Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

My wife and I visited Dreamworld today and we thought the park looked as good as always.

To answer some of the comments that have been made lately.

1. The train was not operating today but is expected to be operational tomorrow.

2. I did not observe any merchandise with the river rapids on it.

3. I thought the crowds were better then expected. Now that the park is open, the tour operators will place this back on their packages. Crowds from overseas will increase.

4. A one day pass is WWW and Dreamworld combined. They will only be checking that young kids entering WWW is accompanied with an adult.

5. Most kids rids were available so Madagascar was there to ride if you need your fix.

6. I noticed that the log ride was fenced off but nothing physically has been altered. In fact the fountain in the middle of the lake is still on even though it is hard to observe. I am hoping the ride is fenced off for now while water rides is a sentive issue, but reopened in the future. If there is no fault with the ride I hope they can develop some sort of restraint to satisfy safety requirements. 

Overall I still think this is one of the best parks on the Gold Coast and will definitely fill a day once the big rides come on board.

Now that you mention it, for people visiting Dreamworld tomorrow have a look at the condition of the river outside the Billabong restaurant.

I did not observe the usual eels or turtles disturbing the water. 

A solution like a fountain would need to be installed there. But of course other issues would be a priority at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

There was a waterfall near the Billabong Buffet Restaurant railway station. I don't know if it still operates but wouldn't that have the same purpose as the Rocky Hollow fountain? If it doesn't operate, maybe time to turn it back on?

I have never seen the fountain operating, but have observed it on old park maps.

Also it would have been a cool effect when going past on the train.

It's been turned off for a little while now, I'm not 100% but I believe there was an issue with either the pump or the structure itself or both.  @Slick probably knows.

I went down to the park today, while it was good to see it open again I think they really need a few of those big rides open as soon as possible.  It creates a slightly eerie feeling of 'somethings not ok here' which I think totally makes sense on the first couple days, but I think they may want to fix that perception.  Rides like Claw, Wipeout, Shockwave and ToT will help the most I think.  Most of the people there I saw were families with young kids, so I'd say there isn't a problem with attendance, but rather they just successfully got the word out that the thrill rides are closed, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of people who thought the park would be too busy.  A final point on attendance, December is a quiet month.  After Boxing Day it goes off, but before Boxing Day everyone is too busy Christmas shopping to do theme parks.  

1,100 is a low turnout, but it's what happens after Boxing Day that'll tell us what the recovery will be like.

But yeah otherwise I'd also echo the sentiment that the staff were fantastic, really going above and beyond at any chance they could, and you could tell they really tried to keep the crowds entertained as best they could with plenty of street entertainment.  

Also just a totally random one, noticed Dingos in cub kindy at one point during the day; great idea!

1 hour ago, wipeout94 said:

2. I did not observe any merchandise with the river rapids on it.

3. I thought the crowds were better then expected. Now that the park is open, the tour operators will place this back on their packages. Crowds from overseas will increase.

4. A one day pass is WWW and Dreamworld combined. They will only be checking that young kids entering WWW is accompanied with an adult.

It is near impossible to find TTR on anything, that was made sure of. Although one thing remains I will leave you guys to guess. They even are using generic white plastic bags until new stock arrives

I thought the crowds were as expected by myself personally.

Can also confirm 4. 

Will add my 5c regarding today.

I attended from aprox 10:30AM until close. 

All the staff were great, many that know me as a frequent guest ran up to me, said my name. Most of the suit characters gave me hugs without prompting. Everyone is excited to have guests in the park, especially the dingos.

Not on the showtimes, but there is also a tap/parkour kinda show, will post images/video from that later.

Great atmosphere in the park due to everyone being so friendly. The park is looking great, and definitely is quite strange without the thrill rides going. Was just speaking to a mate who works here and said crowds yesterday were about 4,000 which is a slow day and heading towards about the same today. He did say that about 12,000+ is a really good day, and hopefully within a couple of weeks ones they will be heading towards that type of crowds again.

On 10 December 2016 at 2:08 PM, SunshineTom said:

Unless you have proof i am an another account, it's about time everyone shuts the hell up about it. You're just trying to discredit me because i dare tell the truth and gravity of the situation Dreamworld is in. Everyone else here seems happy to carry on with the illusion that all is fine and dandy. 

We know for certain its you so please don't fly off the handle at someone suggesting it. 

And yes, of course we have proof. 

5 hours ago, themagician said:

Was just speaking to a mate who works here and said crowds yesterday were about 4,000 which is a slow day and heading towards about the same today.

About 4000 is very good if their daily average attendance is about 6000 (or less if I could somehow exclude SkyPoint's daily average attendance to that figure). I know there are variations in attendances due to holidays & weather etc. (like you said 12,000 is a very good day) but if they just follow the average until Boxing Day, that would be good for DW.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

6 hours ago, djrappa said:

We know for certain its you so please don't fly off the handle at someone suggesting it. 

And yes, of course we have proof. 

It just goes to prove my theory from this post:

POP returns under cover of anonymity - no baggage from the old account, and literally within a week everyone hates the new account and has worked out who it is to boot.  Still not time to ask "Maybe it's me?" yet, POP?

1 hour ago, SunshineTom said:

Id like to know the visitor numbers today for the first non charity day. This will be a true indication of how they're going to fare in the near future :D

Nope, it's not a good indication until all the rides are open, peak season starts up, and people actually know the park is open again

Another reason you cannot use today's figures is because people who want the thrill rides won't be showing up until the open. No connection to the incident just the rides aren't open, so they don't show up. I know a fair few people who didn't go on the weekend but will be going back as soon as the rides start opening again. 

11 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

Interesting, you'd think families with young children would alone be able to make the park full. But apparently the park now is relying on teenagers, lol. You couldn't make it up.

Not sure where you live, but most of the residents of the northern GC are families. Families consist of 1 or 2 of these things called parents, and quite often these parents go to work so there kids get things like Xmas presents and annual theme park passes. Most parents don't have the luxury of having 6 weeks of annual leave when school finishes, so with today being Monday, they are at Work.. the kids are at daycare, grandmas, the neighbours, or fending for themselves at home. 

• Richard changed the title to Dreamworld reopening - the summer season
  • Gazza locked this topic