Sea World New Attraction 2019

Santa07

11 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Jordan - in the interests of feedback to improve your 'newly launched website' - the single photo in that article looks like you smeared vaseline on the lens, and putting the 7 news quote in red is really putrid to read.

If I were a betting man, I'd give more credit to Parkz - a site that is frequently cited by media articles as sources, and Richard himself, who is frequently contacted for interviews and to make statements about our theme parks, than (as you yourself put it) a 'newly launched website'. Even though you said 'possibly' - I still think you gave yourself too much credit.

Indisputable is that the topic had been discussed on the Parkz forum for weeks prior to ANY article being published, so Parkz still lands the 'you heard it here first' banner.

Finally - that's probably got to be the most shameless plug ever.

It is an old VRTP PR photo apparently, but noted. Yes the red is god awful, the website is a major work in progress.

I doubt it was Parkz, I think they were tipped off or found it through monitoring the park pages. When was the last time Parkz provided a statement to a news publication? Fairly sure they generally prefer to quote Joe Blogs who is up from VIC on holidays or that guy with a PHD studying coasters.

It was fairly obvious regardless of where it was being discussed, "you heard it here first" hardly matters, I was ready to publish my article on the 8th but held off for the statement.

Shameless plug (tick)

4 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

I know I have one ;)

I think you are giving yourself too much credit there, how many unique page views for that story and any coming for a media IP address?

If I were a 7 reporter assigned to Gold Coast Theme Parks I would have this or similar running on the main and matinance pages of each park.

Possibly it was from my newly launched website :P suprising amount of traffic considering the facebook views/shares.

Yeah....... Just No.

5 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

I know I have one ;)

I think you are giving yourself too much credit there, how many unique page views for that story and any coming for a media IP address?

If I were a 7 reporter assigned to Gold Coast Theme Parks I would have this or similar running on the main and matinance pages of each park.

Possibly it was from my newly launched website :P suprising amount of traffic considering the facebook views/shares.

Another website.  When will the shit sites stop coming.   I can understand if somebody comes up with a new great idea on how to run a theme park site but to try and compete with other sites with nothing new means you just wasted your time.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

13 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Another website.  When will the shit sites stop coming.   I can understand if somebody comes up with a new great idea on how to run a theme park site but to try and compete with other sites with nothing new means you just wasted you time.

*You're wasting your time, I assume. Nothing worse than troll that cant't even spell. 
To be technical this is a relaunch/rebrand of a previous site :P 

New content and other things in the pipeline, patience is a virtue. Have a look back on Dec 26 :)

Whilst Parkz is a site primarily known for its discussion forums that are not exactly welcoming to newcomers, this is for tourists and locals.

Edited by Jordan M.

1 hour ago, Jordan M. said:

Nah, not at this stage. The site is not intended for theme park enthusiasts.

How about this one, cropped?

Vikings Revenge.jpeg

Well, your first photo had the Bermuda Triangle, and Skyway in it, showing how old it was. This photo at least doesn't have those two... unfortunately you went the wrong direction through your calendar.

How about something recent... preferably of your own work... but at the very least where you use a photo that isn't your own you give the original source a credit

I doubt it was Parkz, I think they were tipped off or found it through monitoring the park pages. When was the last time Parkz provided a statement to a news publication? Fairly sure they generally prefer to quote Joe Blogs who is up from VIC on holidays or that guy with a PHD studying coasters.

It was fairly obvious regardless of where it was being discussed, "you heard it here first" hardly matters, I was ready to publish my article on the 8th but held off for the statement.

Shameless plug (tick)

When was the last time? A quick google using the search terms "theme park" and "richard wilson" delivered this article dated 2 November 2016 in the Australian Financial Review

Parkz editor Richard Wilson, who has spent 15 years reporting on theme parks around the world, told The Australian Financial Review the two-space gap between the wooden slats was unlike other versions of the ride.

"It's unique in the world as far as I know," he said. "I haven't seen anything like it."

Mr Wilson said Dreamworld appeared to have modified the ride in the past two decades.

Home video footage of the ride in 1993 showed the slats close together but a photo from 2008 showed the ride's conveyor with large spaces where the slats would have sat. Photos since the accident showed black safety meshing underneath the gaps in the slats.

Mr Wilson said the removal of the slats was not the only modification Dreamworld made to the ride and that a rotating platform for unloading and loading visitors had also been removed.

"There's been a lot of changes to this ride. That's not necessarily unusual for theme parks. They can make modifications to adapt to changes in technology," he said.

Mr Wilson said while it was generally unusual for a theme park to build a ride itself rather than get the ride's manufacturer to do so, "it was fairly common" in the 1980s for parks to copy rides. "A lot of Gold Coast rides were built that way," he said.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/dreamworlds-rapids-ride-different-from-others-around-the-world-20161101-gsfd07#ixzz4SbvWhhe0 
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

As for your 'shameless plug' - these I believe are strictly against the rules of the forum, so i'm glad you saw it for what it was.

