Gold Coast Theme Parks Historical Aerial Imagery

Jamberoo Fan

I just found a website where you can view high-quality historical satellite imagery of the Gold Coast. It is amazing seeing the theme parks in such detail in the past.

Just an idea to 'past the time' until MW's hypercoaster track/support pieces appear, if anyone wants to see something specific of a Gold Coast theme park, just post below and I'll upload one (or the most popular request) each day until then. I'll provide the link to the full website (and thus, the source of the imagery) when the pieces arrive if there was something you wanted to see that had not yet been posted.

To start off, here is Sea World on Tuesday the 10th of July 1973:

SeaWorld1973.thumb.jpg.c0e91d917f8b4d7ad34f2b49d526dfcb.jpg

. I'll provide the link to the full website (and thus, the source of the imagery)

You mean? https://qimagery.information.qld.gov.au/

Whoops? Was that supposed to be a secret or something? It's lucky, normally images should credit the original source anyways.

He'res a few I've found on there:

Logan Wild Waters, which is where Hyperdome is now:

5897239e64c29_1logan2.thumb.jpg.b10ecccbe0cc4ae90c4b0ca9a72d216c.jpg

The Weigand toboggan run that was at Samford grass ski park

1samf.thumb.jpg.6eedb8c391df5568212243b0e02d03fa.jpg

Olympia Water park at Alex headland.

1olympia.jpg.309bc7c61f02676525772d2bc26c5793.jpg

The old terror canyon and river rapids slides, before they were replaced with terror canyon 1 & 2

589723b004a00_1terrorcanyon.thumb.jpg.a05c1aa6d5daab512bece1c74876a61c.jpg

Some small park in Oxley behind Harvey Norman, where the slide tower was standing as recently as 2008. Has a minature railway, slides, go karts, and some sort of animal exhibit?

589723aa80c49_1oxleymaccas.thumb.jpg.6f81094d957d763b99db776ba665a023.jpg

I mean seriously - the site is about sharing what you can. If you know something but can't reveal it fine, but there is no reason why a publicly accessible information source should have been kept under wraps just so you could lord it over people.

Thanks for the contribution @Gazza, it's nice to share.

On 06/02/2017 at 0:09 AM, Gazza said:

You mean? https://qimagery.information.qld.gov.au/

Whoops? Was that supposed to be a secret or something? It's lucky, normally images should credit the original source anyways.

Yes but no, it was not a secret and if you have not noticed, I always provide a source. I did not provide it immediately this time as I wanted quality discussion until the hypercoaster pieces appeared. The '2017 Movie World roller coaster' topic has been a waste of time reading lately so by not providing the link in this topic until the hypercoaster pieces appeared, it would have allowed discussion to focus on 1 aerial image for & at a time instead of everyone searching theme park aerial imagery en-masse and thus, having nothing to discuss as everyone then has already seen the aerial images. If the hypercoaster pieces arrived today, I would have posted the link immediately as I know there would be meaningful discussion on that topic now. The point of these forums is to have meaningful discussion on theme parks and that topic lately has been anything but. All I was trying to do was create meaningful discussion so as not to waste mine or other people's time.

On 05/02/2017 at 10:48 PM, joz said:

Nice find!  It's also a great look ahead to what the park will look like in 2019

Here is another one for you @joz - Viking's Revenge under construction on Friday the 22nd of June 1979:

58989032152c9_VikingsRevengeConstruction.thumb.jpg.0201b9fb9b0c67cac3db732a45ef1f66.jpg

Like I said in my original post, if anyone else has a request, just post it.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

I have a few requests, (and these are made in my capacity as a member of this forum and nothing more):

1. Please stop trying to control the conversation on these boards by withholding information.
  2. Please stop adding polls to every post you create - that's what the reply function is for. Meaningful discussion is better when you aren't asking people to answer several usual questions with a radio button
  3. Please stop reminding everyone that you 'predicted' something that happens by trawling back through your old posts and then linking that post to the current thread just so you can point out you had the right answer. When you post so many different theories, one of them is bound to stick eventually. You're now the butt of a joke (the fridge), not to mention i'm very annoyed you were wrong about the timeline as i've now wasted several sheets of paper, not to mention COLOUR ink and a laminating sheet on a timeline that isn't true. Who's going to buy me an ink refill now? You are this forum's equivalent of a "FIRST!!!!" post.
  4. Please continue to post things that are interesting, and meaningful to our discussion - and I GENUINELY mean that sincerely. The Wonderland link you posted the other day contained video that the folks over at Wonderland History have not seen - and given their absolute dedication to all things Wonderland, it was a complete surprise that they didn't know about it - You do a great job trawling the internet and finding things - like the site above - but then you go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like..."i'll reveal the source later".

