'Affinity' Animal Rights Protest

Jamberoo Fan

From The Brisbane Times:

Sea World dolphin show sabotaged by 'Justice for Captives' animal activists

1486779709188.jpg

An onlooker confronts the demonstrators at Sea World. Photo: Supplied

Animal activists have disrupted a dolphin show in front of a packed arena at Sea World in Queensland.

More than 20 demonstrators sabotaged  the presentation shortly after 11.15am (Queensland time) to protest against the Gold Coast theme park's ongoing "exploitation" of dolphins and other marine mammals for "human entertainment".

Armed with placards and banners, the group jostled with security while shouting "there's no excuse for animal abuse" and encouraging families, in attendance, to demand refunds.

But not everyone appeared impressed with the unfolding mayhem. In live video footage streamed via the group's Facebook page, at least one angry onlooker could be seen leaving his seat to confront the protesters.

1486779709188.jpg

The activists unfurl a banner in front of spectators at the dolphin show. Photo: Supplied

Sea World is home to approximately 30 dolphins, all housed in a series of pools and man-made lagoons.

According to its website, the park's feature dolphin presentation "Affinity", which runs twice daily, offers an "unforgettable experience". 

It adds: "Discover the powerful affinity shared between these magical mammals and their human friends, and learn about how we can make a difference together to actively care for the precious life of the oceans."

But according to the Justice for Captives activist group who ambushed this morning's event in front of a sell-out audience of approximately 1000, the park is a "cruel aqua prison" promoting "cruel shows for commercial profit".

"Seaworld lie," claimed group spokeswoman Angela Banovic.

"They tell people they can't release the dolphins because they are rescued and injured.

"But if these dolphins are well enough to perform demeaning tricks for human entertainment and corporate greed, then they are well enough to be released into the wild."

Numerous countries have banned dolphins being confined in captivity including the UK, Switzerland, Hungary, Chile and India.

Fairfax Media is seeking comment from Sea World.

Here is the Facebook Live stream they made of the protest (protest begins at around the 03:20 mark):

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Yeah there are two types of people who like animals.  There are the people who are passionate about animal welfare and become vets, biologists, trainers, park rangers.  There are people who spend a lifetime getting to know animals inside and out and do everything they can to protect them and raise awareness about actual environmental issues.

Then, there are people like this, who make placards and protest what the other lot are doing.

They only make one claim in their article, that because they do 'demeaning tricks' they are healthy enough to be released.  Yeah, fit for release has to do with their survival prospects, not how fast they can swim.  It has to do with life skills and natural instinct. Most of the animals at Sea World were captive born, they have no experience with the wild.  Those that weren't born at Sea World are either rescues (and hot tip, if they think they'll survive in the wild they release them.  That's a parks an wildlife decision too not a Sea World decision) and those that were wild born are now so old that they're past the life expectancy for wild Dolphins.

It's worth noting that not all the dolphins at Sea World are used in shows, in fact the vast majority are not.  Dolphins also when they get older, they do 'retire' from shows and get to live a leisurely life.  Also worth noting is that they arent asked to work harder than wild dolphins who have to hunt their food.  If Sea World had dolphins and didn't get them to exercise in feeding sessions THAT would be cruel.

Finally, doing things for an audience isn't cruel because there is an audience.  You ask your dog to sit at dinner time before you feed them?  It wouldn't be cruel if people payed to watch your dog sit when you asked it now would it?  There's nothing inherently wrong with getting an animal being asked to perform behaviours for a crowd.

So yeah, straight up lies and ignorance what these people are spouting, and they should be ashamed of themselves for their conduct.

I don't want to make any sort of personal commentary on this however I do need to say the like "if they are well enough to be in shows they can be released into the wild" is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. 

It shows these people who claim to have the best interests of these animals as their concern really know little to nothing about them. 

I knew it was only a matter of time.

Hope Sea World are able to take suitably strong action against these scum that it ensures they stay away from the park in future.

Having said this, I do find it strange that such people don't seem to have any real issues with the animals "held in captivity" at such parks as Dreamworld, Paradise Country, Australia Zoo etc.

They also don't seem too bothered about the many other animals "abused" by Sea World. Just singling out Dolphins.

Nor do they protest (at least to any noticeable extent) against people keeping animals "captive" as pets. Think of all those poor "abused" dogs and cats, for example!

I wonder if any of these losers actually have jobs, or even hobbies (apart from that of interrupting harmless family entertainment to draw attention to themselves).

If they genuinely care as much as they claim to about animal welfare, they could start by volunteering with the animal welfare league, RSPCA or similar.

Then again, I very much doubt any decent organisation would accept them!

Edited by pushbutton

I guess the only real valid concern to raise from this is the lack of bag checks at our parks. They managed to get a megaphone in. This could have easily been prevented by a 10 second bag search at the gate. They do it for Fright Nights and it hardly slows the queue at all. Yes, there'd be extra cost in having security there to do it all the time, but what has to happen before that cost is considered appropriate? 

5 hours ago, red dragin said:

I saw the show recently, and my thought was "how amazing are these animals". 

My dog won't do anything he doesn't want to do, I'm sure the dolphins are the same. 

they are dolphins are very intelligent and they won't just do what their asked to do they have to want to do it. the dolphins in the show get very friendly with the trainers and the ones in the show when they are doing these tricks they are actually playing with the trainers and they get a feed out of it as well so win win.

7 hours ago, joz said:

Most of the animals at Sea World were captive born, they have no experience with the wild.

Excuse my ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject, but isn't that an argument for the activists?

Their argument is that these animals are meant to live in the wild no? Obviously they can't really return to the ocean now. But their argument is they (and their parents) never should have been captive in the first place. Regardless of how well they are treated.

What a bunch of deadshits regardless.

26 minutes ago, diesal11 said:

Excuse my ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject, but isn't that an argument for the activists?

Their argument is that these animals are meant to live in the wild no? Obviously they can't really return to the ocean now. But their argument is they (and their parents) never should have been captive in the first place. Regardless of how well they are treated.

What a bunch of deadshits regardless.

Many years ago when David Fleays practices were still being shunned, they could repopulate dolphins as they wished. So if an injured dolphin came in that couldn't be released, it would say and them possibly breed. then this child gets imprinted and then never properly learns to hunt for its food.

On another note, if i was there, i would have Sparta kicked the ever loving shit out of atleast one of them.

Edited by jjuttp