Carnivale 2017

Zanstabar

Wow so many great things in this!  I love that they've included it in the entry price, because at this time of year the goal should be to keep the high spending tourists in the park for longer.  Per caps take a hit when the park is busy as the shops just fill up and people bypass shopping, so spreading out people's departure should help with that, as well as help traffic which is a nightmare around 5pm in town.  The cheap twilight tickets should help get some extra butts through the door at 5pm too!

Also really looking forward to the 'Fish Detectives Masquerade Ball' show.  Heard through the grapevine that there are no new animal behaviours, it's just a new script so it won't have cost them much, but for a show with a 3 week run that's fair enough I think and should be a good draw.  Same with the 'Rhythm of the night' show on the main lake at the end of the night, live percussion music with water fountains low level pyro, fire, lasers and other special effects.  Sounds like it could be really good fun!

Finally, it's good that they're bringing in a couple temporary carnie rides to help fill the day out for guests, and have more to do at night, otherwise it's just 2 adult rides and a bunch of kiddie rides.  New thrill ride and family ride are just what the doctor ordered.  I'm glad they didn't just transport' Movie World's version of the event over, minus the parade and act like it's good.  They've really adapted it for the park it's in.  

Sorry, I was so underwhelmed by what they announced that I just made up my own announcement.

Edited by joz

51 minutes ago, joz said:

Sorry, I was so underwhelmed by what they announced that I just made up my own announcement.

? I was confused for a moment there.

I agree with most of your points and I hope this is not a replacement for the MW event and if it is then a better event is planned. I wish for an expanded version of the DC Villans Parade that was offered a few years back.

Price point is good, although agree it should be free for day guests. 

I am excited about seeing the park at night, having experienced an Anzac Day when they opened to 7pm IIRC was great,

Edited by Jordan M.

On 17/12/2016 at 11:05 PM, djrappa said:

Yes but is this an additional event or a replacement?

Hi Elise, Movie World won't be hosting Carnivale, we are giving Sea World this year. More info on the event is now available at https://seaworldcarnivale.com.au/ . Tom from SW.

Replacement according to Tom

Edited by YLFATEEKS

I don't know - I feel like Sea World is a much better suited atmosphere to host Carnivale, and its a positive step in the right direction towards seeing SW host night events too - given that they aren't as constrained as MW is by neighbours and noise (other than their own resort).

I look forward to seeing Sea World host a few more night events in the future.

For me it comes down to value right now, in that i'm asking myself "should this have been included in the entry ticket like Dreamworld's summer offering?" Because I think both locals and holiday-goers are going to go and compare the two, and I honestly think that the only way Sea World will get a competitive edge over Dreamworld's offering is if Dreamworld can't get a majority share of their rides re-opened for summer.

It's not that I want to hate on Carnivale at Sea World, i've quietly thought that it'd be a great fit for a long while, and if they can carry the food offerings over and if the entertainment is overwhelmingly good, then I could be totally proven wrong, and if so i'll eat pie (hopefully from Carnivale). On paper as it stands i'm reserved. 

Ultimately, if you're charging for entry, then it'll need to live up to a higher bar of expectations not too far off from when it was at Movie World, and that in itself is a dangerous game to play, especially since Sea World probably aren't going to be matching Movie World's carnivale parade, which is strange given that's what the origin of Carnivale is all about.

A couple of thoughts i've had since the announcement:

It occurred to me that staff at SW might be getting a little upset that MW staff were getting all the primo events - I presume that they would fill the night time roster with MW staff before seeking staff from the other parks - so this shares it around a little more too.

I'd say Carnivale is a 'feasibility study' stage at SW at the moment - seeing if they can pull something off that gets the same level of praise. It is dangerous because previous visitors to Carnivale at MW will be using that as a yardstick. Nobody should go to these night events for rides (you'd only get 1 or 2 anyway) so SW's lack of rides isn't as big an issue as some see.

The parade on the other hand is an issue - but - they do have the floats down there, and they have previously done a parade in the park with Spongebob... so its not IMPOSSIBLE. Remember too that the main drag up to the plaza has just been completely redone, with a pathway right through the plaza. I haven't seen it for myself so i'm not sure of the logistics, but could it be possible they would use the 'fountain' just as they used the fountain in MW as a turning circle to marshall the floats back the way they came?

With the success of Carnivale at SW, I'm certain we'll see them come up with other night-time ideas to fill the gaps, although perhaps alternate throughout the year and give each park a turn. As Mickey said - for me, I'm confident we'll see VRTP release more \ different night time events (this is also a good opportunity to release a newer, higher tiered pass which offers entry to all of them). For all we know MW had another idea for an event, but couldn't accommodate it without losing carnivale, and its an event more suited to MW than SW.

THat said, as has been pointed out too - SW is lacking in a lot of areas at the moment. Most people who do the night time events arrive during the day and spend some day-time in park as well - by hosting it at SW it might bring more day guests to the park as well. Also, as said - Dreamworld's reopening plan with the nighttime events included is a competing product. I think, given many passholders have carnivale included in admission will mean that both events will be regarded as an 'inclusion' to many. Charging non passholders just helps put a cap on attendance. If it fails, i'm sure we'll see price drops, or 'included in entry' - but for now, at least they have something to compete with Dreamworld.

The one ace in the hole for VRTP - as slick says people are going to compare the two - one park hasn't just recovered from a high impact event that does actually impact people's decisions to visit the park. So for those people, if they were to compare, that in itself might be enough to tip the scales in VRTPs favour.

Given that Carnivale's primary goal seems to be to sell food, it seems like a mistake to have this as a separately ticketed event. Especially considering that Sea World doesn't have much in the way of rides to occupy guests when they're not dining. Better to just keep the park open past 5 and include it in regular admission.

What next, Fright Nights at Paradise Country (disclaimer: I am joking).

Interesting move, not sure if they'll reproduce the atmosphere of the main strip at Movie World at SW, but I guess we'll see. Maybe they are doing a lower production cost version of the event, was it profitable at Movie World (I've heard not)?

The timing is interesting, get some more visitation at night during peak season potentially.

Edited by downunder

i think the atmosphere (and the temperature) will make a january night event a success at Sea World under any name\theme.

My only concern is that they tighten security. We all remember the stolen penguin debacle. There are plenty more places in SW a person could jump a fence and hide until close - and the animals are much more vulnerable than 'movie sets'.