Happy 35th Birthday Dreamworld

Reanimated35

Dreamworld via facebook:

Say hello to the mother of all Throwback Thursdays! 35 years ago to this very day we opened our doors for the very first time, and as you can see the park has changed just a little! <3

15492435_10154254563223613_2459277891599806221_n.jpg

Thought it might be a good idea to share some photos of the park over the years in its own thread, so please share any old photos you have of the park :) 

I had never seen that map before, cool stuff!

Here's to another 35. I hope in the coming years the park goes the way of the phoenix and rises up from the ashes (speaking about the recent tragedy and the way the park had been run previously) and turns into something beautiful again. I think we're on the right track with how Tiger Island looks, but time will tell.

!!!Happy 35th Dreamworld!!!

The great Passion of it's People along with the Millions of us who have and always will Love the Park, a great big beautiful tomorrow is not only hoped for DW, it's assured. 

Whilst it may not seem that way in the short term, the hundreds of millions of fond memories that People carry will always outstrip that of one horrific incident in the long run.

Happy 35th Birthday Dreamworld!

That Facebook post by DW that @reanimated35 shared was very interesting:

• Despite opening a year later, Thunderbolt & the surrounding Country Fair must have been planned to open on opening day as that park map of DW was published in the Gold Coast Bulletin on opening day exactly 35 years ago.
  • The area we consider Main Street was originally called Plaza with Main Street being the bit between Plaza & Country Fair (current day area between Top Spin & the Main Street Fountain).
  • Kelly's Shooting Gallery (known for being in Town Of Gold Rush) was originally in Gum Tree Gully.
  • The island's original name was Castaway Island.
  • An art gallery originally featured near the Ice Cream Parlour.
  • The Fairytale Treasures was not there on opening day - instead it was White House Souvenirs.
  • The Bumper Cars were originally located in front of Thunderbolt.
  • A helipad existed originally where Town Of Gold Rush stands.
  • An 'Indian Camp' existed near where Dreamworld Woolshed now stands - the purpose of the Indian Camp? It wasn't for the Captain Sturt Paddle Steamer, you'll find out in the article I've posted below.
If anyone wants a more high-resolution look at that newspaper feature that DW posted, click here.

It's nice to have an opening day park map that clearly states every single ride, attraction, shop, amenity etc.

This photo from Gold Coast City Council shows Rix family members on the Captain Sturt Paddle Wheeler at DW's official opening (Norm Rix - furthest family member on the right - was the Gold Coast City Council Alderman for Ward 2 at the time)

IMAGE?view=true

This article from The Australian Woman's Weekly archived on the National Library Of Australia's Trove service was published approximately 2 months prior to opening:

Australia's$13MillionFantasyLand.jpg

The last sentence of the above article is the most important sentence in the whole article.
Edited by Jamberoo Fan

26 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

This photo from Gold Coast City Council shows Rix family members on the Captain Sturt Paddle Wheeler at DW's official opening (Norm Rix - furthest family member on the right - was the Gold Coast City Council Alderman for Ward 2 at the time)

Why are you saying "Norm Rix - furthest family member on the right"?  I've completed a crap load of work for Norm and his never come across that funny.

Thunderbolt had 4 blocks..

1. Boarding / disembark

2. Lift hill

3. Ride itself and first brake run (covered with a tunnel around late 80's)

4. Second trim brake set.

The ride could run with 3 trains. Not sure if someone on here could verify, it may indeed have been the case ( that DW owned 3 trains)

2 hours ago, MickeyD said:

Thunderbolt had 4 blocks..

1. Boarding / disembark

2. Lift hill

3. Ride itself and first brake run (covered with a tunnel around late 80's)

4. Second trim brake set.

The ride could run with 3 trains. Not sure if someone on here could verify, it may indeed have been the case ( that DW owned 3 trains)

Thanks MickeyD had no idea/very little memories of Thunderbolt, simply remember the rattle.

Sadly it's not really such a happy birthday for Dreamworld. Very sad that the recent incident occurred at all, and for it to happen so close to Dreamworld's 35th birthday just makes it even worse in a way.

Still though. It has to be all about the future now, and with good management and the right investments, the future could be wonderful for Dreamworld. I hope it will be.

Out of curiosity, what happened to that house on the island?

Edited by pushbutton

it is a happy birthday. They've reopened, the park looks better than ever, and they can only go up from here. 

I really fucking wish people would stop downcasting the park like this incident just happened. it was over a month ago. In news media, it's dead and fucking buried. Move on...

On 15 December 2016 at 6:18 PM, pushbutton said:

Still though. It has to be all about the future now, and with good management and the right investments, the future could be wonderful for Dreamworld. I hope it will be.

Good point - I'm sure they'll continue to build on their great management team. They have made a lot of smart decisions in the past year or two.