Movie World Chinese New Year Celebrations 2017

themagician

Preparations for this years Chinese New Year Celebrations for the year of the rooster have begun.

IMG_6101.JPG

IMG_6102.JPG

IMG_6103.JPG

IMG_6104.JPG

I still think they could take these Celebrations further, and make a new night even from it, especially now if Carnivale stays at SW. They could have fire effects, street entertainment, and a parade, but maybe they don't need to do floats, but could have tonnes of the dragons and all the street performers create this final show. It could run throughout February, and really think it be a great event, especially if they also have Chinese food stalls throughout the park.

Edited by themagician

I'm thoroughly in agreeance with that. Many movies feature dancing dragons (see Rush Hour franchise for examples) so it would be a relatively easy tie in - drummers, pyro etc.

I would have liked to have seen the theming updated for the relevant 'year' - in this case Rooster, instead of the generic lanterns and the "stone" lions - but its not currently a separate price for that so its nice that they do anything at all.

Bit of a shame though that they don't do anything for Australia Day...

Worms.jpg

43 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I would have liked to have seen the theming updated for the relevant 'year' - in this case Rooster, instead of the generic lanterns and the "stone" lions - but its not currently a separate price for that so its nice that they do anything at all.

There are some banners throughout the park that do feature the Rooster on them, and on the room they've built on Main Street (As they did last year), it does say 2017, and have a roster on that. (Sorry didn't get photos of them).

43 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Bit of a shame though that they don't do anything for Australia Day...

I do agree, but I think DW could do something good for Australia Day, and now that MW has got all there CNY decorations up, don't think it would look right if they did celebrations for Aus Day. DW could have the flag up, have classic Aus Day competitions and BBQs throughout the park. And play some classic Australian music. Doesn't have to be anything major I don't think, just something would be nice to see.

Edited by themagician
Forgot what year it is

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

but its not currently a separate price for that so its nice that they do anything at all.

Even if it's not separately ticketed event it's still heavily marketed towards Chinese tourists so the effort they currently put in is certainly revenue generating.

As to whether they should or could ramp it up into a standalone night event... would there be enough interest from the target audience; would it fit in with their largely prearranged travel plans? Would locals pay ~$20 or upgrade their pass for the entertainment and food offerings?

Both Brisbane and the Gold Coast have numerous free Chinese New Year events and just about every suburb and town in Australia has a decent Chinese restaurant. It's vastly different from Carnivale and its comparatively obscure/unique entertainment and culinary offerings. 

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

Maybe get Foghorn Leghorn out for photo ops?

Edited by Zanstabar

• 2 weeks later...

I looked over while standing in WB Kids area while little Mr was going on the "Bounce ride" as he calls it and saw Foghorn's head...  By the time I got there they were at the end of the show...  Almost completely tourists watching it and all had smiles and cheering on...  What I assume were locals were just walking past...