Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

Was amazed when I drove past at 1pm and saw a definitely less than 20% full carpark, and when you take into account half those parks are probably staff cars...

even the WWW towers had less than a single flight queues. 

Hoping it was due to Boxing Day sales and we see a big uplift tomorrow 

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Was amazed when I drove past at 1pm and saw a definitely less than 20% full carpark, and when you take into account half those parks are probably staff cars...

even the WWW towers had less than a single flight queues. 

Hoping it was due to Boxing Day sales and we see a big uplift tomorrow 

omgosh that's terrible poor DW. Hope it doesn't go broke but if it doesn't pick it up it's heading to brokesville fast.

Edited by SunshineTom

Given DW are generously offering additional hours of trading for their Nightime show, perhaps people are visiting later in the day? 

It was always expected that Visitor numbers would be very low while the Park still keeps many thrill rides closed.

Visiting DW, that's what I am doing later today. I'm looking forward to spending time with the animals, enjoying a meal and seeing the show later tonight.

Can't wait!!!!

Here's a couple of pics I took last night. The Tiger Island billboard has been changed over, and the Cub Kindy shop has gone. All Kevil Hill themed again now ☺️ From what I've heard also, it's just the maze. 

20161226_195738.jpg

PANO #6.jpg

Also have good reason to believe that the Tailspin will be reopening tomorrow. Apparently the Wipeout is not far from its public return, either ☺️?

Given Boxing Day has past, I thought I'd share this graph from Google Trends:

GoogleTrendsMWDWTickets.jpg

The red line is the search term 'movie world tickets' while the blue line is the search term 'dreamworld tickets'. The purple line is December 20-26 2015 while the black line is October 23-29 2016. The right side of the graph is currently the statistics for December 25-31 2016 so these statistics are incomplete as there are still 4 days left in that time period.

I also noticed DW added this to their 'What's Open' webpage:

Tickets are discounted whilst selected thrill rides are currently closed. Tickets and Pass pricing is higher at the gate. 

Does this mean prices will increase once all the thrill rides have re-opened? And (this may be a incorrect interpretation) that online tickets/passes are now the only tickets/passes discounted?

On 24/12/2016 at 11:29 PM, bladex said:

it's in one of the rapids incident threads. they put a new restraint in and a new gate in the operators booth and something else.

Yeah, those were the changes required in the prohibition notices. DW didn't decide to 'change' Buzzsaw first - they are just waiting until the safety audits are completed & if the audits say the rides are safe before re-opening any of them.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added 'What's Open' quote

Just got home from a great visit to DW.. 

Highlights for me:

- Staff friendliness. DW are winning with smiles and running rings around the competition as of now. Sure, this is essential in the Parks healing, still I was really pleased at the attitude of Staff 'wanting' to be there. I really wanted to be there too and so did everyone else!

- Park appearance/aesthetics. Overall the Place is looking great with gardens in fine shape, Main Street area has never looked better, DreamWorks, wildlife and naturally, Tiger Island. I love the new shop and unique dining as well as the vast seating - great to stop and get off your feet for a while!

- the obvious areas needing visual attention are the old Murrissippi river and surrounding shore (once again looking more like a stagnant pond!) and the vast area of land occupied by SBNO Log Ride, TRRR, Mine, Blue Lagoon, BB house and former Amphitheatre area... This is a LOT of land and certainly enough to bring some amazing things to DW in the coming years. Whilst it's a big blemish on the Park at the moment it also gives hope to making for plenty of room for the future!

- Other entertainment today. I was really pleased to see live performances, characters, singing and dancing around the Park. The kids also love getting their faces painted in the Coroboree area. And for no charge!!!

- Zombie Evilution was a fantastic surprise! Having never been through it before I was really impressed. I loved the layout inside and setting as well as the energy of the Actors (about 5 working in there plus tell 2 greeting staff). 

- Fire Machine show was a great finale to a great day. Just a bunch of Lasers, pyros, smoke, light, fire and music.. Very entertaining.  Pictures don't really do the show justice, you have to be there in person. Sorry @POP I guess that means you miss out.

- Amenities throughout the Park are in great condition and maintained well, along with the rest of the grounds.

- I am loving the food variety and with recent Tiger Island additions it's just getting better. I love how pass holders get a good discount off all purchases in Park. I think around 10%? Again staff all very friendly.

