Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

Struggle to fil? Or are running on single operator and keep row open to crossover?

Buzzsaw was always very polarising - lots of people avoided it because of the style of ride - and many people i know who have been on it, wouldn't go again because the harness system makes them feel very unsafe.

Combine that with it being literally the only thing through the gold rush tunnel in a dead end backwater cul de sac, and you're left with low patronage.

but if you like it - don't complain - that's not a bad thing - just means you get more rides on it without having to queue. It's not like they'd tear it down just because of low popularity - otherwise MDMC would be long gone.

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

Struggle to fil? Or are running on single operator and keep row open to crossover?

Buzzsaw was always very polarising - lots of people avoided it because of the style of ride - and many people i know who have been on it, wouldn't go again because the harness system makes them feel very unsafe.

Combine that with it being literally the only thing through the gold rush tunnel in a dead end backwater cul de sac, and you're left with low patronage.

but if you like it - don't complain - that's not a bad thing - just means you get more rides on it without having to queue. It's not like they'd tear it down just because of low popularity - otherwise MDMC would be long gone.

That's got to be some of your sloppiest posting on here I've seen in a long time! :P 

no, thats pretty usual - I just usually go back and edit it if i see it - i re-read things again after I post them. In this case I saw 'fil' but was about to head off for work and decided it got the point across and didn't care.

I don't see what the problem is with the rest of the first line - it reads ok to me...

...and capitals at the start of a sentence \ paragraph are dependent on what computer i'm on - some auto capitalise for me, and some dont. Again - it reads fine, so i didn't care.

21 hours ago, mission said:

Does Buzzsaw always have the shortest queue, I think it's one of the best rides there so I'm always a bit perplexed that it  seems to have the shortest queue - maybe because there's nothing else down that end open at the moment....?

Buzzsaw will probably have the shortest ques for a while.

only because it is next to TRR 

1 hour ago, Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ said:

Buzzsaw will probably have the shortest ques for a while.

only because it is next to TRR 

So you are saying no one goes on it because of its proximity to TRRR...  Yeah...  No...

Some of my friends don't go on it as it is a one trick pony...  Some of my friends don't go on it as it doesn't appeal to them...  I don't go on it because of my size...  My wife doesn't go on it as she dislikes rides that go backwards...  My parents don't go on it as they are not coaster people...  My son doesn't go on it because he is too short...  This was before October...  Nothing to do with proximity...

15 minutes ago, mission said:

Isn't virtually every ride a one trick pony - unless I have interpreted your meaning incorrectly?

one-trick pony
noun

1. a person or thing with only one special feature, talent, or area of expertise.

A lot of flat rides are yes...  But given this was supposed to be a oh wow gee coaster...  Not just one roll...  

I think virtually every ride would fit that definition as they all just do the same thing over and over.  Each time you ride it's the same, flat ride or not. No ride (that springs to mind) is different each time you ride it.

I guess everyone has different preferences but I rate Buzz Saw up there in the top few rides on the Gold Coast.  I went on ToT the other night after about 8 months and was a bit 'meh', I personally think it's overrated (and by overrated I mean comparing the usual queues for both rides which gives an indication of popularity) and I'd only bother if the queue is short for ToT.

Edited by mission

5 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

How were you expecting a oh wow gee coaster in the footprint BS is built on?

https://rcdb.com/9519.htm

whilst i'm not a fan of these, it shows how much more of an experience you can have in a similar footprint.

See, I can see how some people would interpret 'one trick pony' differently, but for my view, i take it to be 'a singular experience devoid of variation'.

Buzzsaw lifts you up until you're upside down, corkscrews and then drops back down to the station. Even if it repeated the loop 2-3 times would be better than what it is - its a lot of waiting, a lot of loading time, for a very disappointing and quick end. Even MDMC is more enjoyable in that sense and by that definition as it does have hills and valleys, turns, launch etc.

Fair enough, everyone's different in what they like, hence why DW etc has a variety of rides I guess.

Do you class ToT and GD the same as BuzzSaw, as in one trick pony?

I went on MDMC the other night, I guess it's aimed at being a middle ground ride (between kids rides and big rides) but I really don't see how DW can label it a 'Thrill' ride, same with Pandamonium or what ever it's called.

