[Wishful Thinking] The Gold Rush Replacement

Reanimated35

I do hope they are planning on keeping the RHLR, beacause despite not being the best log ride in the world, and it would be good if they did a refurb to it or changed the route of it (just something to improve the experience), I do think it's an important ride to have for the park, and many people do still enjoy it.

For the rest of the area, I think they just need to remove the whole river rapids, eureka mountain, old water park and chairlift station and remaining posts, and start fresh for the area. I don't think they need to change the theme of the area, because it is a good one if done right, but a couple new rides would be really good. I'm still thinking a mild mouse coaster, or some sort of coaster with a good thrill leave, but nothing to extreme; and a flat ride (yes another one). A large scale coaster would be good, but don't see it happening yet.

There is also the point that they will be installing a memorial, and does need to be somewhere that isn't overly noisy, which would be a challenge with BuzzSaw and TOT. But I think they need to install one this year, maybe in time for the anniversary of the incident.

Massively wishful thinking and possibly a bit of hate here but I would like to see Eureka Mountain Mine Ride also removed and to install a dark ride something similar to The Mummy at USS (launch indoor) and an inverted outdoor coaster, nothing 'ground breaking' as such but a relatively simple full circuit ride, hopefully able to sustain 2 trains.

Other features would be a family flat ride. RHLR would be good if it could stay as the water really breaks the area up too.

I can't decide if the memorial should be inside the park in the Gold Rush area or if it should be outside the park or even both.

Edited by Naazon

i don't have any sort of cogent idea for the area, but to take on a couple of points mentioned above:

• I don't think sticking with a 'gold rush' theme is in anyone's best interests - the whole area has taken on a bit of a stigma since TRRR, and i feel like they need to take on a different direction.
  • I don't think a 'mummy' themed ride is really fitting (especially since, you know, all the movies in that genre typically involve someone being brought back from the dead)
  • DW have stated it is their intention to build a memorial, but will absolutely defer to the families wishes on that point, and if they do not wish to have the memorial in the park, or at all, it won't happen. I'm fairly certain we'll see some support from them to put it in though, but as for where - hard to say. it would be a little disappointing if someone had to pay admission to pay their respects.

12 minutes ago, AlexB said:

• I don't think a 'mummy' themed ride is really fitting (especially since, you know, all the movies in that genre typically involve someone being brought back from the dead)

Sorry, worded badly.

Not themed to the Mummy but an indoor coaster in that style (slow theme part followed by launch in dark room). Theme would be to literally anything else. If kept to Gold Rush then would be some sort of new mine cart, If themed to a new area it opens a world of possibilities.

Edit: I had USJ earlier I meant USS, apparently its the same as USF but with a few theme updates, which is irrelevant as I'm suggesting a similar ride with different theme.

Edited by Naazon

There is only one correct answer and that would-be mine.

DW has lost its flagship family ride plus its little sister the Log Ride.  These rides leave a big hole in DW line up.   

A smart man would say DW will replace the rides with a new family ride.

I am not a smart man.

This is where we will see DW’s true colours and finally find out if they DW are willing to spend any significant money in the park or is it going to be another MDMC or BS.   If you don’t already know what DW is up against down the road, you need to get off the drugs.

This area is DW prime land and DW needs to treat it that way.

I’m going big here boys and girls and there will no room more anymore spin & spews.

Craig you need to pick up the phone and call Rocky Mountain Constructions.

(This is wishful thinking topic right?)

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Going off a conversation I had with Churro/dipping dots dude the other day (so am not vouching for accuracy here).. DW won't be looking at future water-based rides in the park, as the 'wet' section of the park will be WWW which they really want to push as being an inclusive land/part of DW itself. He said there had been no official word to staff on the future of RHLR the overall belief of staff is it's had it's last ride. 

But hey, we can always hope for an extension to WWW one day and maybe a modern flume ride over that side of the park..

As for the expanse of land that can be reclaimed by removing TRR, RHLR, Blue Lagoon etc.. I'd like to see:

*a signature coaster for the northern boundary of the park - keeping in mind the entertainment precinct/boulevarde running from the Town Centre to a 'planned' additional gate for DW. 

* family dark ride to make use of the majority of the reclaimed from TRR & Eureka mountain

1 hour ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Craig you need to pick up the phone and call Rocky Mountain Constructions.

