'Affinity' Animal Rights Protest

Jamberoo Fan

Nah, not Orcas. False Killer Whales are different, about the size of a dolphin and grey in colour:

images(184).jpg.f3ce91f88ed6e8a0c08b89a1d5230289.jpg

Our Sea World did actually have one, I can confirm that first hand as I have old photos I took myself somewhere of him (Squirt) performing alongside the dolphins there in their 'Friends of the Sea' show which used to be held in the Sea Lion auditorium. I'll have to see if I can find them and post! 

They also used him as their park mascot for a while, as part of their advertising campaign and he appeared on a lot of their merchandise back in the late 80's, early 90's.

That said, as I mentioned earlier, he was the only one I ever knew of or saw there. No idea about any of the others. 

13 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I didn't even know SW ever had Orcas. Must have been well before my visiting days

Not Orcas like the U.S. have had but false killer whales. Not much bigger than a dolphin.

I remember Squirt in the 80's. Part of the show was to grab a kids hat have Squirt launch it into the air from his blow hole. They would also grab a kid from the crowd and sit them on Squirts back. My sister got to do this.

This old commercial shows a false killer whale right towards the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bh8a2Krxx4

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Right now they are at Dreamworld.

As pointed out earlier, they are at Dreamworld.

From the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (Click the link for a 27 second video of the Dreamworld protest, which was part of the article below):

Dreamworld the third Queensland tourist attraction to be targeted by animal rights group

By Talissa Siganto

Police have been called to a Gold Coast theme park after more than a dozen animal rights activists stood outside to fight against animal captivation — the third popular tourist attraction to be targeted in two days.

Key points

• Justice for Captives group protested outside Dreamworld after halting shows at Sea World yesterday
  • Six people have been arrested and charged with public nuisance
  • The group said they were "making a stand" about the use of animals for entertainment

Several members of the "Justice for Captives" group can be seen in videos posted to social media on the roof of the Dreamworld front entrance wearing animal masks, while others are lined up in front of the gates holding signs.

Messages on the signs read "slaves for selfies" and "captivity is cruel" alongside pictures of tigers in cages.

In a series of posts to their Facebook page, the group said they were "making a stand" to raise awareness about the use of animals for profit under the guise of education and conservation.

"Dreamworld is a zoo disguised as a theme park and houses over 400 animals in very small and unnatural enclosures," the post read.

"Whilst we respect the collection of donations for global wildlife conservation programs, Justice for Captives disagree that animals should be put on display and exploited for photo opportunities and tourism 'experiences' in the process."

Dolphin protest

PHOTO: Animal activists in the water at Sea World's dolphin show on the Gold Coast. (Facebook: Justice For Captives)

There were similar scenes yesterday at Sea World when the same group disrupted a seal performance and two dolphin shows.

The protests continued last night with members running into the arena during a performance of Australian Outback Spectacular, a show featuring horses.

Justice for Captives said they want Dreamworld to stop using tigers and native wildlife for tourists amusement and are calling for a longer-term plan to release and rehabilitate the animals.

Six people from the group were arrested and charged with public nuisance for the two disturbances.

Police said today's protest was peaceful and had not disrupted the theme park's operations.

In a statement, a spokesman for Village Roadshow Theme Parks — which run the Australian Outback Spectacular show — said Saturday night's performance was temporarily paused for the safety of the animals and team members.

A group of activists holding up their fines from police.

PHOTO: The group posted a picture of themselves holding up their infringement notices from police. (Facebook: Justice for Captives)

"While we are aware that some people do not support the idea of animals in human care, we are proud of our passionate team, our world-class facilities and our position as a global community leader in conservation and education," Mitchell Olivey said.

"We welcome constructive and professional dialogue with activist groups in a respectful manner and find the tactics of this group unprofessional and dangerous, not only to themselves but to the animals and guests.

"The welfare and wellbeing of animals is of the highest priority at Australian Outback Spectacular and we employ a full-time veterinary and animal care team."

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Article updated
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, iwerks said:

^Probably didn’t do the water any good.

Not sure if you're poking fun at how unclean these hippies are, or if being serious.

The park invites guests to enter the water during the show (granted, not that deep). Further - guests enter the water much deeper than that in animal experiences all the time. People swim in the ocean too... so not sure a few people entering the water is actually an issue to the water quality and filtration.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Not sure if you're poking fun at how unclean these hippies are, or if being serious.

The park invites guests to enter the water during the show (granted, not that deep). Further - guests enter the water much deeper than that in animal experiences all the time. People swim in the ocean too... so not sure a few people entering the water is actually an issue to the water quality and filtration.

Yeah, not serious in this case. Can’t believe the protesters are complaining about their treatment by security, police and the public. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/ugly-scenes-at-gold-coast-theme-parks-as-protesters-go-to-war-with-families/news-story/8a9d606dd529b2abe075751e18625989

There's a very easy way for them to be certain they'll never be subjected to such treatment. 

STAY AWAY FROM THEME PARKS!!!

(As a bonus, they can deprive the "cruel" parks of a bit of profit by just not paying to enter the parks!)

For the benefit of those suffering from common sense deficiency, I'm not suggesting the protesters should enter the parks without paying. 

Having said that, it would be another offence they could be charged with, so maybe they should. 

Heck. Maybe the protesters should cut holes in the perimeter fences, thereby committing yet another offence. 

Lock the bastards up! Let them protest against their treatment in prison.