Theme Parks in Europe

Santa07

Aha! I can answer BOTH those questions!

Ferrari World - we went when it opened and found it dire. The Formula Rossa (fastest coaster in the world) wasn't working, and back then they didn't publish which rides were/weren't working. It is supposed to have improved since. If you've got a stopover then definitely check it out, but I don't think it's a park that would keep you entertained for long (though this is from our experience, where out of 4 thrill rides at the time, only one was open). There are other parks in the UAE to do (can't recall which but a new one has just opened), and getting to Ferrari World is an hour's drive from Dubai to Yas Island in Abu Dhabi.

PortAventura vs Disneyland Paris... hmm, good question. You say you're already in France. Basically, you should probably know what a Disney park is like. PortAventura is probably more like a mix between Universal and Six Flags, in that they've got nice theming and good, big thrill rides. Can't really help you there as the parks aren't similar enough. Do you want a Disney park, with all that entails (not many big thrill rides, though Aerosmith and SMM2 are pretty mean), or a more extreme park? Both may well have long queues depending on when you go.

On 24 January 2017 at 10:58 AM, Gazza said:

Curious, but what is the cost difference between winter and summer?

Accomodation has been dead cheap in Winter. I'm living like a king.

15 hours ago, Santa07 said:

If you were to pick, PortAventura or Disney Paris?

It's a hard question because they are two very different parks.

What I will say is that Shambhala is one of the best coasters in the world, it's almost worth the price of admission on its own. 

Paris Disney is, well, Disney. It was an immersive and magical experience. The Ratatouille ride has the smell of bread as you go through the kitchen ffs.

I think, being me, that I'd go with PortAventura. Best case scenario is you can experience both though. I reccomend that one.

I've not been to any German parks,but I've heard their very good.  As for the ones I have done:-

1. Disneyland Paris - If you've never done Disney then DLP is worth doing. 2017 is a good year as a lot of the rides were refurbished in 2016 for the 25th anniversary.  Last September, I got a much better deal booking my tickets in advance online.  2 parks for the price of 1 but not available at the gate. The studios park is worth a visit as it has its fair share of thrill rides. And finally, if you're staying in Paris, the RER train takes you straight to the front gate.

2. Alton Towers - Often self described as Europes best theme park, Alton Towers is a must for thrill seekers.  From the Smiler with its record 14 loops to a large selection of white knuckle rides.  Again, book online for a better deal.  I would say to look outside for hotel accommodation as AT is expensive.  Also the park is only open from March-October.

3. Terra Mitica - TM is a fantastic park in Benidorm Spain, themed on ancient lands around the Mediterrainien sea. Open through the summer and weekends during winter.  We got 2 for 1 vouchers from the local McDonalds.  It has a good mix of thrill and family rides and definitely takes a whole day to do.  Only issue might be its halfway down the Spanish east coast.

From memory, the train trip to Disney wasn't that bad, and I'm saying that as a family that had to change lines during the journey. Something to keep in mind is the time of year you're going and if you plan to stay for the fireworks.

In summer the fireworks are very late, and you'd not make it back to Paris until well after midnight. We didn't have much in the way of personal safety concerns until we noticed we were the only ones to disembark and exit the Metro. Fortunately our Airbnb accommodation was a block from the station, and past a late-night café.

Edited by Glubbo

5 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Is it better to stay in Paris or onsite at Disney? The rooms look quite small with limited facilities... but so do everything in Paris it seems. Prices are expensive but specials seem to pull them down to the same price range as other Paris hotels.

5 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Is it better to stay in Paris or onsite at Disney? The rooms look quite small with limited facilities... but so do everything in Paris it seems. Prices are expensive but specials seem to pull them down to the same price range as other Paris hotels.

It depends if you're doing just Disney or doing Paris as well. If you're doing DLP, stay on site. DLP has lots of offers to try and fill the hotels.

We did Paris and DLP so stayed at the ibis at Val Fontenay. The hotel was 50m from the RER A train line which was 20mins from DLP and Arc de Triomphe. Also had a giant Auchan hypermarket next door for supplies. Free breakfast and WiFi and really good value.

7 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Serris and Val d'Europe are right down the road from Disneyland Paris. Can't recall the hotel we stayed at but it was pretty cheap and within walkable distance, and not a Disney hotel. Plus you've got the seriously huge shopping centre there for extra needs, and two train stations (Disney and Val d'Europe) for getting around (you can use the Disney line for CDG and TGV access, and Val d'Europe for RER/Metro to Paris).