I second this. Here's your chance to come back better than ever before Dreamworld.

A dark ride would be great too - provided Dreamworld execute it correctly. I'd expect something on the level of JL at the very minimum.

5 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

So, what is everyone's desires and thoughts on a replacement for the Gold Rush area of Dreamworld? 

What stays, what goes, what changes, what gets added? 

The same has what I'd suggested in this pre-existing topic on this.

But also:

• Keep Buzzsaw General Store, Buzzsaw Photos, the Shooting Gallery & Old Time Family Photos (the latter two being relocated).
  • Remove the Skylink Charlift completely.
  • Remove the Eureka Mountain Mine Ride completely unless it can be restored & begin operations again without Thunder River Rapids underneath it. If it can be restored/begin operations again, update the Town Of Gold Rush theming to show that the 'mine' is no longer for sale or that the 'mine' has recommenced operations.
Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added extra sentence in last dot point about updating 'Town Of Gold Rush' theming if 'Eureka Mountain Mine Ride' re-opened.

Thanks @Jamberoo Fan I was about to remind everyone we've spoken about this a few times over the last few months.

However I agree with others in that thread that Vintage Cars in the old TRRR channel would be in terrible taste. That ride site must be completely replaced. I still agree with some early posts from after the tragedy, a lawn or garden for a year or so would be tactful, unless the entire Gold Rush (apart from BS) is removed.

Edited by Glubbo

20 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

So you're wanting to keep the Gold Rush theming for the area?

It does not bother me in the end if they get rid of the current timber town theming or not but I would prefer if the current theme remained and I think keeping it will be fine. It's just a theme and enough of the theming remains to still be considered a 'town'. The Thunder River Rapids site doesn't have to be re-built as a new 'town expansion' - it could be the town's outskirts. Like the suggestion I made to bring the Vintage Cars there, Vintage Cars were made in roughly the same time period & it could be themed to a winding scenic drive outside of the town.

The media did make a misjudgement on some of the theming thinking it was unmaintained buildings but I think you can still theme an area of a theme park to an 1890's timber town without using rusted corrugated iron as part of the theming.

If they stick with the gold mining /goldrush theme which is probably unlikely  I'd love to see an expansion to make the theming flow and better  connect rocky hollow and the giant drop areas more effectively. Expand the rockwork of eureka  over the TRR footprint put a vekoma minetrain or some other thrilling coaster with inversions in the mountain mine setting  perhaps like that mine ride at Dollywood? And expand the town of goldrush "town /colonial mainstreet area" down into the blue lagoon amphitheatre area add a gold rush/western themed restaurant and little more retail with room for a flat ride/dark ride or live show like a bush ranger /stunt show? Just my random thoughts 

most likely though it will just get a total retheme which is sad as the park was all about "Australiana" theming 

TBH I'm not crazy for the 'Australiana' theme anyway. We're in Australia, why so we need a themed area in the park themed to where you are? Just seems a confusing context to me. 

I get Gold Rush theming paying homage to a past era in our history. But that's relevant to the mining era in many countries, not just Australia. It also been done to death as a theme. It's not an overly exciting theme, it's not vibrant, welcoming, there's not much WOW to it as a theme IMO...

I'd rather see something fresh, creative & modern...

24 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

TBH I'm not crazy for the 'Australiana' theme anyway. We're in Australia, why so we need a themed area in the park themed to where you are? Just seems a confusing context to me. 

Tourism

International tourists come here to see Australia, theme it to that and they're happy.

I disagree. 'theme park versions' of Australia don't sell well anymore. the real thing is too easily obtainable and accessible to put on some staged, contrived exaggeration of a performance piece. Take a look at Aussie World (don't get me wrong, i love the park, but the OTT 'Aussie'isms are just cringeworthy)

You want Australiana - Corroboree (and the animal attractions within\surrounding) delivers. everything else is an import anyway.

Gold rush \ old mining town \ old west as a theme is something stapled into most parks around the world. it works. it's easy to do, and its easy to theme rides to it... bit I disagree it isn't overly exciting or welcoming or WOW. One only has to take a look at places like Knott's or Disney to see truly well pulled off themes - and despite an entire world for a single (albeit great) attraction - Wild West Falls area is also something spectacularly and fantastically done - all it needed was a few outlets \ stalls \ carts, and another 2 or so rides and that area would have been spot on.