Honestly, I know that all that is a lot to ask, so really, i'll be happy if you can do at least 2 of them for me.

Thanks!

Nice to hear about Wonderland History's reaction.

13 hours ago, AlexB said:

Please stop trying to control the conversation on these boards by withholding information.

You do a great job trawling the internet and finding things - like the site above - but then you go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like..."i'll reveal the source later".

Firstly, this was the only time that I haven't posted the source intentionally so stop making a huge drama over it - I was always going to post the source when the hypercoaster pieces arrived anyway. If the '2017 Movie World roller coaster' topic was actually on-topic in the past week or so, I wouldn't have withheld the source temporarily.

Please stop adding polls to every post you create - that's what the reply function is for. Meaningful discussion is better when you aren't asking people to answer several usual questions with a radio button

I don't - only when I think it's a topic suitable for a poll. The number of votes made in a poll I find usually outnumbers the number of posts made on a non-poll topic's first day anyway. If anything, to me, it adds to the discussion and allows everyone to see clearly the opinion of all forum members. I'm not stopping people from replying - if they don't want to add detail comment, that's their choice. A poll also prevents pointless short posts like 'yes' or 'no'.

Please stop reminding everyone that you 'predicted' something that happens by trawling back through your old posts and then linking that post to the current thread just so you can point out you had the right answer. When you post so many different theories, one of them is bound to stick eventually. You're now the butt of a joke (the fridge), not to mention i'm very annoyed you were wrong about the timeline as i've now wasted several sheets of paper, not to mention COLOUR ink and a laminating sheet on a timeline that isn't true. Who's going to buy me an ink refill now? You are this forum's equivalent of a "FIRST!!!!" post.

I only remind people of 'predictions' when firstly, they ask forum members when/what they think something will occur & secondly, when they have clearly forgotten or not yet read already confirmed or very 'educated guessed' information (like, for the latter, when hypercoaster track pieces will be installed). Had I didn't post that guess timetable, imagine how many more times we would have seen posts saying "When will the track be installed?" over the past 4 month period. I only made that guess timetable to prevent that from happening as best as possible. And I haven't pointed out to anyone that my predictions were accurate if they did become accurate.

The linking of old posts is because firstly, to avoid me reposting the whole post and secondly, to provide a link for readers to provide background on my post if they haven't read those posts yet.

I also don't have several theories for 1 future event. I always have 1 theory for each but they will vary over time when new information is released.

The hypercoaster timeline, so far, is still nearly accurate and I clearly said it was only "an indicative guide". The only things confirmed as incorrect are the opening date (this wasn't my guess but based on the overall opinion of the forum at the time of posting), which I updated the timeline for as well as the construction fencing advertising (1 month ahead). Track installation I wrote would start in late-January. It has only been a week since then & forum members have since speculated that track installation is imminent due to the caps on the footings being removed. For an installation period that I'd estimated to last until mid-May, 1 week difference is not that much of a mistake so far & for all I know, the removal of the footing caps could be considered the 'unofficial beginning' of the track installation period too. As for the track/support pieces arriving, which I put as November/December, for all I know, they could have been hidden in the BOH areas of the Entertainment Road property or somewhere completely external to that property.

Also, why consider my guess timeline true when I've clearly said it is a guess based on SE?

Lastly, don't compare me to a "First!!!!" poster - the forum's equivalent to that is someone who makes the first reply to a topic & brags about that fact.

• rappa locked this topic

This thread makes my brain hurt. 

With the source now posted there's no real reason to leave it open. 

If you two want to continue to bicker then take it to PMs cause I'm pretty sure you're the only two reading your posts anyway.