Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

When people complain about headaches and roughness on rides I always figure it's down to a height differential.

I remember when I was a kid, rides that I would hop on regularly (like say Cyclone) would be killer because my ears would clip the OTSR, but now that i'm much older and over six foot (and thus my ears and head clear the OTSR completely) the only time I really find a ride "rough" is when older woodies (like Scenic Railway or White Cyclone) vibrate and rattle so violent my wisdom teeth knock about and give me a headache.

Cyclone was awful for me when I was younger... the ear-banging really hurt. HWSW I find to be an enjoyable ride, just a little jarring in parts. Nothing to cause a headache though. It's not even a rough ride as such - for me rough means something that vibrates significantly and has a rattle to it - Arkham fits 'rough' for me more than HWSW (although it's definitely not too bad) - HWSW just has some bad transitions. And what can you expect - it's an older Arrow coaster.

25 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

Cyclone was awful for me when I was younger... the ear-banging really hurt. HWSW I find to be an enjoyable ride, just a little jarring in parts.

Isn't it the same ride, or do you mean it's more enjoyable now that you're older (or the new train)? 

After going on it at the weekend I don't think I'll bother again. Oh, and the audio wasn't working,

Not only is it a mission to get to the station, walking around and around, then the ride is poor, then walking all the way back down.....

No thanks.

Edited by mission

18 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Ever tried taking the stairs back down? Quick trip if you know they're there.

I know there are stairs there, either way it's still a mission to get to and from the station (compared to all the other rides) to then have an ordinary ride.

It's hardly worth the effort.

Edited by mission

7 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

The vintage cars are a dead man walking.

^pretty much this, they're just not popular any more. Reduced opening hours and being closed for a lot of the year has been going on for the past couple of years, probably partly because of their out-of-the-way location and their decreasing popularity. I doubt they'd be around for too much longer honestly, despite being a Dreamworld classic.

I remember the days of when the vintage cars used to have quite long queues when in the old spot, and how great the circuit was over and under the bridge, around GD. Was always a favourite of everyone's. Was always a shame when they moved them, and we ended up with what it is today. I never understood why they didn't add any form of theming, even some old machinery would've been fine.

3 hours ago, Santa07 said:

^pretty much this, they're just not popular any more. Reduced opening hours and being closed for a lot of the year has been going on for the past couple of years, probably partly because of their out-of-the-way location and their decreasing popularity. I doubt they'd be around for too much longer honestly, despite being a Dreamworld classic.

Not popular my arse. The queue to vintage cars prior to the accident was always a decent length, which is not a bad feat despite being in a very out of the way spot. The park has been trying to make us forget the ride exists, but it is still a fan and family friendly attraction, one of the very few left. 

It's funny though, they did reopen after the accident, but then suddenly closed during the peak season. Wonder what has happened.

If they are to redevelop Gold Rush, it might be worth keeping that in mind as an idea - by all means new attractions and experiences, but it would be a good addition to the ride lineup with minimal cost to install, and perhaps this time could be themed a little better than they are currently.

On 02/02/2017 at 5:13 PM, T-bone said:

It's funny though, they did reopen after the accident, but then suddenly closed during the peak season. Wonder what has happened.

I don't think anything "happened" per say. My suspicion is that the Vintage Cars needed extra attention from the beginning when auditing was taking place, but delayed its extended closure in order to have the attraction temporarily reopen as an extra ride offering whilst all the rest were initially closed. 

This is how it appears to me, as it was closed again as soon as the bulk of its big brothers and sisters reopened.

I can only assume that whatever attention it needed wasn't urgent or was going to put guests in any danger, hence why the decision was made to put it to good use in the meanwhile and help to draw guests back. 

Dreamworld CEO, Craig Davidson, did a 14-minute interview on ABC Gold Coast radio (97.1FM) yesterday:

Some key points/quotes:

• "The only ride that hasn't come through that (safety audit process) is because we're.working on an annual shutdown of the ride is the Wipeout ride"
  • "We're starting to see (attendance) numbers return to some sort of normality post-those rides coming back online"
  • "I think Dreamworld absolutely has a future"
  • "We've been fantastically surprised by the popularity of LEGO as it opened"
  • "We are diverse and I think we have to continue to diversify the offering of the park"
  • "We'll complete Stage 2 Of Dreamworld Corroboree. That completes that whole area this year so that will be open sometime later this year"
  • "We'll start that (Thunder River Rapids decommissioning) process now now that we've gotten through the holiday period"
  • "There's been many thoughts around what it (Thunder River Rapids replacement) could be but for the minute, what we'll do is fully decommission the ride and then we'll make a decision as to what we do with that space so that's the 1st step. We'll commence that soon"
  • "The (Thunder River Rapids) ride is not operating and elements of it have been decommissioned and we'll continue that process now so there is no access to that area of the park obviously but we'll go through that in a methodical way and do it the right way"
  • "I mentioned entertainment earlier and it's been a really good outcome in terms of the change to the park operations since we haven't had some of the thrill rides operating"
  • "We've had fantastic feedback from customers in the park and from our guests about that change (entertainment) and we'll continue to do that"
  • "Frankly, that (revenue) is the least of our worries"
  • "In fact, Australia Day we actually had a larger crowd in the park than the same day last year on Australia Day so there's some really positive signs coming through"
  • "Our weekend trade is coming back to some sort of normality"
  • "No, we haven't (let staff go due to revenue loss) and look, we managed the staff to the numbers of guests in park obviously"

Just a thought - Does anyone think Stage 2 Of Dreamworld Corroboree could be the reason the Vintage Cars is closed?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

• Gazza locked this topic