If you had $500 million to spend on a theme park...

SunshineTom

...pitch your idea in here.

Where would you put it? Exact location.

What would the name be? 

The park direction/theming?

The rides? The attractions? 

I would probably get the rights for Jurassic Park/World and build a whole theme park based on that. Tours in mini orange 4WD's with the BEST animatronic dinosaurs in the business, a rapids ride through a lush tropical landscape with more animatronic dinosaurs, like at Universal Studios. I'd have several coasters mostly all B&Ms (Hyper, Floorless, Inverted, etc). The Hyper would be at the front and center of the park intersecting with a lot of the landscape and the tour based rides. I'd spend a shitload of money on the theming/landscape and i'd want lots of water features. I'd also have ziplines and adventure courses and of course lots of well themed flate rides. I'd put it in the Gold Coast hinterland somewhere where we'd be allowed.

Or maybe i would buy Dreamworld at a bargain basement price, sell off all the rides and put the theme park there. We could make use of the canal and already cleared land.

Edited by SunshineTom

'TurdWorld'.

There's an old sewerage treatment plant in south western brisbane that isn't used anymore.

It'd be a 'water'park.

With your idea, I think you should give Clive Palmer a call.

As for buying dreamworld, and then selling off all the rides? ridiculous. you'd be better placed just buying vacant land.

As much as I would like that Jurassic World idea, I'd either put it further north (ie Northern Queensland) or further south (ie Coffs Coast), because the landscape would better suit and be less protected than the Hinterland, which is mostly national parks and stuff. Plus, being a fifth (sixth if you count WWW) major park on the Gold Coast just means competition and lots of it, which has the potential to kill such a big and expensive idea.

Don't really have my own idea for a new park... I'm more of a "how could the current parks get better" kind of idealist.

26 minutes ago, jake_hunt said:

As much as I would like that Jurassic World idea, I'd either put it further north (ie Northern Queensland) or further south (ie Coffs Coast), because the landscape would better suit and be less protected than the Hinterland, which is mostly national parks and stuff. Plus, being a fifth (sixth if you count WWW) major park on the Gold Coast just means competition and lots of it, which has the potential to kill such a big and expensive idea.

Don't really have my own idea for a new park... I'm more of a "how could the current parks get better" kind of idealist.

The problem with putting a major investment theme park in those areas is they are far less populated and draw less tourists than the GC. 

1 hour ago, jake_hunt said:

Coffs draws far more tourists than you think. Not as many as the GC, but that would change if it had a major tourist drawcard.

As for Northern Queensland, it has the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree. It's one of the most popular tourist destinations in Australia.

The Gold Coast has 3 million+ people living within 2 hours of it. North QLD has about 1/6th of that in TOTAL. Plus its still not as popular as the Gold Coast in terms of bulk concentrated tourism (NQ is more spread out). Sorry but no.

On 03/12/2016 at 2:22 PM, SunshineTom said:

...pitch your idea in here.

Where would you put it? Exact location.

What would the name be? 

The park direction/theming?

The rides? The attractions? 

I would probably get the rights for Jurassic Park/World and build a whole theme park based on that. Tours in mini orange 4WD's with the BEST animatronic dinosaurs in the business, a rapids ride through a lush tropical landscape with more animatronic dinosaurs, like at Universal Studios. I'd have several coasters mostly all B&Ms (Hyper, Floorless, Inverted, etc). The Hyper would be at the front and center of the park intersecting with a lot of the landscape and the tour based rides. I'd spend a shitload of money on the theming/landscape and i'd want lots of water features. I'd also have ziplines and adventure courses and of course lots of well themed flate rides. I'd put it in the Gold Coast hinterland somewhere where we'd be allowed.

Or maybe i would buy Dreamworld at a bargain basement price, sell off all the rides and put the theme park there. We could make use of the canal and already cleared land.

1.       If you think about it somebody already has the rights to Jurassic Park

2.       Why does it have to have the Jurassic Park’s naming rights?

3.       The last time I looked it up nobody owned the rights to dinosaurs so why couldn’t you do a dinosaur park without the name and come up with your own ideas instead of coping a movie?

4.       What is with you and all your B&M coaster talk?  Why would somebody want all B&M coasters?  Talk about a dead giveaway that you need your B&M coaster cherry popped.:D

5.       What type of water features are you looking at adding? 

6.       I’ve never liked the idea of a zipline in a park.  Went to WnW yesterday and didn’t see one group go on the SkyCoaster.  I asked a staff member and they said it was open.  (Side note: What is going on with the Zipline at WnW?  Has is ever operated?)

This is what I would do with 500 Million dollars.

I wouldn’t buy a theme park or build one.  I would travel the world visiting as many places as I could while drinking a lot of piss on the way.

Why would I go to your Jurassic Park and only ride B@M coasters, a zipline and a few spin and spew rides while looking at pretty water features?

Edited by YLFATEEKS

See, the whole 'Australiana' theme has been done, tried and failed. If they want to do something 'Australian' themed, they should just stop halfway through building it, and call it the 'carnbefarked' ride. Our identity is unique, but it's not something you can 'bottle' or 'theme' to really well, without it being stupidly exaggerated, or overtly offensive... and the former doesn't really make it a good experience for people visiting from overseas - it gives the wrong impression... and as for locals - the 'okker' nature tends to grate on you. I think WWW was the only park that attempted an 'Aussie' theme that didn't take it too far. Things like the BRO, Green Room, RIP etc, were nicely done... but short of throwing up thongs everywhere, there isn't much else 'Aussie' that you can do well. Even 'Aussie World' grates on me with signs like 'She'll be right, mate' - its just a bit OTT - and although Aussie World's "theme" is Aussie - let's take a look at their rides - like a space themed pirate ship, the venturer simulator, Rock N Roll Rebel etc... the theme doesn't really hold itself down well does it? (i still love the park though).

And in an industry in this country where the park will need to heavily rely on locals to sustain it, something 'out of everyday' is what they should go for. Sure - Wonderland had an overarching Australian theme for much of it's early life - but the themes were surrounding colonial settlement, gold rush era and days of old, and fantasy. Beach, Rainforest, Desert and Bush aren't really enough of an immersive theme to really lend itself well to anything you could flesh out that well.

Really don't get the obsession with an 'Australiana theme'. We're in Australia already FFS, I have an Australiana theme everytime I walk outside of my house or go for a drive. 

There are plenty of 'australia' driven experiences already in most of the capital cities to fill the niche for the international tourist market. 

3 minutes ago, jake_hunt said:

@SunshineTom Cairns and the surrounding region gets more tourists annually than the GC (It's 3rd in Aus compared to 6th in terms of tourists per year). There's a big market for a park there.

The Great Barrier Reef ALONE gets over 2 million visitors per year, almost as much as Movieworld, Seaworld AND wet n wild combined! I think its about time to develop something up north.

From source "Gold Coast Convention and visitors Bureau" website:

The region attracts over 12 million visitors and approximately 12,500 new residents each year, making it one of the fastest growing cities in Australia. Delegates visiting the Gold Coast spend an average 3.8 days in the region – more than any other Queensland destination.

1 minute ago, MickeyD said:

From source "Gold Coast Convention and visitors Bureau" website:

The region attracts over 12 million visitors and approximately 12,500 new residents each year, making it one of the fastest growing cities in Australia. Delegates visiting the Gold Coast spend an average 3.8 days in the region – more than any other Queensland destination.

That doesnt say anything about getting up to 100,000 tourists each day. If that was true, then Gold coast would get around 35 MILLION tourists per year.