Motocoaster vs. Jet Rescue: What's better & Who's right?

JR because it maintains it's speed more consistently throughout the ride. Other than the restraints & slightly lower launch acceleration, this is mainly where MDMC loses quality as throughout the ride it is doing more decelerating than accelerating (or just even maintaining the 72km/h final launch speed). The deceleration also affects the theme of being in a MotoGP race - Have you ever seen a MotoGP race where the start lights turn green, the grid accelerates away to go through the 1st corner only to let go of the throttle & let gravity take it's course for the rest of the race? Doubt they would even finish 1 lap if that actually happened. 

@Santa07, if they did re-theme MDMC, it should be to a theme where the themed vehicle accelerates and then lets gravity do the rest. I can think of some sort of 'space launch' theme where the launch is to go out into space and then the zero gravity of space does the rest so you can 'take a tour of the Universe' before arriving back at the station to finish your journey through space. That idea would more suit a VR experience though.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added last paragraph about MDMC re-theme.

6 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

I can't believe anyone even tries to defend MDMC for anything. It's a boring ride for thrill seekers and it's a boring ride for families. It really is a steaming pile of crap, even compared to the kiddie coasters we have. Road Runner still puts a smile on my face in the back row.

How is it a boring ride for families? Think you need to tone down the hyperbole. As MickeyD said, it draws consistent queues. The night I went to see The Fire Machine there were kids racing back to re-join the queue.

7 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

I can't believe anyone even tries to defend MDMC for anything. It's a boring ride for thrill seekers and it's a boring ride for families. It really is a steaming pile of crap, even compared to the kiddie coasters we have. Road Runner still puts a smile on my face in the back row.

Are you part of the 'family' demographic? Judging by the birthday on your profile, probably not, so don't speak for a demographic you're not part of. In fact, I think MDMC would be accepted as a much better ride if it was marketed at that audience, a lot of the hate comes from it being marketed as a thrill ride. Yes, it's a very boring ride for thrill seekers and very painful for taller people and I can agree with that, but younger audiences like it.

Edited by Santa07

15 hours ago, MickeyD said:

Of course JR is the better Coaster however maybe with going to crazy extents like extending the MDMC track, add a 2nd launch and replace the restraints we could be looking at a real winner for DW.. but that surely would cost millions.. would the  $$$ be worth it?

I'm a big advocate for MDMC is awful, changing the whole train to sidecar style seats but themed to old low rider bikes would help the ride experience, improve the theme and massively improve capacity, as the capacity of MDMC is pretty piss poor.  Leave the track as is, change the trains, would probably only cost a couple million and then relaunch it as an improved ride.  That's been my opinion for a while and I've posted that before.

I don't think now is the time for it though.  In the current climate Dreamworld would be unlikely to get a return on it, and I think there are simply bigger fish to fry at the park right now.

17 hours ago, Original said:

So it works a family ride and kids love it, sure. But ask those kids do they prefer it over SDSC, Roadrunner and Escape From Madagascar and I'd be interested to hear what they think. 

@westical @Santa07 Perhaps it was some hyperbole, boring was probably the wrong word because small children would probably get some thrills out of it. My point was that it pails in comparison as an experience to other family rides like SDSC, Roadrunner, WWF, Rocky Hollows, etc.

JR hands down, although it is quite similar in terms of coaster type and layout to MDMC, the fact that it is built close to the ground makes the ride feel a lot faster than MDMC does, although they both launch at identical speeds. Also, JR has a second launch, which allows for a more consistent speed throughout the ride, something which MDMC lacks, as it is basically a launch, a curve and then half the speed and momentum is killed off because of a tall hill.

Jet Rescue every day of the week. Its proximity to the ground, tight corners and two launches make for a far more thrilling, consistent ride with a good climax and a decent adrenalin rush.

MDMC on the other hand, has barely any incentive for me to ride it. At DW on Saturday, when all rides were practically walk-on and three of the thrill rides were closed, I still only rode it twice (I rode ToT 4 times, The Claw 5 times, for comparison). It's boring, and a pretty awful coaster in my opinion. Too high off the ground, and the corners aren't tight or banked enough for any real thrills.

Edited by jake_hunt
I said Thursday for some reason. I'm tired.

On 13/01/2017 at 2:19 PM, YLFATEEKS said:

Come on people there must there has to be one person batting for MDMC.  I know it’s early days in this topic but for this ride I’m willing to activate the cone of non-judgment.

I have NO problem with MDMC - I think it's a great ride. I haven't experienced any rides within USA so I suppose I don't have much to compare it too, but I certainly don't think it's a terrible ride. It is just a fun, quick roller coaster ride that doesn't have a long queue. I think it's fun (sorry to be THAT PERSON who enjoys It!) :)

^ I don't know if I'd call it quick... Especially after that first launch. More like a meamble ;) 

I think it comes down to MDMC was a prototype for Intamin and they stuffed up, whether it be becuase of budget constraints or whatever.

They learnt from their mistakes with it and when it came to JR they nailed it. 

Edited by Original

@Original I don't think you can blame it on MDMC on being the first one.   I would blame it on DW’s penny pinching policy.   They brought a family ride and tried to sell it off as a thrill ride.  For a kid first coaster, it’s a great ride.  Something to build up a kid’s confidence. 

1 hour ago, YLFATEEKS said:

@Original I don't think you can blame it on MDMC on being the first one.   I would blame it on DW’s penny pinching policy.   They brought a family ride and tried to sell it off as a thrill ride.  For a kid first coaster, it’s a great ride.  Something to build up a kid’s confidence. 

I think it's probably a combination of both. The rides loses speed almost as soon as it's off the launch, was built too high and has uncomfortable seats. That I put down to being a prototype. Roadrunner & Escape From Madagascar don't lose their speed as they hit the brakes, MDMC does, I think that's a bad design. 

However if DW had a bigger budget Intamin probably could have made the ride with more 'Wow', a second launch I think could have helped greatly. Still doesn't fix the uncomfortable restraints and slow loading process.

Such problems seem to be ironed out by the time they got around to JR.