Media beatup

Ash

11 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

How many of these are breakdowns, and how many e-stops?

[edit - 300th post in 12 years! Yes I was away before it changed to Parkz. Btw what happened to the member who had the bus driver posts?]

Since October...  The only one that has been an actual breakdown was AA I believe...

Congratulations on 300 posts :) 

It's also always fun to play spot the parkz crew when stuff like this gets reported on facebook... :P 

Edited by MaxxTheMonster

11 hours ago, Glubbo said:

Btw what happened to the member who had the bus driver posts?]

You mean @Bussy (aka Wonderbus2003) - he pops his head in every now and again - I think his last visit was quite recent actually - November 3 2016 - to weigh in on the TRRR incident (as he was an operator of Snowy River Rampage at Wonderland)... With him, @Daniel, and even good old shifty @Nightshifter - gee those were the days!

I'm sure after time goes by and probably even after the holiday crowds dissipate the frequency of these events getting reported on will die down. 

I get the AA report, because that was one of the bigger breakdowns and the way they had to get off the ride makes for good imagery, even I liked seeing the images of how it was unfolding. 

However a ride stopping and then getting passengers off is ridiculous, I haven't spent a day at MW where there hasn't been a ride closed. In fact one day SDSC was down, then WWF was and this time I could see the boats stopped, then SDSC again. It happens, it means the system is working as it should. The only way we'll stop seeing these reports is time. 

I'm waiting for them to report on a SE rollback and speculating why DD has been closed for so long. 

^Exactly, something like AA is understandable to report, but it's they way they portray it and the wording they use to make it sound like it's worse than what it is. But I suppose that's what I media does. It is just the reports like RR, WWF and GL that annoy me because they happen daily, so why the need to report on them and scare people. I imagine that it's park guests that see this, and contact the media telling them about it, when they themselves don't realise it's something that occurs often. Those people probably only visit the parks once every year or so, and don't know what them all, while we who visit more often know it happens, and is supposed too. If the rides never broke down or stopped for safety reasons I'd probably be more concerned.

Completely agree with you as the old saying goes 'if it bleeds it leads' ring true. 

These people aren't also theme park enthusiasts, or work in an industry with machinery that has the same protocols built in so they don't understand how it works.

They are only like the GP at the moment, they see a ride stopped and immediately think along the lines of  something bad has happened. Which IMO will only go away after time. 

In fact it seems like the media got the park on a good week in terms of not having more stoppages. But you won't hear them report on things like SDSC or JL because they're indoors and there's nothing to see. Imagine if SDSC was outside and how much footage we'd see of people  walking down from the top of the ride. In fact there's an idea just enclose all their rides ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Gary86 said:

Channel 9 are going to run a story tomorrow night about why the rides keep breaking down all the time, making out parks seem unsafe. :angry:

From what I've been told, it is actually not going to be a report against the parks, but its going to get an explanation for why the rides are breaking down so everyone knows that it is routine. Ofcourse though, some people are going to take it in the wrong way.

• 5 months later...

And at it again...

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/the-tornado-water-ride-at-kings-dominions-soak-city-in-virginia-almost-kills-christina-orebaugh/news-story/4d2b09bebf2398719a7c72175a71858c

"Mr Orebaugh said that while he understands accidents happen, he thought the lifeguards weren’t quick enough to respond during the incident.

“Based on my experience I think it is an unsafe ride,” Mr Orebaugh told WTVR. “Because if it happened to my wife, it could happen to a 12-year-old boy or girl.”

Last year four people were killed when a river rapids ride flipped at Australia’s biggest theme park, Dreamworld.

Cindy Low, Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett and Roozi Araghi died when a raft flipped over and became lodged on the conveyor belt in October last year."

I wouldn't really say this is Media Beatup, it just appears to be how News.com.au reports on things now.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/air-canada-pilot-avoids-what-could-have-been-worst-aviation-disaster-ever-at-san-francisco-airport/news-story/14729411d92bf14ae478d03e4e7697b0

Air traffic control immediately tells the Air Canada pilot not to land. “Air Canada go around,” the tower says.

“In the go-around, Air Canada 759,” the pilot responds.

The pilot of a United Airlines plane on the ground tells the tower meanwhile that “Air Canada flew directly over us.”

“Yeah, I saw that guys,” the tower replies

On July 6, 2013 Asiana Airlines Flight 214 crashed at San Francisco Airport. Three people died in the crash.

This is a story about Air Traffic Control tower doing their job correctly a few days ago, then plants that last sentence in the end.

12 hours ago, Theme Park said:

Naazon Seems that news.com.au learnt this trick of linking the disasters with minor incidents from their recent reporting where they always bring up thunder river rapids when they discuss our theme parks. 

You have to remember we have an interest in theme parks / rides / attractions so things related to that will stand out more. I remember ~3 years ago after the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was shot down, any aircraft incident was reported on and a little note at the end mentioning recent plane crashes. News.com.au has always done this, previously Ride Incidents were the hot topic and it was a proper Media Beatup. Although that has died down now the whole little note thing will pretty much be there for quite a while.