Giant Drop E-Stop

Jamberoo Fan

To be fair, I think there is something wrong with the Giant Drop.   I don't believe it's unsafe though (maybe too safe if anything)

I was there on Sunday, the GD was closed about 12pm due to "engineering issues" and they told us to come back later in the day.

After a few hours in the waterpark we came back and it was open.   When we were about to launch the computer said no, the operator was very frustrated and he explained it had been happening all day.  When the engineers came they said something about the ropes not retracting properly?  Not sure exactly.  They did a test run and then let us ride it.  We were at the top longer than normal, maybe a minute or so, but I think they were just checking every thing was fine.   

I've got no concerns about safety but seems there are some issues with the giant drop.  Maybe they rushed the reopening of it.  

To the uninformed lay person, its a cable. Technically it is SWR or Steel Wire Rope, so the explanation makes sense, and an engineer wouldn't usually 'dumb down' the jargon unless they needed to.

I know that several here know this. this is simply stated so those that don't can understand it.

Which face should I have added to say that was a joke?   

16 minutes ago, AlexB said:

To the uninformed lay person, its a cable. Technically it is SWR or Steel Wire Rope, so the explanation makes sense, and an engineer wouldn't usually .

I know that several here know this. this is simply stated so those that don't can understand it.

'dumb down' the jargon (That's technical talk.)

The joke followed by a face (I had no problems riding it before you told me it’s secured with ropes.:rolleyes:)

Not so funny when people don't get it but I did do the face.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

In my observation there's no subtlety in reporting, and as a result the distinction between reliability and safety does not exist in the media.  It would be easy for us to say that some attractions have reliability problems, but we would stop well short of saying they have safety problems - whereas the media would show no distinction.

28 minutes ago, Chubu said:

Why does ToT need an airbag...?

It's pretty obvious..

if the magnetic core in the centre of the earth stops rotating and we have a global loss of gravity, the ride will go up instead of down, so the airbags are there to ensure if this occurs we have a good view while everyone else floats away...

16 hours ago, Chubu said:

Why does ToT need an airbag...?

That was up while the ride was undergoing maintenance. My guess, and it's just that, is that logically you'd put something like that in if you were doing work up in the top levels and were worried about any components coming loose and dropping.