Wait what! Sonics coming back?!

Emoamy

Now I'm not sure if this is real or not but rumors have it that Sonic making a come back! They may be making a some sort of Sonic theme park as part of project Sonic 2017 in my opinion as a Sonic fan girl, Sega needs to premot him more so people get used to like Sonic boom and stuff, I hope that project Sonic 2017 isnt like Sonic 06.... Because we will be all doomed and also they might be making a Sonic theme park in Australia next year as part of project Sonic 2017 I saw rumors on face book my dad showed me, if it's true all Sonic fans will go nuts! 

3 hours ago, Emoamy said:

Now I'm not sure if this is real or not but rumors have it that Sonic making a come back! They may be making a some sort of Sonic theme park as part of project Sonic 2017 in my opinion as a Sonic fan girl, Sega needs to premot him more so people get used to like Sonic boom and stuff, I hope that project Sonic 2017 isnt like Sonic 06.... Because we will be all doomed and also they might be making a Sonic theme park in Australia next year as part of project Sonic 2017 I saw rumors on face book my dad showed me, if it's true all Sonic fans will go nuts! 

Now, I must admit that game looks promising, but:

giphy.gif

Sega tried their hand at theme parks in the mid 90's, and both of their big parks in London and Sydney flopped so hard that both of them died by 2000, losing millions of dollars for Sega in the process. While it would be awesome if there was a remote possibility it would happen, Sega's theme park experiment was a failure and I seriously doubt they would try it again. 

12 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Sega Republic in the UAE is still running right? That only opened in 2008....

Yeah, I went to the park a couple of months ago. Sega also have Joypolis in Tokyo as well. Apparently both are doing quite well as opposed to the theme parks Sega tried to run in London and Sydney. Probably because Sega in Dubai is actually a Sonic theme park and Joypolis is actually an arcade fed steroids, unlike the other two which were arcades pretending to be theme parks...

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

34 minutes ago, Emoamy said:

Well if they make one in Australia or even new Zealand shit could get real and more people would like Sonic more plus Sega will be making billions of dollars 

Billions? Only household name parks such as Disney or Universal would make that. Sonic and Sega in general, is on the edge of death here in Australia, and would be extremely costly for Sega to put a park there, let alone get a profit from it. If you follow iconic franchises such as Sonic, . It's already been done before here and it blew up in Sega's face. They only spent two years managing the park before they managed to get off the sinking ship, losing millions in the process. Segaworld, and other factors, were key to Sega's decision to stop production of game consoles, and downsizing its arcade business.

The only way Sega would ever get its characters in a theme park would be through a partnership with Ardent or VRTP (a la Alton Towers with Sonic Spinball), and given Universal has just bought Dreamworks, Sega could partner with Dreamworld to retheme the family area to its properties. But, considering Sega does not operate in Australia anymore and its franchises are dying out here, it would be smarter to do such a thing in the US or the UK, the two countries where Sonic is remotely popular.

10 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Yeah, I went to the park a couple of months ago. Sega also have Joypolis in Tokyo as well. Apparently both are doing quite well as opposed to the theme parks Sega tried to run in London and Sydney. Probably because Sega in Dubai is actually a Sonic theme park and Joypolis is actually an arcade fed steroids, unlike the other two which were arcades pretending to be theme parks...

Can confirm Joypolis is tits. Veil of Darkness is one kickass roller-coaster given each harness has a weird game controller built into it that lets you shoot moving screens as you go through the ride.

44 minutes ago, Emoamy said:

Well if they make one in Australia or even new Zealand shit could get real and more people would like Sonic more plus Sega will be making billions of dollars 

I think the age of having a theme park with a very narrow focus (i.e. one character's universe like Sonic) is well and truly over. Space World in Japan (which is closing next year) is a good example that this doesn't work anymore. That's why any major park will have multiple IP's like Superman or Bugs Bunny to attract a wide audience in through the gates.

I loved Joypolis, and it would've been sweet if they did something that size in Australia (technically they did, and that failed), but the arcade culture here that makes it possible In Japan is dead here or at best, incredibly niche. It's why arcades all over the country are closing their doors. People game online in their homes. By comparison, just the size of Japanese homes is enough of a reason for you to go to an arcade, nevermind how batshit crazy some of their arcade machines are.

13 minutes ago, Prequel said:

@omega237 think your mistaken, Movie World is about movies. specifically Warner Brothers movies.

To be honest, Sonic is dead. Sega doesn't make consoles anymore, i think they should give it a rest. (My opinion). 

So? Universal is too, but that doesn't stop them from making attractions based off shows, films, and video games. Plus Sonic is still alive even if Sega is a third party. Plus they also do mazes from other IPs not own by Warner Bros during Fright Nights.

Edited by omega237

12 minutes ago, Prequel said:

@omega237 think your mistaken, Movie World is about movies. specifically Warner Brothers movies.

To be honest, Sonic is dead. Sega doesn't make consoles anymore, i think they should give it a rest. (My opinion). 

Generally, Sonic is dead, but the Boom cartoon is thriving in Australia and the UK. Sega will continue to make Sonic games as long as the company still exists, in fact they will release two games this year - both I have already preordered. A movie is even coming out in 2018 (that will most likely be shit, given it's a video game movie)

@omega237 Dreamworld will probably soon lose the Dreamworks license to Universal, perhaps there might be a remote possibility for a Sega retheme of the area. I doubt it, though.

2 hours ago, westical said:

Why would Universal want the Dreamworks license in Australia?

Universal bought Dreamworks very recently. I believe Universal will make Dreamworks a license exclusive to their theme parks, like what Disney has done with Star Wars and Marvel. It is unlikely Universal will license Dreamworks to a park competing with its own park in Singapore.

26 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Universal bought Dreamworks very recently. I believe Universal will make Dreamworks a license exclusive to their theme parks, like what Disney has done with Star Wars and Marvel. It is unlikely Universal will license Dreamworks to a park competing with its own park in Singapore.

Unless Universal aquires Dreamworld or like how Disney allow Universal to use Marvel in Orlando due to Marvel Superhero Island was in Islands of Adventure before Disney aquired Marvel Universal could allow Dreamworld to still use Dreamworks in Dreamworld.

Edited by omega237

11 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

First time I've heard Dreamworld being a competitor to Universal Singapore.

Dreamworks has also been in Universal Singapore since it opened, so if the competition hasn't hurt them yet, i doubt it would be an issue moving forward, although they probably will eventually pull it in when the contract comes up for renewal, and if the contract terms allow them to.

I'd say Dreamworks would have to be able to prove that the incident has damaged their brand. Nothing with the dreamworks IP attached to it was involved, and very little mention of anything associated with them made it into the media reports.

Sure they could try, but given the investment the park made into the area, i'm sure they'd contest it - it would probably result in some long and arduous litigation

On 12/26/2016 at 6:45 AM, XxMrYoshixX said:

Sega tried their hand at theme parks in the mid 90's, and both of their big parks in London and Sydney flopped so hard that both of them died by 2000, losing millions of dollars for Sega in the process. 

I think you will find that Sega World in Sydney was never owned by Sega, the only provided theming and licences for the park. It was owned by Jacfun who were in it for a profit (which they did not get)

I believe they also originally built the park without Sega's full approval.