Can Dreamworld ever FULLY recover?

SunshineTom

Can Dreamworld ever FULLY recover?   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Can Dreamworld ever FULLY recover?

• No i don't think so
    • Most likely
    • Yes definitely

Today we saw the attendance for D/W at just 1200 and WWW at 700, which is significantly quieter for the first official day of school holidays and also a weekend day. Even though this has been promoted for almost 2 weeks, it failed to get the crowds they were likely anticipating. So...can D/W ever FULLY recover from the tragic death of 4 guests? Let's discuss. 

So, just from what you've posted, yes I think they definitely will recover. And I'm not sure about your attendance facts, but I really don't think judging a parks future success on their reopening day, with most rides closed, is a good idea.

Also, school holidays don't start until Monday and it's not another week until NSW goes on holidays, so honestly I wouldn't expect big crowds, even if nothing had happened at the park.

Edited by Intimidator305.

Omg. This is so dumb. OFCOURSE the attendance will be lower! It's the first day of holidays so kids will just be unwinding until the holidays REALLY kick in. The park just reopened after 2 or so months, so the attendance will be lower!! These threads are becoming more and more pointless! 

I don't think anyone was anticipating huge crowds. The park has been closed for six weeks, after a tragic accident, and not everything is open. Once the park has been open for a few weeks, and everything returns to normal, it will return to normal levels. I wouldn't be surprised if the park struggles to surpass previous years attendance, but give it a few years, a few new attractions, and it will be back to where it was previously.

And look at Alton Towers; it's still reporting reduced attendance, but it's nothing dire. It will and is recovering. Dreamworld will likely do just the same.

The only place that I've seen a huge drama made of the park's reopening, and about its future attendance is here. There isn't a huge fuss being made in the media as far as I can see, which would only be good for DW.

I'm sure the park can recover, but they will need to invest in some decent family rides to fill the gaping hole that will be left after the loss of the rapids and possibly the log ride as well. Almost all of the park's attractions are either kids-only or adults-only, very little for families to enjoy together which is their main income-bearing demographic.

I recon the park will recover, but to say it is or isn't going to recover for a defiant is too soon to judge first day in operation and not a wide, large selection of rides equalling lower crowds. When all that are going to reopen are open and attendance is still low then that's the time you could question the park recovering or not.  

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Everyone: feel free to debate and discuss this based on the facts/opinions presented.

If you want to just post hysterical "TROLL!!!" crap then hold off on clicking the submit button and save us having to delete your posts.

I may have a slight bias against Dreamworld at the moment but as you've pointed out, this thread is based on the facts and is definitely a valid thread up for discussion. People sure are touchy about their favourite parks around here.

People move on. Those who say they'll never go again probably aren't regulars anyway. Today most of the popular rides were closed. I think once these rides are opening, attendance will increase significantly as Dreamworld begin to attract more from the teen and young adult demographic - you need to remember today was probably mostly only those who want to show their support and families with younger kids - that's only a portion of Dreamworld's total attendance.

Plus, peak season doesn't officially kick in until boxing day, holidays or no holidays. Within 6 months I feel Dreamworld will be thriving once more. Probably more so than they were before the incident by 2018.

Seriously, @SunshineTom, I don't understand why you don't want Dreamworld to succeed? Surely, you keep posting this stuff you want the park to fail?

Give them time to plan their recovery. It's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen. We have so few parks here, you'd think you'd be a little supportive.

Edited by iwerks

Just now, iwerks said:

Seriously, @SunshineTom, I don't understand why you want Dreamworld to succeed? Surely, you keep posting this stuff you want the park to fail?

Give them time to plan their recovery. It's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen. We have so few parks here, you'd think you'd be a little supportive.

I am supportive but these things are talking points for the forum so why not?

It's like nixing an upcoming park proposal - a lot of people can see these posts. I know the chance of a new park being developed is remote, but if you keep posting that the funding has fallen through, someone might take you seriously.

Same too if you say Dreamworld is going bust. Someone Googles that and finds your thread and believes you know something.

A bit like that time @POP said he knew the name of the new coaster. Be careful what you post and be careful what you wish for.

4 hours ago, SunshineTom said:

Today we saw the attendance for D/W at just 1200 and WWW at 700, which is significantly quieter for the first official day of school holidays...Even though this has been promoted for almost 2 weeks, it failed to get the crowds they were likely anticipating. So...can D/W ever FULLY recover from the tragic death of 4 guests?

Remember:

• DW & Whitewater World are now combined so posting separate attendances makes no difference. It only shows which park people preferred entering first, which prior to 11:30am was DW.
  • 10 days notice of re-opening isn't exactly enough time to allow interstate & international visitors to prepare a DW visit - it is enough time for locals though who probably are regular visitors to the park & make up a bulk of their visitation.
  • DW CEO stated he didn't know what to expect. So they weren't making any expectations or having any anticipations.

To answer your question though, I think DW will most likely recover and 2000 people today I think is pretty good considering how much wasn't opened. The true test will be post-Boxing Day & when everything (minus Thunder River Rapids) has opened.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

My thoughts:

*Most of the early school holiday traffic is driven by late pre-teens and teens, none of whom would have made the trip this weekend with no thrill rides operating. I wasn't expecting to see a line of 40 kids just off schoolies lining up for the Big Red Car, were you??

*most working parents don't have annual leave for the whole of the holidays, so the second last weekend before Xmas = shopping time 

*weather was overcast & fairly lousy 

*sure, some people won't be back for a while, but they make up a small minority I believe.

7 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

My thoughts:

*Most of the early school holiday traffic is driven by late pre-teens and teens, none of whom would have made the trip this weekend with no thrill rides operating. I wasn't expecting to see a line of 40 kids just off schoolies lining up for the Big Red Car, were you??

*most working parents don't have annual leave for the whole of the holidays, so the second last weekend before Xmas = shopping time 

*weather was overcast & fairly lousy 

*sure, some people won't be back for a while, but they make up a small minority I believe.

Big Red Car is my favorite ride though.

So basically.

No rides were open, and why would teens go to a park with no scary rides?

Add this up:
- No thrill rides
- Not a particularly warm day to warrant an unprecedented visit to a water park
- Probably a good percentage of people unaware of the reopening
- Another solid percentage put-off by the incident and concerned over safety
- Yet another percentage who couldn't be there on that particular day (you're measuring from one day only so far)
- Public school students are still at school, even though it's a weekend

I really don't think you could honestly expect a blockbuster crowd...

Edited by jake_hunt
I'll be honest, I accidentally clicked post

I hope as much as anyone that dreamworld do fully recover from the TRR accident

but to be honest  thunder river rapids and the rocky hollow log ride were a few of the only rides I really like - went to dreamworld for

so I really do not have any reason to go to dreamworld now

I will see what attractions they may replace these rides with in the future before I feel like going to dreamworld again

just my honest reactions to the TRR accident