2016 and the year our Parks would rather forget

MickeyD

Tomorrow, December 26 will mark the first of the 'Really busy' days for the GC Parks. Historically a time for wild success and letting the good times roll. Well, at least until this year...

Attendance at our Parks would typically exceed 3 to 5 times the norm when gates reopen tomorrow and remain consistently extreme through the first week into the new year.

Such a time where it can also be expected a brand new multi million dollar attraction would officially open, perhaps together along with another major Holiday event to help draw in Punters.

It's typically a very exciting time for the Coast and our Parks. But sadly not this year.

Every Park has it's challenges to face this Summer of 2016, a side effect of the terrible tragedies faced by DW, no doubt.

Still, I cannot help but feel utter disappointment in the way that our other Parks (namely MW and SW) have managed and prepared themselves with offering fewer attractions and the most lacklustre Holiday effort I have ever seen. It's like they are not even bothering to try. 

At least DW are offering heavily reduced admission, extended trading and a kick arse night show right?

I look forward to hearing the opinions of others and if you think our Parks are doing everything possible to win back the trust or if this year they're merely sailing by on the wings of apathy, hoping to bury it with the rest of 2016

Thoughts?

VRTP are investing around $500 million into their parks. That kind of capital isn't going to result in thing being built overnight. 

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's all doom and gloom for the holidays. There's been a few things out of everyone's control that have impacted operations. 

I'm happy with VRTP's efforts for the season. It's been enough for me to swap over to a membership rather than just a VIP pass. Yes, there's always room for improvement in everything, but nothing is perfect.

As for Ardent? I think they're doing pretty well given what's happened. They're progressing quite nicely and things are starting to come back online. Some things just take time. 

Yeah, I agree. I think with the exception of SW (maybe?) most things are out of everyone's controls. I definitely feel this year has been a bit of a dud overall for the theme park industry on the Coast, and hope we can see bigger and brighter things eventuate next year.

I really feel sorry for those who have saved and planned to come holiday on the Coast over the Christmas break.

Edited by ash.1111

Looks like 2017 will be the first year where I will be looking at other options aside from themeparks when I hit the GG. With Vikings Revenge gone from SW, Scooby Doo looking rather sad, and TRR and seemingly Log Plume gone, a lot of the family options seem to be drying up. I'm hopeful that this is all in preparation for the 2018 Commonwealth Games and that 2018 will be a banner year but looks like we'll be going through a low before hitting a high. Well, at least we'll finally have an excuse to to try Putt Putt and Jetboating!!

My thoughts - DW is definitely doing everything possible to win back the trust while the other parks are just complying with their safety audit requirements as well as now taking extra caution towards guest safety but they may not be 'trying' to operate at their usual standards due to the lower than usual attendance. SW might not be getting a lot of praise on here but at least they still got marine animals/educational exhibits. They are probably redirecting finances to non-ride projects this year or saving it for a major investment in future years.

2016 has been a big year for the Gold Coast parks - they are focusing on refurbishing this time - no doubt that it is for the Commonwealth Games:

• DC Comics Super-Villains Unleashed
  • Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy Virtual Reality
  • Star Tour - Access All Areas
  • Wet 'n' Wild Buggy
  • Super 8 Aqua Racer refurbishment
  • Sea World Plaza refurbishment
  • Stage 1 of Tiger Island refurbishment

The Lego Store would have also opened had the Thunder River Rapids incident not occurred & the parks have been making other improvements to the park in general. There might have been more to add to that list above too but that's all I can remember right now.

At least 1 theme park got a completely new non-upcharge attraction in Doomsday Destroyer - anywhere else in Australia, you could go a few years without a new ride so if you're a regular Gold Coast theme park visitor, consider how lucky you are to have new rides & attractions nearly every year. Bit unlucky though this year that Doomsday Destroyer has been in maintenance longer than it has been opened though...