Attraction in and near Surfers Paradise

pushbutton

......."and now for something completely different!"

Whilst it's not a theme park, Surfers Paradise (and nearby locations) has a selection of incredible fun attractions.

This just seems to keep getting bigger and better, to the point it's almost a shame there isn't an annual pass for all of them! So I thought I'd start a thread to discuss these attractions, and our experiences of them, and also any ideas for other attractions that could potentially be added.

So here's what I'm aware of at this stage:

I've only been to Timezone Gold Coast, SkyPoint, Infinity & Ripley's Believe It Or Not? - there are all good fun and SkyPoint provides stunning views.

I've always wondered how Infinity works?

@pushbutton, remember SkyPoint is owned by Ardent Leisure & is included in DW's annual passes. Is Timezone Gold Coast really 'the worlds biggest indoor entertainment complex'?

Dracula's Haunted House is alright, I went about 7 years ago when it first opened, never been back,

havent bothered with infinity as I've heard whilst good unless you move real slow through the place you are out in 15mins which isn't great value IMO..

havent done Ripleys since it moved into the new location, did it on holidays once long before I moved up here, it was interesting. 

Skypoint is great, especially at night, or in a storm. 

TimeZone is great. Next time I go I'll steal a trundle wheel off a primary school kid measuring their playground beforehand just so I can double check that claim for you @Jamberoo Fan

The haunted house is ok as far as haunted houses you find on the road go - a few decent scares did it a few years back. Haven't done anything else on the list, I don't know why I haven't done Skypoint yet honestly - although I still can confirm a storm from there is pretty spectacular - was staying in Q1 a few years back and there were a bunch of storms - even from a lower floor they were amazing to watch.

Infinity is only quick if you make it that. I did it last march and spend probably a good hour or so in there? mind you about 10 minutes of that was me waiting for a group to come by (i was by myself) cause i saw the hands on the door after the camera and was like NOPE.jpg. And as someone who is a very effects heavy person and find it hard to be fooled as such, some of the rooms in there blew me away (not the infinity rooms, but mainly the lasers through the mirror right before the camera and the mirror to create height bridge room thing).

I spent the same amount of time roughly in Ripleys. while i did move a bit fast through it, it was nice to add another well regarded pinball machine to my list in the treasure room, and i did set the then current 2nd place score on the lazer maze.

Timezone i will never not go to as long as they keep the $30 combo in all its magic. It was also ranked as the #1 arcade in the world a few years ago too.

8 hours ago, jake_hunt said:

As cheesy as it may be, there's also King Tutt's Putt Putt. Probably one of the better putt-putt golf courses I've ever been to. Good way to waste a few daylight hours if you've got kids.

http://kingtuttsputtputt.com.au/

Claiming it's "one of the better ones" to me anyway, set's a fairly low standard for the rest of them. Yes, granted, it IS one of the better ones, but it's getting on in years (unless I'm mistaken and they've done a refurb in the last 5 or so years). It just felt kind of old and stale last time I went. IMO, if you've done it once or twice, there's not much replay ability even after a couple of years. 

King Tutt's has two I believe - the one near cavill and one out near carrara. I've been to the carrara one and although pleasantly landscaped, it was quite yawn worthy.

My favourite Putt Putt on the coast is https://www.puttputtgolf.com.au/

they're in Mermaid Beach, so its a little further to go, but its a great day (or night) out, close enough to the beach to get the cool sea breezes, wonderfully landscaped and nicely themed, and plenty of eating options surrounding them including a pub right next door (so of course, @joz is in).

Since we're covering them - google tells me that Parkwood (near the GC hospital) also has one. Their website shows little in the way of theme (it's attached to a proper golf course though) so it is very nicely set and landscaped, and is now on my list to check out http://www.parkwoodgc.com.au/mini-golf/

Side note - but I just want to congratulate @pushbutton on a really great idea for a thread.

Considering people come here when planning their GC holidays, and they're mostly seeking theme park advice, this thread should be a gold mine of 'things to do that don't involve a day at a theme park' which most families look to schedule in when they have a week or more.

Good job.

2 minutes ago, AlexB said:

My favourite Putt Putt on the coast is https://www.puttputtgolf.com.au/

YES! I couldn't remember the name of it, but yes! This is probably the second best putt-putt I've been to in a long time. (The best IMO being Glow Golf in Melbourne.) 

Don't let the overly saturated pics fool you, Putt Putt is still a pretty old course, but does have a nice replay ability. Plus, unless they've changed it, the tickets never expire, so you could buy 3 courses, do one, come back in a year or so and do another on the same ticket. 

Putt Putt has had some renovations in the last few years, as I think it didn't look as shabby when I was there earlier this year than it had a few years before that.  There are 3 different courses, the theming is slightly different between them.  I quite like the waterways one.  I've also bought the multi-game ticket, and gone a long time between games.

ETA: One of my kids favourite things to do on holidays at the Gold Coast is ride the old carousel in the Broadbeach mall.   I'm also quite fond of Hard Rock Cafe Surfers Paradise, particularly their burgers and share platters.  We're going to iFly in the next few weeks, so I can come back and give some feedback on that one.  

Edited by liz.wis

12 minutes ago, webslave said:

Did the outdoor course at King Tutt's recently for the first time.  I generally found it to be in poor repair.  2/5.

Last time we went there was a massive downpour...  Didn't stop us playing the outdoor course despite each hole being completely flooded...  Had to add a one-stroke penalty on every putt...

9 minutes ago, liz.wis said:

One of my kids favourite things to do on holidays at the Gold Coast is ride the old carousel in the Broadbeach mall.   I'm also quite fond of Hard Rock Cafe Surfers Paradise, particularly their burgers and share platters.

I like both your things too and you have made me hungry.