Arkham Asylum VR down for maintenance

WalleyWorld

Does anybody know what's currently going on with Arkham's VR? It's been down for maintenance for a while. And now it seems it's indefinitely being maintained?? Rather it actually being 'under maintenance' Perhaps they are only running the VR during peak periods/school holidays, due to the extra staff needed to help operate the VR?

Untitled.jpg

2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Does anybody know what's currently going on with Arkham's VR? It's been down for maintenance for a while. And now it seems it's indefinitely being maintained?? Rather it actually being 'under maintenance' Perhaps they are only running the VR during peak periods/school holidays, due to the extra staff needed to help operate the VR?

Untitled.jpg

Id say its closed until the Peak of the holidays come along, mainly so it doesn't malfunction before hand. As for the 'extra staff needed to help operate it" I dont think they do need much extra, just 1. My thinking for that is, while I was at Fright Nights, I used the VR headset and there was only 1 worker, and he was doing just fine. They were very busy (VR) and he handled it very well. It only took an extra 10 seconds because two workers just had to check if everything was on fine, and then we were off.

Just now, Luke said:

I called Movieworld, and was very vaguely told "Due to a software update, the VR system has been unuseable, and the park is trying to fix it/find a fix. Furthermore, we are unsure if the VR experience will ever be coming back"

Very weird :huh: 

Crap. I really enjoyed it. But you never know, it could!

My guess, given the rough nature of AA, when you can't see where you're going, you can't brace, and therefore - people not intimately familiar with the ride layout were getting hurt.

I personally don't think we'll see it back unless they can alter the VR imagery to give some sort of 'warning' of the change of direction - i'm thinking like a 'virtual track' or some other sort of indicator, without ruining the experience.

the alternative would be to move the technology to something less violent - which in the first instance i'd probably say GL.

Having done Arkham VR I can confidently say there was literally no issues with getting sick, head-bumping, whiplash etc. etc. etc. That's in part because Movie World went and spent big money going via companies who know what they're doing and the sync between experience and screen is second to none. Compare that to the reports of Dreamworld's version and it's night and day. in fact i'd go so far as to say it made the coaster infinitely better - you definitely know where you're at in the ride (up to a certain point) so it's not like you're just flailing about hopelessly. And even if you were a new rider, I still don't think you'd be knocked about as much as folks think.

I do hope they suss out whatever tech issue they have for the summer season, this is one of the few experiences where i'd say don't knock it until you try it because everyone who does try it (specifically Arkham's VR) loves the crap out of it, myself included.

I highly doubt what Luke was told on the phone is accurate, did you speak to someone in the contact centre or Guest Services?

It is getting a software update with some changes/enhancements. It is not being scrapped. Alex B may be on the money there..

Given how long this "update" is taking though I have to assume they are delivering the update using 2G to each handset individually.

Edited by Jordan M.

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

My guess, given the rough nature of AA, when you can't see where you're going, you can't brace, and therefore - people not intimately familiar with the ride layout were getting hurt.

I personally don't think we'll see it back unless they can alter the VR imagery to give some sort of 'warning' of the change of direction - i'm thinking like a 'virtual track' or some other sort of indicator, without ruining the experience.

the alternative would be to move the technology to something less violent - which in the first instance i'd probably say GL.

This is the rumour I've heard more frequently from people. No idea how true it is but it's making the rounds consistently. 

3 hours ago, themagician said:

How can a software update have such major issues, from what I heard, the system was working fine when it was being used last holidays. I hope they don't get rid of it, because it seems like a great additional experience to the ride.

Depends what the update was. If it was an Android update, maybe if it was the 7.0 update that could cause a lot of issues and its a substantial change. Not sure why it would have needed the update to the OS though. Seemed to be working fine before, which leads me to believe there's some other reason for it. 

2 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

I do hope they fix the bug. I was looking forward to trying the AA VR next time I visited MW.

I hear (churro vender at the front of the park) Dec 26 assuming VRCoaater gets the update to them by then (no idea how long that takes especially in this season).

8 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

This is the rumour I've heard more frequently from people. No idea how true it is but it's making the rounds consistently. 

Depends what the update was. If it was an Android update, maybe if it was the 7.0 update that could cause a lot of issues and its a substantial change. Not sure why it would have needed the update to the OS though. Seemed to be working fine before, which leads me to believe there's some other reason for it. 

It's true, have confirmed it with multiple internal sources. Also makes sense considering the timeline.

If it was a software incompatibility (unlikely) they could have rolled back the update or even purchased new handsets. This suggests an WHS issue with the headsets/operation themselves given it stopped abrubtly without apparent reason.

@Gazza I didn't say it wasn't the correct thread to post it in.  Just saying we were talking about something else in another thread and it came up.  Conversations lead into other conversations all the time.

I thought I linked it for him so he would have seen what we said but my phone doesn't like Parkz.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Is it just the way they hold their harnesses or is there an interactive element to the VR now (unless I just didn't know until now?)?

I'm pretty sure those handles and the buttons were there when MW first bought the trains in 2012. I haven't been to MW for years, so I can't remember exactly, but I do vividly recall those handles being there.

I rode Arkham with VR for the first time yesterday (you get one VR ride included with the unlimited fast track band), overall it was a great experience, I wouldn't say it was any better or worse with VR just a different experience. Funnily enough I found the lift hill the most enjoyable part with VR. It would be a lot more immersive if sound could also be implemented.

The only downside is the extra time it takes to load and dispatch the trains when VR is operating, a few people had to have headsets swapped out and recalibrated each time.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but TV's have been added to the queue line playing footage of Harley and the Joker in a lab talking about the treatment (in the same animation style as the games).