Themed Areas you'd like to see in our Parks?

ThemeTendo

Are there any themed areas you guys would like to see added to our parks in the future? What and where?

Such as a futuristic themed area or maybe an Intellectual property you'd like to see transformed or adapted into a new themed area. Which park would you like to see the theme at and why do you think it'll fit there over another park?

---

Joz has in the past showed what a boardwalk/pier style area would look like at Sea World. Which would be something I'd love to see become a reality.

A Futuristic/Sci-Fi area at Dreamworld or Movie World would be great to see, if done correctly. (obviously)

I'd just love to see what you can all come up with :)

Note: I'm not happy with the way I've phrased this post (at all), but I accidentally posted it before I was finished...

Edited by ThemeTendo
Wasn't finished before it posted! :/

17 minutes ago, Slick said:

Yes. You?

Wasn't finished typing up the post at all haha, wasn't even sure if I was going to post it even if I had finished it, so I suppose I've forced my own hand now :P

But to actually answer your question, I'd love to see a non-DC themed family area at Movie World. Possibly themed to a different family IP, Ice Age maybe, I'd love to see a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed area (the most recent film), the theming in either area could be top-notch and great for photos ;)

But the area (Chocolate Factory) would have a decent sized Big Thunder Mountain style mine train coaster through the factory, and some family spinning rides. An Augustus Gloop themed tower ride anyone?

My ideas are quite vague, but I'm not a very creative person, which is why I pose the question to the Parkz community, because I know you all have some great ideas for the parks and I was hoping some people would be willing to share those :) 

Edited by ThemeTendo
Added Answer... I'm not organised at all

The themes I'd like to see aren't able to be licensed to any parks in Australia.

• Star Wars - Disney
    • My dream ride is a speeder bike Endor ride.
    • Dark ride - inside Death Star with ride cars as x-wings, like Return of the Jedi.
    • Multiple launch coaster - Pod Race.
    • Snow Speeder motion control ride (like Star Tours at Disney or B:TR @ Movieworld).
    • Family walkthrough - Ewok Tree Village.
    • Food area: Mos Eisley Cantina.
  • Indiana Jones - Disney
    • Mine Cart ride inspired by Temple of Doom.
    • Water Rapids ride/Dark Water ride - Temple of Doom rapids, turns into something like Pirates of the Caribbean.
    • Food area - Club Obi Wan (wait, what?!??), WW2 era Dirigible (projected sky outside windows).
    • Ride similar to Revenge of the Mummy, but both indoor and outdoor using the opening scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark (idol, boulder in cave, jungle escape).
  • Jurassic Park - Universal

So instead, my other ideas include:

• Retro (50s) SciFi
  • Fantasy inspired by Lord of the Rings
  • Steampunk
  • Motoring - hot/classic cars, racing cars, motor bikes, vintage cars.

If you haven't seen it, here is my idea for an 'open ocean' themed area at the SBNO Sea World Resort Water Park site.

This isn't a new 'themed' area but given DW has a Motorsports Experience, I wished they utilised the remaining land/back of house area on the former Thunderbolt site to move MDMC to there as well as the Vintage Cars. To complete it, FlowRider would also be moved to inside Whitewater World allowing all the rides of the Motorsports Experience to be connected with flowing theming. This would be very difficult to do (especially a MDMC relocation) but it would make it a very decently themed area afterwards:

• Hotwheels Sidewinder
  • Brock's Garage
  • V8 Redline Simulators
  • Mick Doohan's Motocoaster
  • Vintage Cars
7 hours ago, ThemeTendo said:

I'd love to see a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory themed area (the most recent film), the theming in either area could be top-notch and great for photos ;) 

But the area (Chocolate Factory) would have a decent sized Big Thunder Mountain style mine train coaster through the factory...

