need to get their mojo/confidence back and be like "yup, we're back! for good! better than ever" etc. It is a very touchy situation i get that, but i feel they've swung to far to that direction if you get what i mean? 

6 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I have no issue with the soft opening minus thrill rides, as long as everyone entering the park knows that they are getting. 

Most families & people will make a cautious approach to going on rides at DW for a little while, regardless of sign offs. This allows people to ease into it. 

I can already see the media spinning the soft opening like "Dreamworld reopens; with many rides closed which have been deemed unsafe!" I shouldn't give them any ideas...

27 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

I can already see the media spinning the soft opening like "Dreamworld reopens; with many rides closed which have been deemed unsafe!" I shouldn't give them any ideas...

That would then lead to a massive lawsuit against the media agency.. 

'Deemed unsafe' and 'in the process of being signed off' are two very different things.. 

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Are rides not an attraction?

Yes, they are attractions - they do 'attract' people but I always thought in the theme park industry that rides & attractions are considered separate with 'attractions' being everything but rides & shops so in that sense, 'attractions' to me in a theme park means shows, exhibits, arcades, walk-throughs, roaming characters etc.

1 hour ago, SunshineTom said:

Why would they bother opening with most of the rides shut?

One reason is that the animals that DW care for are used to seeing visitors. Another reason might be that operational costs might be too high if they are expect low crowds initially. Best to have the amount of rides/attractions operating match the amount of people visiting the park.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

• Richard changed the title to Dreamworld reopening - the summer season
  • Gazza locked this topic