Dreamworld Lego Store - reviews and opinions

Jamberoo Fan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/27/2017 at 1:57 PM, Santa07 said:

How exactly are you meant to be able to get stuff from the top of the pick a brick wall?

The stuff at the top of the wall isn't real, just a photo of bricks for show. Its like that at all Lego stores I have visited.

We went at about 1 pm yesterday, missed most of the line only waited 20 mins opposed to the 2.5 hours people were waiting earlier. Missed out on the free gift too.

I did get the Disney Castle, bit shocked to pay a .7% Credit Card fee, must be a Dreamworld thing? I know it was a licenced store but still was hoping to earn Lego VIP points. Apart from from the Pick A Brick wall there isn't much of an advantage over shopping on the Lego website.

Edited by AlanSmithee

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Does anyone know how much the Sydney Opera house lego set is?

Given the Lego site shows it as a "retired product" it might be a worthy investment for the future. The disney castle was $500 online, didn't see any prices in store though, but didn't look too hard. I'd guess somewhere around $300-400 for the opera house. 

34 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

Given the Lego site shows it as a "retired product" it might be a worthy investment for the future. The disney castle was $500 online, didn't see any prices in store though, but didn't look too hard. I'd guess somewhere around $300-400 for the opera house. 

Opera House sold for $499 as well...  (Brother has one)

Just been to check out the store and thought it was great. I'm not a crazy fan of Lego, but if I have some, I quite happily enjoy building the thing. Was still pretty busy, and some people are going crazy over it. Some people had baskets full of the tubs for the pick a brick wall (Someone had about 10 large tubs worth), and they couldn't scoop the Lego quick enough and it was dropping on the floor. Despite there being a lot in there and people everywhere it didn't feel cramped or uncomfortable which was a positive. Some of the Lego sets were awesome, but couldn't find a price for the opera house set. And if anyone wants the Death Star set, it's only $800.

Plenty of workmen in the new marketplace area, and it looks like it's coming along nicely, from what I saw through the outside door. Also, the sheet behind the fence for the vines to grow up, is there because they are currently upgrading the toilets behind it, and the sheet is just stopping any dust/dirt to blow through. 

IMG_6318.JPG

IMG_6317.JPG

And behind the Jelly Belly store is the store room for all the Lego, and before it took this photo the door was open, and there is a rediculous amount of Lego inside 

IMG_6282.JPG

On 28/01/2017 at 5:20 PM, Brad2912 said:

My first point is do you work for the Bulletin? October was 4 months ago, and the Lego store largely caters to its own market, so why bring up October??!!!!

I seriously doubt that the Lego store will become an alternate entrance to the park. That would require more staffing, and make ongoing crowd control an issue for those just looking to access the store and not DW. This store is as much a separate entity as it is part of DW, so I doubt they'd want to p*** off their customers who are trying to shop with an entry line snaked through the outlet 

No. Unlike the media, I didn't bring it up to antagonise or scare people - that was just how I felt. It was a personal opinion. I knew LEGO is considered one of the world's most powerful brands but I clearly underestimated their brand's power. 

Attendances have been down as we know & a new attraction would have provided a short but noticeable spike on opening day (as expected) but I did not expect LEGO's brand to produce a spike of that size. I was definitely not expecting attendance to be the same or lower than attendances between 10/12/2016 & 27/01/2017 because of the Thunder River Rapids incident. I was expecting less than usual for an opening day (due to Thunder River Rapids incident) but slightly more than usual than attendances post-10/12/2016. 

The Lego Store concept is similar to the Disney Store concept, which arrived in Australia in 1995 & disappeared in 2003. DW, though, currently has the advantage of having the only LEGO Store in Australia. Through research, I found the 1st Disney Store in Australia got 3000 people in it's 1st day of operation - major shopping centres (like Highpoint, where the 1st Disney Store in Australia was located) usually get 25,000 people per day on average in 1995 (so the Disney Store opening day saw a 12% attendance increase) & to me, DW's average attendance post-10/12/2016 is getting more than 3000 people on it's own so I expected only a small but noticeable spike in attendance (400 to 700 extra people approx or a 12% attendance increase) as Disney's & LEGO's brands are pretty much equal in power.