THat Green Lantern one you linked too looks interesting, but if it's anything like MW's I'd take BuzzSaw every time.

What I don't like about GL is it's too controlled and doesn't 'flow'.  It seams to have break points every where to reduce speed (which I get why).  Just let the train go and have gravity and good design do the work.

Edited by mission

I would class ToT as a OTP - but, at least at the time of construction it was a record breaker.

GD doesn't really fit with my thinking - i wouldn't label any flat or non-coaster as a OTP because they're very different. To explain my thought process a bit better - think about playing in RCT2 or 3 - how long does it take to build any sort of flat ride? simple - buy it, place it, give it a queueline. Tower rides are a little longer - because you're able to build it higher, but the time taken to build is still minimal - simplistic (obviously not realistic though) - whereas a coaster - unless you select a template or pre-made coaster - you can spend literally HOURS designing the track - the station placement and design can take longer than any of the other rides do - so in my thinking - when you could make so much out of it - something that goes up, and comes down again (in a "coaster" definition) without variation is a OTP.

As for the MDMC not a thrill ride - that debate has been done to death and you'll find this entire forum agrees with you - whether they like the ride or not.

The only thing GL-FF has in common with MWs GL is that they're both themed to GL - they are nothing alike. Again, whilst I am not a fan of them (i'd probably never ride one again) I still consider them to be a much better experience than BS, for the footprint.

The laterals on GL would be too extreme to run without brakes.

6 minutes ago, AlexB said:

The laterals on GL would be too extreme to run without brakes.

Agreed, that's why I don't like it and prefer BS - simple design, no brakes even if it is a short ride.

GL is too over designed, over engineered and as a result is bordering on boring imo.

32 minutes ago, mission said:

GL is too over designed, over engineered and as a result is bordering on boring imo.

What does this even mean?

If it's well made rides that you don't like, perhaps you're hoping that DW's next coaster is a Togo.

My philosophy is that you can only judge things by what they're trying to be. You can't compare a Ferrari LaFerrari and a Ford Focus RS with each other, but you can compare these with other cars that try to fulfill the same roles as them. A 12 year old boy would profess that the Ferrari is miles better than the Focus, whereas I'd say they're both fantastic cars in their own right, do a brilliant job at what they're designed to do, and are up the top of their respective classes.

BuzzSaw, while quite an intense experience, is over quickly and doesn't offer anything particularly fun or exciting in its ride cycle. It is a pretty lazily designed ride with a terrible capacity, it doesn't cater to the massess, and for the relatively niche group of people it does cater for, it does a pretty mediocre job. It feeds off of fear, and for people who are over this fear of rides, it really offers nothing.

Green Lantern is accesible for the moderate-high thrill crowd, whilst not excluding people who are accustomed to the more extreme. Think of GL as a warmup to AA and SE, whereas BuzzSaw is the most intense ride in the park below the Giant Drop. Green Lantern has a brilliant first drop, two hanging inversions, and an effective ride time longer than 30 seconds. It's a much more satisfying experience for me, it offers a reason to ride that transcends merely overcoming fear.

It's objectively a better designed ride, not just physically, but also in what markets it caters for, and in the way that it fits into the scheme of the park as a whole.

But I guess it doesn't matter for you, apparently you like things to be lazily-designed and under-engineered.

1 hour ago, mission said:

THat Green Lantern one you linked too looks interesting, but if it's anything like MW's I'd take BuzzSaw every time.

What I don't like about GL is it's too controlled and doesn't 'flow'.  It seams to have break points every where to reduce speed (which I get why).  Just let the train go and have gravity and good design do the work.

Finally someone else that prefers Buzzsaw to GL :P 

I share a similar view - I find Buzzsaw to be a lot more thrilling. For me, the sensation of speed is something that makes a rollercoaster really fun for me, and GL just doesn't have it. While GL is a longer ride, and has the soundtrack (when it's working), it's not a very forceful ride, while Buzzsaw has the crazy speed and intense Gs you get coming back through the station which for me gives it the upper edge.

That said - I'd happily take Superman or Arkham over Buzzsaw.

