Parks in decline? Parks flourishing?

SunshineTom

9 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

DW have been on a high until the TRRR accident happened. However I believe they can recover from it as there are tones of people showing support and saying they will come back to the park on DW's Facebook page.

Yes but what about the thousands of families who are worried that their young ones will die on a ride there next? They will surely stay away.

@SunshineTom But what about the thousands of families who said they will still support the park and ride the rides as they understand that it was a freak accident and that they believe it was not dreamworld's fault (despite the media scaring techniques) Read DW's facebook page to see these comments their are loads of them with families saying they wills till let their kids go on a ride.

People die in car crashes does that mean parents will be worried that their kids will die in a car?

Not trying to be annoying here but im about to drop the statistics bomb:

Village Roadshow operates Sea World & Sea World Resort & Water Park, Warner Bros. Movie World and Wet ’n’ Wild on the Gold Coast. For the year ending June 2015, the three operations of Village Roadshow recorded a 1.4% decrease in income. Income in the year ending June 2015 reached a total of $278.5 million. Visitor numbers for the year ending June 2015 amounted to 5.2 million, representing a decline of 3.8% compared with the previous financial year (see Table 13). The Ardent Leisure Group Theme Parks include Dreamworld, White Water World, and the SkyPoint Observation Deck and SkyPoint Climb. In June 2015, Dreamworld launched ABC kids world. For the second time, in 2014 Dreamworld was awarded Queensland's Best Major Tourist Attraction at the Queensland Tourism Awards and the third most popular tourist attraction at the annual Australian Tourism Awards. However, due to decreased per capita spending, overall revenue decreased slightly (by 0.6%) to $99.5 million. Visitor numbers increased by 11.7% to 2.28 million during the 2014/2015 financial year.

(This is the end of the 2015 financial year, but with the new installations of Tiger Island, Doomsday Destroyer, Aqua 8 Racers Re-Vamp and a new rollercoaster, IMO, Seaworld are doing completely fine at the moment, and Dreamworld are taking the right approach to the incident so I honestly think there wont be a very large slump in visitors.) 

21 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

Yes but what about the thousands of families who are worried that their young ones will die on a ride there next? They will surely stay away.

The chance of you dying on a ride is 1 in 500 trillion, im not dying on a ride anytime soon.

32 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

I don't know the actual figures but i strongly feel Sea World is on a massive decline at the moment as is Dream World and DW will likely have a massive loss next financial year. 

Movie World is obviously going to slay even harder next year and WNW is always constant. Aussie World is also on the uptick. 

Key words "You feel". Dreamworld is obviously going to have a little loss but won't be enough to make them not profitable. because there are generally people out there you will support Dreamworld no matter what. But i think you underestimate Sea World. Thrill Seekers aren't going to Sea World, families go there and me. Because i like marine life to. Anyway, Sea World is successful and I don't think they are declining more then LeafyIsHere's Sub count.

One years numbers are pretty irrelevant, the trend over the longer term is up as the local population increases.  Village achieved record profitability in the last few years, Movieworld alone passed 2 million for the first time ever recently, and whatever is going on at Sea World, the focus on Sea World Resort has seen an increase in occupancy.  Dreamworld has been pretty flat over the past few years with capital being redirected into the park rather than flashy new rides.  

While you would expect the parks to suffer something of a hit this year, I have a hard time imagining numbers won't return to around trend levels within a couple years, and frankly doom and gloom talk is just muck raking, speculation, and trolling.  

3 hours ago, SunshineTom said:

you can't live life in fear. Thousands die on the road each year, families could be forgiven for worrying everytime they get behind the wheel that their kids could be hurt, but you cautiously move on.

Most of the general public understand that a freak accident took place. The chance of a freak accident occurring again is no more likely to happen at DW as it is at any other park, and I think that's fairly common knowledge. 

Edited by Brad2912

16 hours ago, SunshineTom said:

I don't know the actual figures but i strongly feel Sea World is on a massive decline at the moment as is Dream World and DW will likely have a massive loss next financial year. 

Movie World is obviously going to slay even harder next year and WNW is always constant. Aussie World is also on the uptick. 

If you are making what are essentially idle predictions about SW and DW declining, then you're a fool. Dreamworld hasn't even opened in full yet and your idle speculation is made too early, let alone have a thread dedicated to it. Please, reserve your idle speculation until DW has actually opened in full.

2 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

If you are making what are essentially idle predictions about SW and DW declining, then you're a fool. Dreamworld hasn't even opened in full yet and your idle speculation is made too early, let alone have a thread dedicated to it. Please, reserve your idle speculation until DW has actually opened in full.

Interesting, another member was making predictions about the career of Noah Cyrus in another thread yet he gets praised? This is merely my opinion, i'm not claiming its true and or will come to fruition.

@SunshineTom Maybe tone down on the new threads? You've only just arrived and have posted several new threads. Maybe just take things slow for now?

on topic - for me the only park who have seen better days (not neccessarily a major decline though) is SeaWorld however I am sure VRTPs have plans to turn this around. DW had the TRRR incident but they are probably the park with the steepest incline currently as they seem to be really trying to make the park better than ever since the accident.

1 minute ago, Santa07 said:

@SunshineTom Maybe tone down on the new threads? You've only just arrived and have posted several new threads. Maybe just take things slow for now?

on topic - for me the only park who have seen better days (not neccessarily a major decline though) is SeaWorld however I am sure VRTPs have plans to turn this around. DW had the TRRR incident but they are probably the park with the steepest incline currently as they seem to be really trying to make the park better than ever since the accident.

I've only posted 4 or 5 new threads, i didn't realise there was a rule for the amount of new threads i was allowed to post?

And it doesn't matter D/W do at this point, at least for the next few months they're going to be significantly quieter as people still process the gravity of the situation (4 people dead; families ruined forever). It's such an IMMENSE tragedy and i strongly feel that they won't recover until after that grieving period is fully over. 

20 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

Interesting, another member was making predictions about the career of Noah Cyrus in another thread yet he gets praised? This is merely my opinion, i'm not claiming its true and or will come to fruition.

i think the difference is:

we have history of the 'younger sibling of a pop star trying it on for themselves' scenario with the vast majority flopping badly (history goes all the way back to the Minogues). Very few actually succeed. I can't think of any at the moment.

On the other hand we have history of theme parks experiencing a major incident resulting in death and damage to the brand, for which they have recovered without major issue. Although some don't, there is usually another reason contributing to it. Dreamworld is big enough, successful enough, and the resulting audits cleared them of all but minor staff safety issues.

So one prediction is based on precedent, the other doesn't even take into account current facts and figures, and ignores long term viability. I'd say you be the judge, but you seem to be a fairly poor one, so i'll nominate someone else instead.

20 hours ago, SunshineTom said:

And it doesn't matter D/W do at this point, at least for the next few months they're going to be significantly quieter as people still process the gravity of the situation (4 people dead; families ruined forever). It's such an IMMENSE tragedy and i strongly feel that they won't recover until after that grieving period is fully over. 

Source: Courier Mail

"The mother of Dreamworld ride victims Kate Goodchild and Luke Dorsett has no issues with the Gold Coast theme park reopening next week and plans to revisit, says a family friend"

I think if the mother can handle it, most other people can.

Edited by ClassifiedLlama
deleting a picture

@joz summed this thread perfectly - I think if I can add anything to it is that given the Commonwealth Games, given our population increase, given the rate our dollar exchanges at now that the mining boom is over and the US are strong again, given the Chinese middle class are spending more money travelling... need I go on? There's more than enough reasoning right now to support the idea the parks will flourish in the coming years and in a lot of cases are very much on the right track.