Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

1 hour ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Dreamworld CEO, Craig Davidson, did a 14-minute interview on ABC Gold Coast radio (97.1FM) yesterday:

Some key points/quotes:

• "The only ride that hasn't come through that (safety audit process) is because we're.working on an annual shutdown of the ride is the Wipeout ride"
  • "We're starting to see (attendance) numbers return to some sort of normality post-those rides coming back online"
  • "I think Dreamworld absolutely has a future"
  • "We've been fantastically surprised by the popularity of LEGO as it opened"
  • "We are diverse and I think we have to continue to diversify the offering of the park"
  • "We'll complete Stage 2 Of Dreamworld Corroboree. That completes that whole area this year so that will be open sometime later this year"
  • "We'll start that (Thunder River Rapids decommissioning) process now now that we've gotten through the holiday period"
  • "There's been many thoughts around what it (Thunder River Rapids replacement) could be but for the minute, what we'll do is fully decommission the ride and then we'll make a decision as to what we do with that space so that's the 1st step. We'll commence that soon"
  • "The (Thunder River Rapids) ride is not operating and elements of it have been decommissioned and we'll continue that process now so there is no access to that area of the park obviously but we'll go through that in a methodical way and do it the right way"
  • "I mentioned entertainment earlier and it's been a really good outcome in terms of the change to the park operations since we haven't had some of the thrill rides operating"
  • "We've had fantastic feedback from customers in the park and from our guests about that change (entertainment) and we'll continue to do that"
  • "Frankly, that (revenue) is the least of our worries"
  • "In fact, Australia Day we actually had a larger crowd in the park than the same day last year on Australia Day so there's some really positive signs coming through"
  • "Our weekend trade is coming back to some sort of normality"
  • "No, we haven't (let staff go due to revenue loss) and look, we managed the staff to the numbers of guests in park obviously"

Just a thought - Does anyone think Stage 2 Of Dreamworld Corroboree could be the reason the Vintage Cars is closed?

In that text he said something about a replacement Of The Thunder River Rapids and that might mean that either the vintage cars could be moved again and a Another new ride Gose To where the vintages cars was or the Thunder River Rapids might have a brand new ride Replacing it

And that also might be why the Rocky Hollow Log Ride is closed there probably putting in a new Log Ride with the stage 2 corroboree 

4 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

"The only ride that hasn't come through that (safety audit process) is because we're.working on an annual shutdown of the ride is the Wipeout ride" Except for Rocky Hollow, which we're conveniently ignoring right now.

• "We're starting to see (attendance) numbers return to some sort of normality post-those rides coming back online" Pay attention GCB - lower attendance directly related to lower ride availability, and now we're doing about the same as we always have
  • "We are diverse and I think we have to continue to diversify the offering of the park" we have enough one trick novelty coasters now, so we're actually going to build a decent full circuit coaster

Just a thought - Does anyone think Stage 2 Of Dreamworld Corroboree could be the reason the Vintage Cars is closed? There is merit to that suggestion, but given their history with that ride, I think it's more likely they've just closed it so they don't have to run it.

In a nutshell. thanks for the summary.

3 hours ago, Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ said:

In that text he said something about a replacement Of The Thunder River Rapids and that might mean that either the vintage cars could be moved again and a Another new ride Gose To where the vintages cars was or the Thunder River Rapids might have a brand new ride Replacing it

And that also might be why the Rocky Hollow Log Ride is closed there probably putting in a new Log Ride with the stage 2 corroboree 

I really wish I could live in your world sometimes. So fanciful and unrealistic.

Also, Please stop quoting entire posts when they're right above the one you're making. its unnecessary and i've worn out two scroll mouses having to deal with that.

Edited by AlexB

Article on Dreamworld's performance over the summer season and latest figures.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/breaking-news/dreamworld-revenue-climbing-but-still-low/news-story/24b5602f49a150aee34486001ed73c24

Dreamworld operator Ardent Leisure says its theme parks revenue is recovering, although January's takings remain low, following the death of four people there last October.

Ardent's theme parks division took in $6.97 million in January, down 50.4 per cent on the same period last year but representing "a steady increase in visitation" compared to December when year-on-year revenue was down 63 per cent.

The leisure and entertainment company attributed January's rise to the reopening of eight of its nine major thrill rides and said guest sentiment "continues to be very positive".

"Once again, we thank our passholders, guests and the broader community for their strong support," company secretary Alan Shedden said in a statement on Wednesday.

The park has been grappling with a sharp drop in visitor numbers since Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett, Roozi Araghi and Cindy Low died when Dreamworld's Thunder River Rapids Ride malfunctioned on October 25.

The park reopened on December 10 and the main rides, with the exception of the now decommissioned Thunder River Rapids, have been progressively reopening following safety checks.

Ardent also said the opening of Australia's first LEGO certified store at Dreamworld in late January had helped lift attendance and revenue, with more than 14,000 visitors over the opening weekend.

Ardent shares were 4 cents, or 1.9 per cent, higher at $2.10 at 1120 AEDT - down about 11.5 per cent since the October 25 accident.

10 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Ardent also said the opening of Australia's first LEGO certified store at Dreamworld in late January had helped lift attendance and revenue, with more than 14,000 visitors over the opening weekend.

I wonder how many of the 14,000 went into DW.  That's 12.96 guest every min went into the Logo store.

Just touching on Vintage Car talk, I hope the park mentality isn't "let's move one our most popular and classic family attractions to the furthest point in the park" followed closely by "why is this ride not doing good numbers anymore? Must be because people don't like old rides like this and thus we should close it."

5 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

I wonder how many of the 14,000 went into DW.  That's 12.96 guest every min went into the Logo store.

Dreamworld's capacity is 10,000 so depending on how they operate (let more people in after some exit or no entry once 10,000 enter), there's the possibility 4,000 people did not enter DW at all.

35 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Various news articles published it after the Thunder River Rapids incident, @reanimated35.

I can't say for SW because I honestly don't know however both MW and DW have had many days over the years significantly exceeding 10000 visitors during busy holiday periods. I am only aware of one occasion when MW closed it's doors refusing more guests after hitting over 12000 visitors. That was in their first Xmas of 1991 and the conditions (in particular the staff working at the time) were horrendous!

• 2 weeks later...

Now all they need to do is find a way to keep you warm whilst standing on concrete and steel stairs exposed to the wind and elements whilst you queue.

But certainly heating the pools and slides will help. 27 degrees is their target - which in summer still feels cool. In winter it will still feel cool, but it won't be icy... so theres a plus.

Doesn't WWW already have heated pools?   “The financial savings over the existing gas boiler system are phenomenal"  I've been in winter and the water was warm.  I think WWW is replacing the current system with a better system.

WWW website FAQ

Is it too cold to come in winter?

WhiteWater World's rides, slides and pools are heated during winter. Wind structures have been included on all ride queues providing extra comfort for guests

Edited by YLFATEEKS

• Gazza locked this topic