A zacspin in the place of Buzzsaw I'd be cautious about seeing it's a very controversial ride... would probably prefer one of the S&S 4D free-spins. Back when Buzzsaw was opening I'd definitely have preferred a Skyrocket II, but now not so much since they appear to be popping up everywhere.

But hey guys let's not turn this into a flame-war. It's personal opinion, there is no 'better' ride.

I generally work on in life – the simple things are often the best.

BuzzSaw is simple and effective – winch the train up and then let it go, it has the sensation of speed and height.  

GL is complex and relies heavily on intervention to get the train around the track.  It doesn’t go very fast and isn’t very high.   

What I mean by over engineered (maybe not the right term, probably over designed) is that I think they’ve tried to fit too much into a small platform coaster. 

My 16 yo son hates heights and is very cautious when it comes to rides.  He goes on GL and isn’t fazed, but refuses to go on BuzzSaw, no matter how much I try and coax him into it.

I just prefer coasters that use gravity, are fast, and through good design requires minimal mechanical intervention (obviously excluding starting and stopping), like Superman.

But anyway, each to their own.

Edited by mission

Green Lantern isn't powered by anything except gravity after the end of the lift. It requires the use of brakes mid course due to the size restrictions of the project. They wanted a high coaster, but they need it to slow down for the tight elements that keep its footprint small. There's no power assistance, only brakes, and frankly I hardly notice them, they're well implemented. Frankly, this is very intelligent catering to design restrictions. We can still have that awesome first drop, but the coaster also can fit into its tiny footprint, it's a Win/Win for the park.

Look at all of the coasters built in the last few years and you'll see that most of them have trim brakes for these exact reasons. 

The reason BuzzSaw doesn't have trims is because it's such a short ride that it doesn't need any.

Edited by AllegroCrab

18 minutes ago, AllegroCrab said:

it's a Win/Win for the park

It probably is as I seem to be in the minority, at least here :)

19 minutes ago, AllegroCrab said:

They wanted a high coaster, but they need it to slow down for the tight elements that keep its footprint small. 

And for me, that's where it all goes wrong. Either have a big coaster with all the elements, like inversions etc (like AA, Hot Wheels), or a small coaster without or with minimal elements (such as BuzzSaw, and Superman).  

If you have try to have both, small with lots of elements, you end up with the Green Lantern.  A coaster that isn't very high, isn't very fast and doesn't excel in any one area (except keeping the maintenance guys in a job - yep a cheap shot!).

Anyway, I think this has been done now.

Cheers

Some of the best coasters i've enjoyed over the years have been either not very high or not very fast. I don't think those two criteria are the yardstick for a coaster.

Take Jet Rescue - a very enjoyable ride where the track only JUST cracks 6 feet off the ground, and only very briefly. Much of SDSC isn't very fast - excepting a couple of drops which build some speed but quickly drop it again on an incline or brake run.

I absolutely loved the old Soap Box Derby Racers at knott's, and on my last visit, thoroughly enjoyed Pony Express.

Thing is, the highest, fastest coasters in the world tend also to be some of the most boring - high speed acceleration, uphill, back down again, (possible camel hump or two), brake run, stop. Sure - its a thrill to go fast - but i can do that in my car on my way to work... Going high? I can do that in a lift. Neither fast nor high is necessarily a good indicator of good, enjoyable, or thrilling.

An El Loco is a standard model (modified slightly at MW) to make for a different coaster experience. as has been pointed out on both sides, its purely opinion on what makes something or other good or bad. You don't need a big coaster with all the elements to be a good coaster - in fact some coasters go too far and end up turning you off (although I find it laughable you'd classify Superman Escape as a 'small' coaster and put it in the same league as Buzzsaw.

The best way to approach a coaster is to understand what it's trying to be, and appreciate it for what it is, regardless of your personal preferences on height, or speed, or inversions, and most importantly never consider MDMC to be anything positive. It is an abomination and should be melted down into pickaxes to be used by convicts in third world countries.

42 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Some of the best coasters i've enjoyed over the years have been either not very high or not very fast. I don't think those two criteria are the yardstick for a coaster.

Seconded.

Jet Rescue & Kawasemi are two of my favourites and both are neither the tallest or fastest. What they both have above all else is tiny lap bars which the ride then tries to violently pry you from. Good times.

• Gazza locked this topic