When I first saw that movie in 2005, I hoped MW , at the time, would build a new dark water ride (to replace LTRR) to suit the film based on this scene:

The show building being themed as the factory and the queue going through the 'factory' gates/doors, through the Wonka's Welcome Song animatronic display (not all burnt though), through the entrance/main corridor to the Chocolate Room (using forced perspective to make the next doorway look small) before wandering around the Chocolate Room to the edge of the Chocolate River. A trip along the Chocolate River being the ride's main part. The exit of the ride goes through the various other rooms of the factory before you enter the Great Glass Elevator as a 'post-show' section which 'transports' you back to MW. 

The dark water ride I could have seen being either a boat ride (like LTRR & BT), a water coaster or a river rapids ride. The former LTRR had 'elevators' which could have been re-themed as the Great Glass Elevator. I do know Alton Towers have a Charlie & The Chocolate Factory ride that is similar in concept.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Here's a couple:

Area themed to 1960s American culture.

• Coaster: Launched coaster themed to Mustangs and 1960s era racing with a retro gas station as its queue, and a 1960s car garage as the station.
  • Flats: Probably some classic flats such as a Scrambler, Troika, given themes reminiscent of a 1960s era fairground.
  • General Theming: Old buildings with WWII era posters.
  • Food Area: 1960's KFC-inspired restaurant, selling fried chicken and chips. 

Area themed to Sega videogames.

• Coaster: Mack Launched Megacoaster (similar to Blue Fire) themed to Sonic Adventure. Ride is themed to the final boss fight of the game in the queue and onride, with the coaster manoeuvring around the destroyed Station Square depicted in the final boss. I could see a splashdown element added in this as well.
  • Reference:
  •  sonic_adventure_dx_super_sonic_vs_perfec
  • Dark Ride: Outrun-themed ride similar to Test Track at Epcot. Ride is themed to the original arcade game, and the ride vehicles are modelled after Testarossas like in the game. Ride has a short indoor section, and a longer Test Track-style outdoor section with a fast speed.
  • Dark Ride #2: Shenmue- themed dark ride similar to the Disney trackless dark rides at numerous Disney parks, possibly themed to the first game.
  • Flats: Insert random rides themed to Sonic characters and other Sega franchises here. A dodgem cars ride themed to the Twinkle Park level from Sonic Adventure wouldn't be bad.
  • Food Area: A restaurant inside a MegaDrive replica building.

I'd also love a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory dark ride with chocolate river and great glass elevator. I've been on the one at Alton Towers and it's fantastic! 

Also a Doctor Who walk through similar to the one I've been in at the Doctor Who experience in London would be awesome. Dreamworld would probably have the best chance of pulling it off given they already have arrangements to use ABC kids characters and ABC has close links with BBC and broadcasting rights for Doctor Who. 

A Simpsons dark ride would also be brilliant! 

I agree with @Jamberoo Fan in regards to Dreamworld bringing the motoring themed areas together, not that they ever would. Bring Vintage Cars and MDMC up to that part of the park somehow. The land MDMC occupies is a perfect spot for something else, and if RHLR goes, the new theme opportunity can stretch from MDMC's entry all the way to DW Auditorium.

So. Much. Land.

Back on topic, I agree with @Life with DW doing more Australiana and adding a Rainforest theme. Lots of potential, especially for @Slick and others' RMC/woody suggestion.

I think there are themes that could be done better than they are - I'd love to see the Wild West area expanded at Movie World with a few more related rides.  While we're at MW, a whole overhaul of the kids' area would be great - while I like the Looney Tunes theme, I'd like to see a couple of more family/older children rides - even my 4-year-old was not overly impressed with the train ride and Tweety cages.  

I still love the idea floated about Sea World having a seaside pier theme, that would be amazing.  

There's now plenty of opportunities to extend the Australiana area of Dreamworld.  While I don't hate MDMC as much as others, it really is in a bad location.

Ever since the villains area opened up at MW, I've always thought they could re-theme Wild West Falls into something along the lines of a dark ride themed to the Penguin. The whole mountain would need to be repainted however into a frosted mountain-type look, the flumes would need to be replaced with rubber duckies or penguins, and you'd need to add some more props but its an idea and it would add an extra ride to the villains area. For those who have no idea what I'm going on about, watch Batman Returns and the underground sections where Penguin travels around under the city. Probably would cost too much to do however.....

