Dreamworld Lego Store - reviews and opinions

Jamberoo Fan

12 minutes ago, Jbt81 said:

I don't get what all the fuss is about.  

I (literally) poked my head in on the weekend and it's just a standard lego store you see overseas, such as Dubai and Abu Dhabi.  

They also aren't letting customers in from the park side, so you have to get a stamp out and line up outside.  I couldn't be bothered.  

I know I saw the opera house pack in Dubai last year, and I remember it being a lot cheaper than A$500

Its a product that many people are passionate about. Since you're new and haven't made many posts, I can't really get a sense for products that you're passionate about - but for instance:

• Are you passionate about bull riding, or monster trucks? PBR and Monster Jam regularly sell out stadium tours around the country - yet I have no interest in either - but i can see why others would make such a fuss about them
  • There are several members on here that go nuts for the new Amiibo or whatever they're called. Again - i have no interest, but i see why some people rush to get them, place advanced orders, buy two so they can play with one and keep the other BNIB

And, as @themagician pointed out, there are many people in Australia who won't visit a 'standard lego store in Abu Dhabi or Dubai' - but perhaps your argument is that Disney shouldn't have a lego store in Downtown Disney Anaheim either? because those people could just go to Dubai? I suppose you also think that having a Carl's Jr in Brisbane Airport is pointless, because people could just fly to the US to get it from a standard store?

As for pricing - the Australia tax will always prevail - sure you can get it cheaper in Dubai - but you're paying a lot more to fly there in the first place!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Its a product that many people are passionate about. Since you're new and haven't made many posts, I can't really get a sense for products that you're passionate about - but for instance:

• Are you passionate about bull riding, or monster trucks? PBR and Monster Jam regularly sell out stadium tours around the country - yet I have no interest in either - but i can see why others would make such a fuss about them
  • There are several members on here that go nuts for the new Amiibo or whatever they're called. Again - i have no interest, but i see why some people rush to get them, place advanced orders, buy two so they can play with one and keep the other BNIB

And, as @themagician pointed out, there are many people in Australia who won't visit a 'standard lego store in Abu Dhabi or Dubai' - but perhaps your argument is that Disney shouldn't have a lego store in Downtown Disney Anaheim either? because those people could just go to Dubai? I suppose you also think that having a Carl's Jr in Brisbane Airport is pointless, because people could just fly to the US to get it from a standard store?

As for pricing - the Australia tax will always prevail - sure you can get it cheaper in Dubai - but you're paying a lot more to fly there in the first place!

No, you missed my point entirely.   Of course Lego is a popular product, but it's future lies in being in major shopping centres (eg Bondi Junction, Parramatta, Chermside, Carindale etc).  I don't know why you'd make a special trip to Dreamworld when you can buy everything online.  

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a store at Dreamworld, I just said I don't get all of the hype.  This from a kid who grew up playing lego (do let me know if they start selling vintage 80s space lego)

I'm not a die hard fan of Lego either, but I do enjoy building something if I had a set and loved it as a kid, and I don't get the hype of it either, becaue I'm not an enthusiast of it. But i am an enthusiast of them parks, and that's why I had hype for it, becaue it's something new at a theme park, and they did a great job with it.

4 minutes ago, themagician said:

I'm not a die hard fan of Lego either, but I do enjoy building something if I had a set and loved it as a kid, and I don't get the hype of it either, becaue I'm not an enthusiast of it. But i am an enthusiast of them parks, and that's why I had hype for it, becaue it's something new at a theme park, and they did a great job with it.

Also if you do go to Lego Store in Abu Dhabi, it's at Yas Mall, which is adjacent to Ferrari world.  Two of the best rollercoasters I've ever been on (Forumla Rossa and Flying Aces).  So it might be worth it!

Yeah I'm in the don't get it camp also. 

Its just a shop that sells stuff you can buy anywhere and even online. Sure it's painted yellow and had Lego on the front but to line up for hours?

