New Sea World Dolphin Presentation

themagician

Get to know some of the beautiful dolphins that call Sea World home with the new daily, Our World of the Dolphin presentation at Sandy Shores Lagoon.

Learn about these incredible mammals and the environment they call home, as well as Sea World’s ongoing rescue and rehabilitation activities. Conservation, education and research are core values of everything we do at Sea World and we hope together we can actively support and protect the world of the dolphin and their precious ocean home.

Our World of the Dolphin Presentation time: 12.30pm daily at Sandy Shores Lagoon

IMG_6442.JPG.2fdbecde1424b9689b6a91cfc386ab8d.JPG

5 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

no rides = "let's just make the dolphins work harder" 

In the lagoon there's probably not much more they'll have them do except for rolling over and eating fish. Wouldn't make sense to have another dolphin "show" when they've got a proper upwards seating pit for the existing show. 

Who or what is Sandy Shores Lagoon?  

I assume this is an educational presentation at the front of the park where the grass hill is.  If that's what it is I actually think it's a really good idea.  I hope it's a success and they follow it up with an educational show in the Sea Lion Stadium between the 'comedy' shows. (hell you could even merge it with this one and do a combined Dolphin/Sea Lion educational show.

Sea World used to do these types of shows years ago and I don't think it's a bad idea to bring them back, particularly in a climate where Sea World (and Zoos more broadly) are trying to find their role in modern society.  I passionately believe that role is to get people interested in animals, and then to educate people about animals to hopefully grow a passion for animals and conservation.  The way I see it, Affinity gets them interested, this show educates.

As a side note, I hope in this show they are able to get their message out about how they treat the animals, and how they are cared for, because they have a good story to tell and it's such a shame to me that Affinity doesn't really do anything to talk about it.  Actually Affinity doesn't do much to talk about the connection between the trainers and the dolphins at all really.  It's kind of just a 'Let's try and use this word randomly' kind of show.

But yeah good move, I hope it works.

EDIT: One more thing; what's with the name?  The show is called  'Our World of the Dolphin presentation'.  When I read the blurb first time I kind of read it thinking the show was called 'World of the Dolphin' and the rest was just them saying 'come see our 'World of the Dolphin' presentation.  But no, the whole title is 'Our World of the Dolphin presentation'. Just such a needlessly awkward title to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joz said:

I assume this is an educational presentation at the front of the park where the grass hill is. 

Either that, or its just the same educational presentation they put on for Sea World Resort guests in Dolphin Beach at 8.30am every morning. Membership holders were sent invites to attend it late last year on selected dates. Maybe they have now decided to make it a public and more frequent event, especially to help against the activist lashback?   

7 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Either that, or its just the same educational presentation they put on for Sea World Resort guests in Dolphin Beach at 8.30am every morning. Membership holders were sent invites to attend it late last year on selected dates. Maybe they have now decided to make it a public and more frequent event, especially to help against the activist lashback?   

I assume it has more to do with SW having a huge black hole now then and not due to activist.  It’s time we all face it and take Sea World out of the theme park basket and put it into the zoo basket.

Maybe it was Village plan all along to have 1 theme park, 1 water park and 1 zoo on the Gold Coast.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Trying not to be a full pessimist here.  How many people once they see a presentation line back up to see it again?  This presentation does nothing to fill the hole.  How many of you are saying to yourself right now- “I can’t wait to go to SW this weekend to see the presentation. 

What SW need to do is turn the Jet Ski show into a presentation which is what it is anyway when you think about it and add a real show to the lake.

SW have the best asset of any park on the coast and they don’t use it.

^You do make a good point there. Maybe have the JetSki show at lunch, but then have a major show at 4. I think, that despite the Pirate show they had a few years back, not being the best, a stunt show would be great. I'm thinking like Water World, but it doesn't have to be on that type of scale. You could have structures built on the island, and zip lines to the mainland, and create a good story, with fire and water effects. And have those few seats at the bottom where people may get wet. The Waterworld show is the best stunt show I've seen, and bringing something like that back would be great.