I also was simply just expecting people to turn up like normal (i.e. not until 9am) due to it being a retail outlet that is open until 6pm. We don't see people camping out the night before when new theme park rides/attractions open (someone prove me wrong in September :P) nor queues of that length that last all opening day (and especially for a retail outlet too!).

Despite some considering it 'separate' to DW, to me, it is little different to Whitewater World (as it too has an 'external' entry gate). The only differences are is that LEGO is a powerful licensed brand & entry is free (though you are likely to spend money in-store anyway) and to get through to DW, you need to buy a ticket prior to entering the Store.

In the end, the imagery of those long queues portrays public confidence in DW.

Regarding your latter statement, I wasn't saying that DW would want it as a park entrance on purpose but more as an unintended consequence of having an external entry to the LEGO Store which allows entry to DW. @Jordan M. says they have ticket scanners so it's possible to treat it as an entrance if you are a passholder or if you get your DW ticket before going inside City Hall/Whitewater World. If it became too much of a problem at times, DW would just have to redirect people to ensure they enter via City Hall/Whitewater World if they intend on visiting DW during their LEGO Store visit.

If Ardent Leisure did sell DW in the future, I now really think Merlin Entertainments would be the most likeliest to buy it - as I can now clearly see that the LEGO brand is very very powerful & given they already operate Legoland and Lego Discovery Centres, it would fit their portfolio really well. If DW's brand somehow ends up going beyond repair (which I think is now even more unlikely), they could also easily re-theme the park as Legoland Australia due to the generic theming of DW & the fact that a LEGO Store now operates at the front of the park.

On 28/01/2017 at 7:03 PM, Jordan M. said:

Marketplace also has its own exit and will link into...next to Kodak.

You may be wrong about that...

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Thanks for the well researched reply @Jamberoo Fan. I should have known whatever I wrote would be scientifically analysed for accuracy and a field study completed as to why I'm wrong..

i provided you an opinion, in the moment. That's the way I post here, in the moment.  I don't have enough time in my life to research statistics on the Disney Shop (nor do I think that's relevant). Does that mean I am sometimes wrong, hell yes and I'll own it when I am. 

You have stats for everything, and apparently 80% of stats are made up, so I guess at least you're right 20% of the time... 

Edited by Brad2912

2 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

...<snip>

</snip>

You may be wrong about that...

This has got to be the first post where i stopped reading and tuned out in YEARS. 

Dude - time for some TL:DRs... and thats coming from ME

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

so I guess at least you're right 20% of the time... 

I'll add that to the fridge.

On 1/30/2017 at 6:11 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Snip....snip....snip..... *gets chainsaw* 

How many keyboards do you go through each week typing these long ass posts you make on here? 

Since I'm a reasonably nice guy, I'll try to save you some cash

I did also try to find a place that would offer a massage for your fingers since I'm sure they need a break, but Googling "finger massage Sydney*" just yields a bunch of massages with happy endings, but maybe that's what you need too. 

To be perfectly honest, I can't remember the last time I actually read any of your posts. They're just too long. (That's what she said) 

I thought @AlexB was bad, but far out dude, just ease up. 

*Assumption made that you're in/near Sydney.

Edited by Richard

I don't get what all the fuss is about.  

I (literally) poked my head in on the weekend and it's just a standard lego store you see overseas, such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi.  

They also aren't letting customers in from the park side, so you have to get a stamp out and line up outside.  I couldn't be bothered.  

I know I saw the opera house pack in Dubai last year, and I remember it being a lot cheaper than A$500

8 minutes ago, Jbt81 said:

I (literally) poked my head in on the weekend and it's just a standard lego store you see overseas, such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi.  

They also aren't letting customers in from the park side, so you have to get a stamp out and line up outside.  I couldn't be bothered.

That's the thing though, a lot of us haven't been to Dubai or Abu Dhabi and have never seen a Lego store, or die hard Lego fans haven't had a place like this where they can buy it all.

And yesterday they were letting you enter the store from inside the park, I think on the weekend because it was so busy and there were queues they couldn't just let people in.