- can't comment on www as we didn't go in however from the outside it's definately looking in need of some tlc.

Such a great day overall and despite only a handful of the big rides operating we didn't get bored with all the other entertainment available. I am just so pleased to see DW doing everything they can in positively restoring their image. Moving forward I really hope they keep this up with consistency and future success is guaranteed?

18 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Ok, I'm interested to see how many actors they've got in there this time since I recall reading it was a pretty poor effort last time they ran the maze during the daytime.

I went to Kevil yesterday. Seriously impressed. It was what I hoped it would be the first time I ever went in,  but instead it had been a laser skirmish with no zombies. 

Now it has a pre-show, and a very impressive scare maze. Plenty of zombies. Plenty of scares. The maze is HUGE! 

The Park was quiet yesterday but far from deserted. 

Rides were between walk-on up to about 10 minutes. WWW seemed quite busy, noticing a lot of wet people trapsing half naked and bare foot through the Park.. On that note, are there not a sufficient number of lockers over at WWW? 

As the walking area of DW is larger than the other Parks and coupled with various rides not open it was too difficult to tell the number of people there. At the Fire Machine I would say around 2000 watched and lots of people were coming and going through the day. Between WWW and DW park spread over the day, maybe around 4-5000 all up

5 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I went to Kevil yesterday. Seriously impressed. It was what I hoped it would be the first time I ever went in,  but instead it had been a laser skirmish with no zombies. 

Now it has a pre-show, and a very impressive scare maze. Plenty of zombies. Plenty of scares. The maze is HUGE! 

Standout winner for me. I enjoyed this more than any one of MW Fright Nights mazes- it goes to show a permanent scare maze definately can work in an Aussie Park

Edited by MickeyD

I was at Dreamworld twice yesterday. In the morning it was busy enough that they had parking attendants in the carpark, and the carpark was reasonably full.

I went back around 7pm for the Fire Machine show. Not as busy. Very easy to park and low queues for rides. Still enough people around to create a decent buzz. Probably about the same attendance as there was last year for BeatBox.

Amazing show!

On 27/12/2016 at 2:50 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

I also noticed DW added this to their 'What's Open' webpage:

Tickets are discounted whilst selected thrill rides are currently closed. Tickets and Pass pricing is higher at the gate. 

Does this mean prices will increase once all the thrill rides have re-opened? And (this may be a incorrect interpretation) that online tickets/passes are now the only tickets/passes discounted?

That quote from DW's 'What's Open' webpage has been removed.

Also. DW's park map has been updated...but still no Rocky Hollow Log Ride. Kevil Hill Zombie Evolution & The Fire Machine have been added though.

The updated version has also been published with the Lego Store 'opened' - even though it hasn't yet. It might be an error but they also put the Surf Central retail outlet's marker on the Lego Store's external entrance. No mention of an updated Market Place/Showbag Alley on the park map yet. DW's main exit is still through the main entrance. I have a feeling they might open the Lego Store before the new Market Place/Showbag Alley is completed but with this new park map, Lego Store looks like it's expected to open before the 15th of January.

The Whitewater World logo has been removed from the front cover of the park map too.

They have also put back on the park map the Goldrush Country label (despite the area being called Town Of Gold Rush for a few years still) after being removed in the previous version of the park map.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added park map update details

Yes, but here's the logic behind my speculation:

The park map was updated to reflect The Fire Machine & Kevil Hill Zombie Evolution - both temporary attractions. Since they also have revealed the external entrance to the Lego Store on the park map, I'd assume DW has an expectation that the Lego Store would open before the 15th of January as after that date, the park map would need updating again to remove all the Fire Machine & Kevil Hill Zombie Evoultion references. If they didn't have this expectation, they would've kept the 'Opening This Summer' graphic that hid the Lego Store's external entrance on the previous park map. I wouldn't think they would reveal the external entrance on the park map if they weren't expecting guests to soon walk into or out of it. They probably left 'Opening This Summer' on other parts of the park map to warn guests it may still be under construction & to save producing a new park map so shortly after an update.

You also posted today that things are now appearing inside the Lego Store so construction & shop fitout must nearly be complete. In the end, it's just speculation of mine.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

• Richard changed the title to Dreamworld reopening - the summer season
  • Gazza locked this topic