2 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Trying not to be a full pessimist here.  How many people once they see a presentation line back up to see it again?  This presentation does nothing to fill the hole.

I agree with this.  I don't think it'll fill the hole in any meaningful way either.  I agree that people with passes will watch it once and that's it.  But what we're talking about here is a show that's on once a day in a venue that can only hold maybe 500 people.  It will help give the perception of there being more to do for one off visitors so that is a good thing.  It's also at a time of day when lines in the park are traditionally long.  Realistically though, it's not a motivator it's a pacifier, and parks need things like this to fill the day out.  I also just think it's an important show that the park should do.  It really isn't going to help the bigger problems the park has (only big new major attractions will do that), but I don't see that being this show's role, and hopefully no one in management sees it like that either.

I'm also with you about the need for an actual show on the main lake.  The problem Sea World have had putting on a show there is that the venue is so big that all the shows they've put on seem really small and under whelming.  If Pirates Unleashed was in a smaller venue it probably would have got a decent reception.  Spongebob parade got a bit closer to hitting the mark, but for a bunch of reasons never quite got there.  Jet Stunt Exteme also goes close, but there isn't much variety to it and it goes for fully 10mins these days.  What they need is a relatively cheap show that uses the whole lake.  Just going to throw it out there as an idea, but actually why not a ski show?  

The thing that was truly impressive about the original ski-show was the pyramid. Previously, they had lake all the way up to the bridge to work with that, meaning they could 'appear' to the grandstand and all be in position by that time. with the land reclamation, they now only have the circular lake, fully in sight of the grandstand to work with - which means those impressive elements that really gave the show the wow factor are no longer possible.

IIRC the ski show used to launch boats THROUGH the island, with pyro and special effects.

anything less, these days, will always be seen as a poor cousin to the original. it reeks of PASS>HWSD all over.

In later years though they started at the maintenance area and just circled around anti clockwise and "built" the pyramid while around the back of the island...  Only remember this due to the day the boat operator moved a little too far forward as they were getting ready on the pier and pulled them all into the water...

And yes...  They did launch a stunt boat over a ramp in the middle of the island...

29 minutes ago, AlexB said:

The thing that was truly impressive about the original ski-show was the pyramid. Previously, they had lake all the way up to the bridge to work with that, meaning they could 'appear' to the grandstand and all be in position by that time. with the land reclamation, they now only have the circular lake, fully in sight of the grandstand to work with - which means those impressive elements that really gave the show the wow factor are no longer possible.

IIRC the ski show used to launch boats THROUGH the island, with pyro and special effects.

anything less, these days, will always be seen as a poor cousin to the original. it reeks of PASS>HWSD all over.

Pretty sure the formation for the pyramid was always done around the back of the Island.  

There used to be all sorts of extra things, remote control boats, novelty shaped boats, jumping a boat over a wall of fire, pyro, all sorts of creative things.  He'll even Waterski Wipeout had the bath on skis.  I think a waterski presentation would suck donkey dick, but as a show with well written comedy and enough unexpected gags they could really do a good show there.  

I think something fun and light hearted would be the way to go too just for what it's worth rather than a big serious Water World type show.

Rodney totally wasn't from Tasmania by the end though right?  I swear he was Tasmanian because homosexuality was still banned in Tasmania until 1997.  At one point during the show after Rodney was just coping all the shit from the Sarg, Rodney kissed him, prompting the response 'I thought that was illegal in Tasmania?'

I was absolutely certain that i've seen the pyramid come from 'up the back' by the bridge, and pass the stage from right to left.

every video i can find on youtube has them coming out from behind the island and passing the opposite way.

I really don't think I imagined it though - although I do see it obviously was done the other way a lot. Surely someone remembers?