Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

For those who haven't seen The Fire Machine yet, I have it on good authority you'll see some pretty decent vision of it pretty soon. In the interim, here's a few shots I took recently to give you an idea of what to expect. For what it's worth, I think the show is great. It might not be technically finessed as say AOS, but as far as nightly crowd pleasers go, it has everything going for it. It's, big, loud, and a great watch to finish the day on a high with. I'd love to see it become a regular annual staple for the park and continue to build it in new and interesting ways (kind of like Sydney Vivid).

Went down to Dreamworld this afternoon... carpark was about half full but all rides were a walk-on. One thing that stuck out to me was the cheerfulness of staff... nearly every staff member I encountered seemed happy and many were talking to guests. Zombie Evilution was a pleasant surprise, not having done this as a scare maze myself I wasn't expecting much from the reviews I've read, but it was a pretty solid scare maze with several decent scares (I think the lady jumping out of the cinema screen at the start caught me off-guard the most). Staff here were amazing, when we arrived there was no-one else in the queue and the two ladies at the front were very friendly to us while we waited for people to fill the 6 people minimum. I counted 10 actors in there (plus the greeter and cinema lady), I'm not sure if I may have counted some of them twice so there may have been a few less. Fog and darkness gives off a pretty scary atmosphere, and some of the actors really do have zombie noises perfected. Overall a really solid attraction that I definitely prefer over the laser tag.

Didn't stay until the fire show since we had to get back to Brisbane, but overall the park had a really nice atmosphere. Not dead quiet, but not really busy either which meant no queues. WWW looked a little busier from the carkpark.

Edited by Santa07

6 hours ago, SunshineTom said:

Rides are walk ons when they should have massive queues as this is the busiest time of the year for them. I wonder how much they're losing daily...

No they shouldn't - I went in the evening. It's natural that the park would die off around then.

I've already explained this to others - they might not be losing money. Remember that less than half the thrill rides are open and they're not spending the money operating those and paying staff wages for attendants on those rides (tower of terror in particular because of the huge amount of power the park uses when running that) and as more rides open more people will come to the park. It's all one big cause-effect situation.

Honestly I don't even see the point of reasoning with you any more. It's about time I do this:

8Jeryjx.png

30 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

No they shouldn't - I went in the evening. It's natural that the park would die off around then.

I've already explained this to others - they might not be losing money. Remember that less than half the thrill rides are open and they're not spending the money operating those and paying staff wages for attendants on those rides (tower of terror in particular because of the huge amount of power the park uses when running that) and as more rides open more people will come to the park. It's all one big cause-effect situation.

Thats a perfectly well reasoned explanation Santa. I don't think anyone could have said it better - its a valid point, and totally shuts down any counter argument for the park to be doing poorly.

4 hours ago, Santa07 said:

"and they're not spending the money operating those and paying staff wages for attendants on those rides"

I agree with everything you said however DW have said that they have and will pay all their staff (Permeant and casual) their wages during this period as they understand that the staff still need money to survive. 

57 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

I agree with everything you said however DW have said that they have and will pay all their staff (Permeant and casual) their wages during this period as they understand that the staff still need money to survive. 

All that means is there will be less casual hours available. Whilst casual employees were paid there average wage when the park was closed, that would no longer be the case now it is opened 

Just sitting in Billabong Restaurant at the moment, our first post-TRR trip to the park. 

It is oddly quiet without the roar & screams of TOT2/GD, 

a decent crowd still in the park from what we noticed walking from the entry down to eat. 

Looking forward to a chilled out night and the Fire Machine finale. 

Lego store coming along nicely, and the big tv out the front shows they are going to every effort to ensure any visitors are aware of what's open before they head up the stairs..

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

IMG_3336.JPG

Edited by Brad2912

27 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

a decent crowd still in the park from what we noticed walking from the entry down to eat. 

Interesting, the park was deserted when I was there around midday (before POP can jump in and use this against the park - I find this is usually the case on NYD for theme parks. NYD is one of my favourite days of the year to visit a theme park as they operate at peak but generally don't have anywhere near the crowds for it hence resulting in super-short queues). Buzzsaw was cycling with near-empty trains when I rode it, and at one point Claw had no-one in queue or on the ride - just a bored attendant waiting out the front. WWW looked fairly busy from what I saw though - as it would be with weather like today's (I'm sure the girl working as the secondary op on Padamonium who was talking to me about how awful the heat was was jealous of those over there or working in Kevil Hill).

13 minutes ago, Prequel said:

Its no surprise that WWW are getting the crowds, the past few days are pretty hot.

Great observation.. 

on another note, Fire Machine was awesome! Great concept and really well done. 

On another side note, can a mod kill this thread or just rename it to Dreamworld, as it's become a "anything that's happened since re-opening weekend" thread.

• Richard changed the title to Dreamworld reopening - the summer season
  • Gazza locked this topic