While a MDMC move is what a lot of people here want most (apart from a complete removal), I think DW would be wanting to use that area for WWW since its really the only place they can expand to, without cutting into the carkpark. I'd just prefer a retheme of MDMC with new trains (even something like dirtbike racing would fit in better - or if they wanted to change it completely they could go for quadbikes and get trains similar to those on Juvelen).

Also gives a great opportunity to pull the ground up, add some rocks, and make the coaster feel a lot closer to the ground (and consequently feel a lot faster)

@Redboost As cool as that would be on paper, I would really despise WBMW if they did that. I'm a massive DC fan, but even I agree that Movie World should be Movie World, not DC World.

I personally feel that the Western area needs to be expanded upon - maybe another ride or two - and there needs to be an emphasis on areas of the parks that AREN'T based on DC heroes and villains. Especially if the new hypercoaster is DC-themed, I feel that they may have overbalanced the park slightly, leaving only the kids' area, SDSC, and WWF as the major attractions NOT themed around DC. There's now plenty of rides and great theming for the DC fans, I think it's time for something different.

On that note, I'd love to see WBMW expand into some of their so far untouched properties - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sherlock Holmes, The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, Mad Max... There's plenty to choose from, let's balance out the park a little.

I love the idea of the beach boardwalk in SW, and I'd like the motorsports attractions brought together at DW, perhaps to make way for a new Australiana area, or even an expansion of the Rivertown theme that has been long lost to MDMC.

When thinking of themed lands, I also think back to my days playing RCT3 - a sci-fi area, a spooky area, a dinosaur area, an Atlantis-themed area... they've all been untouched and could be pretty cool in the right park...

All my ideas are pretty blue sky, because let's face it after MW's new coaster it'll be a long time before any big new areas get built anywhere at Village.  Everything I've got is pretty vague too so don't demand details.

At Movie World I'd love to see an area themed to Animal Logic, that's the Australian studio that made Happy Feet, Legend of the Gaurdians, and the Lego Movies.  Think 'Pixar Place' at DHS and you've got the general idea.  Placement wise I'd like to take a page out of Universal's book and change the layout of the studios to give the park more room.  This would involve moving the admin/reception for the studios towards where the actual entrance of the studios are, instead of so close to the park, as well as replacements for sound stages 1 and 2 built further away from the park, allowing the show stages to be used as a big show building for a big new family ride (not thrill ride, not kiddie ride, family ride).  I think Lego batman would provide a great transition between the DC area and the Animal Logic area, and having dedicated family areas on opposite ends of the park would make it feel much bigger.  

Animal Logic aren't a household name yet, but a couple of their movies are already classics, distrubuted by Village and WB.  It makes so much sense, if they keep going the way they're going I think a themed land dedicated to their movies could be great.

At Sea World obviously I've detailed in the past what I'd like to see.  After that I'd like to see the area around Jet Rescue be themed to an 18th century port, the kind where tall ships are going off on adventures to discover the world and there are all these fanciful stories of sea monsters and the like.  The coaster I've detailed previously would fit into that theme, and given you'd be looking 10/15 years in the future you'd be looking at Jet Rescue's land with the view to a ride that takes you on an adventure with one of the early explorers.  

At Dreamworld I've long advocated for a dark themed land,  taking over Blue Lagoon, something akin to Alton Tower's forbiddian valley.  After this year I don't think there's an appetite for that quite some time to come.  What I would like to see is a back to basics Gold Rush country, a mine train and a chute the shoots.  Rather than being themed to an abounded historical site like Gold Rush is now, I'd like to see it look like it's a mine that's still in use; like you've traveled back in time.  One of the things Dreamworld copped flack over lately was that the area Thunder River was in looked run down.  We know that was the theme, but I don't think Dreamworld should do that theme anymore.  Modern mine, maybe give it a bit of a steampunk look and I think you could end up with something.

Again, Blue Sky, very vague, but you can kind of see how I'd be shaping the parks.