Bout as mental as lining up all night at the Apple Store. Again just a shop, cept painted white :P

I'd go just to have a look, but wouldn't buy anything - why pay full RRP for sets that you can get cheaper at your local shopping centre? I understand if its an exclusive that can only be bought from Lego stores directly but other than that i'd not be interested. I just went down to my local Big W yesterday and they had 2 Deathstars available for $598 each so why drive to Dreamworld to pay $800??

22 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I should have known whatever I wrote would be scientifically analysed for accuracy and a field study completed as to why I'm wrong..

...apparently 80% of stats are made up, so I guess at least you're right 20% of the time... 

I was not saying you were wrong. I was just trying to explain my train of thought as you compared me to a sensationalising media outlet (see your post below) and well, you asked why I brought October up. It was my opinion too & you didn't respect it - instead assuming I was sensationalising just because I wrote 'especially after the events of last October'. I wrote that last post of mine long because I thought if I wrote it short, the way it read would lead to another comparison to a sensationalising media outlet or me being treated like I'm a troll.

On 28/01/2017 at 5:20 PM, Brad2912 said:

My first point is do you work for the Bulletin? October was 4 months ago, and the Lego store largely caters to its own market, so why bring up October??!!!!

And to develop those statistics, apart from my perception of DW's attendance levels post-11/12/2016, I did use information from DW's re-opening weekend attendance figures, newspaper articles as well as Australian Bureau Of Statistics data to write a reasonable accurate paragraph. Data from 1995 is hard to find plus DW's attendance post-11/12/2016 is still commercial-in-confidence so I had to make reasonable approximations using the sources above to explain my thoughts. The opening day attendance of Australia's 1st Disney Store (3000 people) is the only statistic there that is 100% accurate.

20 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

How many keyboards do you go through each week typing these long ass posts you make on here? 

None.

6 hours ago, Jbt81 said:

I don't know why you'd make a special trip to Dreamworld when you can buy everything online.  

For everything that you cannot do at a normal shopping centre or online:

• See life-size LEGO models
  • Pick bricks off their wall
  • See a LEGO mosaic
  • Engrave a brick
  • Make your own minifigure
  • Buy exclusive products
Edited by Jamberoo Fan

21 hours ago, djrappa said:

Yeah I'm in the don't get it camp also. 

Its just a shop that sells stuff you can buy anywhere and even online. Sure it's painted yellow and had Lego on the front but to line up for hours?

Bout as mental as lining up all night at the Apple Store. Again just a shop, cept painted white :P

Look I get that, I guess the Pick A Brick wall and the engraving is cool - from what I can understand there's a lot of hype because of the people who love it, and you're right, it's like lining up for an Apple product. There's just some real diehard fans out there.

...You know, people who throw rocks in glass houses and all that jazz? :P

My review on the lego store:

It's a great store that will certainly boost DW's popularity (it was probably the busiest place in the park this morning), but as you can expect with lego, it's a very expensive place. Would have loved to come here when I was younger and more of a lego fan.

Plus, I don't know if it's just me, but the place smelled. Sorta chemical-y. Not super strong, but enough to be noticeable throughout the store.

• 2 months later...

Master Builders Unite - FREE LEGO Make and Take Sessions

This April, Australia's first LEGO store is hosting FREE 'Make and Take' sessions for LEGO fans, giving them the opportunity to build side by side with 20 other brick enthusiasts their very own exclusive LEGO platypus to take home. Appropriate for children (aged 5 years and over), sessions may take up to one hour and will be hosted in the LEGO Store on the last two weekends of April. Sessions are at 9am, 10am and 11am on April 22, 23, 29 and 30.

This is a free event for children aged 5+ and must be booked online. Places are limited. Parental supervision of each attendee is required throughout the entire session.

IMG_7521.JPG.2ac1b3aed2a6bda85e4d19b359b26643.JPG