10 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

*Your

New content and other things in the pipeline, patience is a virtue. Have a look back on Dec 26 :)

Whilst Parkz is a site primarily known for its discussion forums that are not exactly welcoming to newcomers, this is for tourists and locals.

LOL. Newcomers are welcomed. Dickheads are recognised and shown the door. There are plenty of newer members on these boards who are active, and actively part of the community. I'd challenge that Parkz is "primarily known" as you describe.

3 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Well, your first photo had the Bermuda Triangle, and Skyway in it, showing how old it was. This photo at least doesn't have those two... unfortunately you went the wrong direction through your calendar.

How about something recent... preferably of your own work... but at the very least where you use a photo that isn't your own you give the original source a credit.

Have you considered a older photo was a decision I made? For an image provided via VRTP they are generally fine with it being used without attribution, I do not know why I would be counting a photographer as having ridden a roller coaster for the use of their image :P.

When was the last time? A quick google using the search terms "theme park" and "richard wilson" delivered this article dated 2 November 2016 in the Australian Financial Review

Thanks, saved me a Google. Must have missed the AFR in all the DW coverage.

As for your 'shameless plug' - these I believe are strictly against the rules of the forum, so i'm glad you saw it for what it was.

May I quote the guidelines 

Users may not create threads or posts for the purposes of advertising other websites.

This is regardless of whether or not the website belongs to the user, or whether it could be considered a competing site. This is different to linking to sites for the purposes of promoting stimulating discussions on Parkz.

Also relevent.

A friendly and helpful attitude is expected at all times.

You aren't expected to like everyone, but you are expected to treat all members with respect at all times.

Newcomers are not welcomed, having visited these forums for 8 years I know that.

In context of discussions in real life I hear "Parkz forums" frequently. Cant remember does the VRTP Social Media Policy refer to Parkz or Parkz forums.

5 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

Have you considered a older photo was a decision I made? For an image provided via VRTP they are generally fine with it being used without attribution, I do not know why I would be counting a photographer as having ridden a roller coaster for the use of their image :P.

Also relevent.

Newcomers are not welcomed, having visited these forums for 8 years I know that.

In context of discussions in real life I hear "Parkz forums" frequently. Cant remember does the VRTP Social Media Policy refer to Parkz or Parkz forums.

"Have you considered an older photo..."

"Also relevant."

29 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

Nothing worse than troll that cant't even spell.

Oh...

"Nothing worse than troll that can't even spell."

Edited by MaxxTheMonster

1 minute ago, Jordan M. said:

Also relevent.

Regardless, if you're expecting to be considered a media outlet, and you use a photo that isn't yours, you should identify that it isn't you that owns it - you'll note most online media sites do state 'source:supplied' in the case where the company the article is about supplied it. 

Since you found it necessary to correct someone's grammatical error - i want to point out the word is 'relevant'.

The majority of newcomers that get a hard time get it because they either don't follow the guidelines, or don't learn from others in the community who give them helpful tips and advice on how to fit in... or because they troll.

Couldn't tell you about VRTP policy since i'm not an employee. Can't say i've heard many people IRL discuss Parkz - except for those who are members here, none of which have anything bad to say about the site, and in general only discuss irritants.

Also - this:

Make sure you've taken a quick read of the Community Guidelines. It'll only take a minute or two, and it's all common sense. So long as you're friendly, post intelligently and above all enjoy yourself on Parkz you'll fit in just fine. 

And as for new members - one only has to look at http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/forum/34-introduce-yourself/ to see that those that take the time to start a discussion to introduce themselves (with one POPping exception) are generally welcomed, and in many cases similar interests strike off a conversation, or helpful suggestions are made. 

18 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Regardless, if you're expecting to be considered a media outlet, and you use a photo that isn't yours, you should identify that it isn't you that owns it - you'll note most online media sites do state 'source:supplied' in the case where the company the article is about supplied it. 

True/noted, this is not my first rodeo having attended media events since 2010 (White Christmas Charity 2010 was my first, I was unprepared for food outlets not to be operating with cash :P)

The majority of newcomers that get a hard time get it because they either don't follow the guidelines, or don't learn from others in the community who give them helpful tips and advice on how to fit in... or because they troll.

Can't say i've heard many people IRL discuss Parkz - except for those who are members here, none of which have anything bad to say about the site, and in general only discuss irritants.

And as for new members - one only has to look at http://www.parkz.com.au/forums/forum/34-introduce-yourself/ to see that those that take the time to start a discussion to introduce themselves (with one POPping exception) are generally welcomed, and in many cases similar interests strike off a conversation, or helpful suggestions are made. 

I disagree and I know many that do not participate as they do not feel welcome. Including by comments made by "Community Leaders".

Edited by Jordan M.

*You're wasting your time, I assume. Nothing worse than troll that cant't even spell. 

Who are you calling a troll?   You're a parasite trying to suck information out of Parkz.   I have a free tip for you.  "Spend less time on Parkz and more time fixing up that shit website"

Edited by YLFATEEKS

2 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

True, they're vile to newcomers - not even talking about myself. I think this site is going down like twitter. I'll be on the lookout for good alternatives to contribute to.