MW:

- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory (dark water ride)

- Mad Max (RMC coaster), next to WWF so sort of the west flows into deserted wasteland. 

- Expanded LT area, with Omni mover, new kids, show area for LT show and rapids ride. (Of course pie in the sky thinking because you'd need to move a lot around to make that kind of room and we won't be seeing any rapids on the coast for some time now.) 

- I like Joz's idea for Animal Logic, but the nostalgia in me would love to see Hannah Barbera too. Scoring Doo is reportedly getting rebooted and WB are said to be looking at other HB franchises to reboot. 

- If the Vacation films hadn't bombed and they were making another I would have liked to have seen that become the new stunt show. 

DW: 

Keep the Gold Rush area, but make it more like how Dollywood is presented. 

- A dark ride 

- RMC 

- B&M Wing Coaster 

- And a Large family flume 

Plus, retrack some of MD, retheme and look at something like upping the power in the launch or creating a second launch like JR at SW. 

And create an interactive playground on the island. 

I'm someone who doesn't think DW should touch the island. Going past it on the railway the other day made me realise how beautiful that section of the park is and what a massive contrast it has to the other parts of the park. It does create a bit of a barrier between the 'main' section of the park and Coroboree, but I don't think disturbing the nature on that island would be a good way to go since it would destroy some of the Aussie bush atmosphere you get back there. They have other land to use before they should think about developing that land.

For me, I'd do the following to the parks:

Sea World: Pretty much Joz's previous idea - would be perfect for the park. They have a lot of land to play with.

Movie World: Expand the park towards the back, there's room there for a new themed land (or two), which would include plenty of room for a few big attractions (rollercoasters/dark rides). Honestly as long as its not DC, I'd be happy to see any theme back there - I definitely like Joz's idea of Animal Logic and the lego batman transition. I think this park would benefit immensely by becoming more Universal Studios-esque, a couple of massive dark rides and themed areas could achieve this. As coasters go, I don't think the park will have any need to add one for a while, and the next coaster they do get will be of a smaller scale (possibly a family coaster?).

Dreamworld: Bring some life to Gold Rush, add a new family ride there to replace TRRR (either a new modern water ride or a dark ride). Retheme MDMC, add new trains and roughen up the terrain a bit to heighten the sensation of speed (possibly re-profile the track or bump up the launch but that might not be worth the money). Create a new themed area (with the same level of theming quality as tiger island) incorporating Blue Lagoon and possibly Rocky Hollow (if that's going). Possibly retheme Giant Drop accordingly (or at least give its current theming a bit of a revamp). Build a new coaster over this new area - if they were going with an older theme a woodie would be great (I'm thinking GCI here), if they're going with a more modern theme (perhaps something futuristic?) build a modern woodie (RMC - possibly a hybrid although I think a straight wooden coaster would have better marketing possibilities) or a Mack (big dipper or multilaunch). Use the leftover thunderbolt land to expand WWW.

For DW, I've been thinking about what could replace TRRR/EMR, and I reckon a big B&M dive coaster painted a rusty brown would work a treat. And perhaps to keep guests cool in summer, yet appear more "safe", a splash battle ride around the B&M.

I know it's likely to never happen, but it would be perfect.

Edited by ash.1111

10 hours ago, ash.1111 said:

For DW, I've been thinking about what could replace TRRR/EMR, and I reckon a big B&M dive coaster painted a rusty brown would work a treat. And perhaps to keep guests cool in summer, yet appear more "safe", a splash battle ride around the B&M.

I know it's likely to never happen, but it would be perfect.

What about a Mack dive coaster? The concept's been put out there, it just hasn't been spoken about much.

The Purge, though I hear you can experience that in Logan on a Saturday night for free (sorry, I never hear good things).

In all seriousness, I concur on Mad Max - that would be awesome theming for just about anything not a children's ride.

I liked Van Helsing as a theme at Movie Park Germany, even though the movie blew, plenty of interesting possibilities with that one - they might even be able to get the IP cheap from Universal as it was hardly the franchise they were hoping for.