Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Reopening [Dec 26, 2016]

Reanimated35

I was surprised seeing those photos that @reanimated35 shared yesterday but was mainly disappointed that MW didn't warn guests yesterday that 'thematic enhancements' were underway. MW does have high theming standards but as long as it is temporary & guests are warned, then it is fine for me. For anyone who is wondering, here is a more panoramic version of 2 of those photos @reanimated35 shared:

ScoobyDooSpookyCoasterNoTheming.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this photo is of the stations viewed from the final brake run while this photo is of the left turn after the 'axe-attacking knight statues'.

On 26/12/2016 at 5:13 PM, Glubbo said:

I hope they go with Mystery Incorporated - a more modern take albeit just as spooky/quirky as the previous versions.

11 hours ago, Themeparkfan said:

I think  either it's a complete retheme or a fresh new Scooby storyline 

It would be very difficult to do a Scooby Doo re-theme - it has to be based around Spooky Castle as that is the entrance to the ride and the carriages are the same as Spooky Castle's carriages. Unless MW changes the carriages (or re-themes them - I don't know how easy that is), it has to be themed to Spooky Castle.

22 hours ago, wipeout94 said:

Just a thought.

Could they be preparing to convert SDSC into a VR ride?

Extremely unlikely but if that was the case, I'd write a complaint letter. A dark ride (or an indoor ride) should never have VR in my opinion.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

4 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

As much as I hate what they've done, I agree with this. Any chance a Parkz user can get in there and do a nice POV video?

Unless you're trying to summon AndrewH, I don't think there's a chance the park will let anyone film it, Parkz or GP, Theming or empty warehouse. Not only would it go against their pre-existing policies, I doubt the park would want the state its currently in to end up on the internet, or even worse, in the hands of the media.

The photos are probably already more than they wanted, a public video would not be in the interests of the park at all.

I've been looking through this chat and all I can see is people saying, "They are making terrible decisions" and things similar to that. Not to sound rude or anything but they probably know what they are doing, and they know better than you do. Im actually excited to see what comes out of this. Anyone else with me?

1 minute ago, ClassifiedLlama said:

I've been looking through this chat and all I can see is people saying, "They are making terrible decisions" and things similar to that. Not to sound rude or anything but they probably know what they are doing, and they know better than you do. Im actually excited to see what comes out of this. Anyone else with me?

Welcome to the extremely small club of 2 or 3 of us who don't mind this temporary interruption to the normal ride experience. What does have the potential to disappoint me though is the proposed new time frame that it's going to be going under maintenance. I guess at least that way I'll have more time to get back to the park and check it out than what I originally thought. 

1 minute ago, ClassifiedLlama said:

You can look forward to the theming update but also be disappointed with their decision to reopen the ride in its current state.

1 hour ago, Santa07 said:

Not only would it go against their pre-existing policies, I doubt the park would want the state its currently in to end up on the internet, or even worse, in the hands of the media.

I think cameras are allowed on SDSC but whether MW wants it to be filmed without most of it's theming is another matter. I don't think the media would care unless it was found to be unsafe.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

4 hours ago, ClassifiedLlama said:

The only poor decision they have made is opening a ride that's under their standards and well below the expectations of paying visitors to the park, and moreso, it was the lack of communication or notice regarding it. 

Edited by Brad2912

1 hour ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

I think cameras are allowed on SDSC but whether MW wants it to be filmed without most of it's theming is another matter. I don't think the media would care unless it was found to be unsafe.

They don't allow cameras on any of their rides, whether or not you can take loose items onto the ride. Without special permission from the park, nothing can be photographed or filmed.

@bladex I guess we can't say for sure, but I'd think so. Surely just retheming the pre-coaster section would be cheaper than retheming the entire queue, carriages, coaster section and theming/ride signage.

Although, as people have said, WBMW could use this to their advantage and take the opportunity to do a full overhaul. So I guess either way is totally possible.

I'd hate to see it changed, and highly doubt they would removed the SD theme. I just don't think the ride would be as good, even if it did have the same layout, if it didn't revolve around SD. It makes it family friendly, a show that most people would've loved as a kid (I certainly did). I just see this as a bump in the road that they were only just aware of the scale of the issue, but most certainly will return it to its former glory, maybe even better. And I can't blame them for opening it, yes the ride is a bit of a mess inside, and doesn't provide the same experience, but it had to be done, and if they kept the ride closed, there would've been a lot of complaints, and the queues for other rides would've been even crazier. Now that they have addressed it with the sign out the front, it shouldn't be as a major of issue.

12 hours ago, bladex said:

is it still going to be scooby doo?

They're changing it to Scooby Poo, because it looks like shit. 

Really surprised by what's happened, but I guess no one is taking any chances with safety or the perception of safety now (and being in between a rock and a hard place in peak season). It's a real shame, the Ghost train part adds so much to the ride.