The FareGround

Another new project for the Gold Coast

http://blankgc.com.au/largest-night-market-in-australia-coming-to-the-gold-coast/

http://thefareground.com.au/

Right in the middle of Carrara.

The FareGround will deliver all of that, and more, when it opens in early 2018.

The new market is a collaboration between Carrara Markets owner (and Sirromet Wines founder), Terry Morris and NightQuarter entrepreneurs Michelle Christoe and Ian Van der Woude. The initative will see an unused urban space, adjacent to Carrara Markets next to the Gooding Drive roundabout transformed into a buzzing night market, right before the Commonwealth Games hit town.

Michelle Christoe told Blank Gold Coast that they’re taking their inspiration from old world fairgrounds.

Think carousel rides, ferris wheels and sideshow alleys. And then they’re throwing into the mix 40 chef-driven street kitchens, eclectic bars, circus, live music and 30 creative local arts and craft vendors.

To top it all off, FareGround will also create a new 750 person live music venue. The local music scene has long lamented the gap in the market for a venue this size. So as well as offering opportunities for street performers, buskers, circus acts and theatre performers, the venue is also expected to attract touring bands wishing to cater to that mid-size audience range.

Striking a balance between nostalgia and innovation, the architectural design of the site will draw from whimsical images of fairgrounds and carnivals of days past, while innovating with upcycled materials to create something completely new.

If this is not just a quick chuck together development and they are drawing inspiration from old world fairgrounds and are truly looking at recreating it, I would check it out.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Thanks for the info. Unlike certain other on again off again developments up on the sunshine coast, I can see this one actually happening - Terry is a go-getter and makes things happen when he wants to. In addition to that, having such a space in carrara right before the comm games will be a great precinct cashing in on the party atmosphere of the games.

Whether it continues to be a viable venue after the games will depend on many things, but until then at least, i'm sure we'll see this one happen.

3 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Thanks for the info. Unlike certain other on again off again developments up on the sunshine coast, I can see this one actually happening - Terry is a go-getter and makes things happen when he wants to. In addition to that, having such a space in carrara right before the comm games will be a great precinct cashing in on the party atmosphere of the games.

Whether it continues to be a viable venue after the games will depend on many things, but until then at least, i'm sure we'll see this one happen.

After checking out all the land around the Markets it is safe to assume that it will be built on the land indicated by a ferris wheel.

WTF Skeet has gone crazy and attaching random pictures.

Application in for a new Bunnings.

Application in for a new residential development.  (looks like the cows will finally go)

testtest.JPG

Songcheng Legendary Kingdom  could even connect the new ferry services to it.:D

1 hour ago, SunshineTom said:

Will be trashy like the rest of the inner GC attractions. Felt like i was going to die on that bungy bullet. 

The nightquarter is amazing and has gone from strength to strength in its first year. Miami Marketta is also great, this provides a similar offering in between. 

Will be immensely popular and successful IMO. 

Nothing trashy about what is being planned. 

4 hours ago, SunshineTom said:

I'll take your word for it... lol

Dude you are seriously starting to shit me..

whats with the 'lol'... if you have some factual basis for believing Fareground, or Nightquarter for that matter, are/will be trashy, then bring it to the table or STFU.. seriously..

10 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Dude you are seriously starting to shit me..

whats with the 'lol'... if you have some factual basis for believing Fareground, or Nightquarter for that matter, are/will be trashy, then bring it to the table or STFU.. seriously..

Give up. It's POP. He's bored. He's a troll. He's going to reply to this claiming not to be POP.  

It's no fun when we can't neg every post he makes. 

Given the people behind it this is the first project I think that'll actually develop into something tangible. I'm not sure where they're at in terms of cost analysis with the "fairground" aspect, but I think it's fair to say when they realise the cost of having a few rides in there, even temporary ones, it'll end up being more the "vibe" of a fairground and less something we'd all like to see (actual, cool kickass attractions). Would love to be proven wrong however.

32 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

How are those markets anyway? Noticed them from the cruise terminal a few weeks back and thought it looked pretty small and crappy for all the good reviews it gets

We enjoy them, but a few tips,  be early to secure a park close by, if weather is dicey or you want to sit, get a table early and have one person always sit at it.

We spent about three hours there (and $200) between four of us a few weeks ago. 

What/where is this Nightquarter? Sounds really interesting and certainly something I'd be up for when I hit the GC next year again. How's the food? Kid friendly?

Nevermind, found it. For those interested here's the link:

http://nightquarter.com.au

Edited by Redboost

My thoughts on Eat Street Markets, Night Quarter and The FairGrounds.

Eat Street Markets

This was the first and it does shows when you go.  The layout with the dead-end lanes

create a lot of choke points.   Has very limited seating and the entertainment is limited. 

Most of the food venders are good but a couple of them could step it up.  I like the

idea of the drive-in next door but the distance between the market and drive-in makes

it hard to bring food back to your car.  They do have a bus that travels between them

and it is free but when you have a pram it is easier to walk the 20 plus minutes.

7 STARS

Night Quarter

I believe this is the next venture the owners of Eat Street built.   Night Quarters is built

out of shipping containers stacked on top of each other.  Night Quarter also has a

purpose-built underroof stage area.  The food vendor is like Eat Street with most of the

food outlets being good with just a few misses.  The live entertainment is good with one

main stage that normally has 3 different bands playing on it during the night.  There is

also an Australia BBQ area that play more rock music or hard for me to admit but my

generation music.   You also come across some music been played down the streets.

I find it much easier to get around with my daughter in toe.  The only negative I have

is a bit more seating would be good but it has shit loads more seating them Eat Street.

9 STARS

The FairGrounds

From the sounds of it this might be the most family friendly one of all of them. 

Night Quarter is a step-up from Eat Street Markets and I hope they take the lessons

from both places into the design of The FairGrounds.   

You can read the full media release yourself but the company does mention rides.

Link to the official Media Release.

http://thefareground.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/The-Fareground-Media-

“There will also be an amusement area for families with rides and fairground games

appealing to kids both young and old.”

I’m not expecting much in the way of rides rides but what is for them to nail the feeling you are in

an old fair ground.

I've added some photos of Night Quarter too.

night.jpgNightquarter7CROP.jpgNIGHTQUARTERIMG_3328Web.jpgNightquarter-Markets.pngNightquarter-Markets-Allshelter-3.pngPhoto-30-08-2016-7-02-16-PM.jpgPhoto-30-08-2016-7-03-20-PM.jpg

Edited by YLFATEEKS
I've tried 6 times fixing the text and I give up.