Tower of Terror 2 oil spray on face [SOLVED]

willco

Hi guys,

Yearly pass holder, was at dreamworld by myself today. When I was on my last ride of TOT2 for the day I felt what felt like someone spitting or something spray on my face when reentering the tunnel. I didn't think too much of it. When I got back to my car I noticed a lot of black oil down the side of my face. It smelled just like car oil. Is this normal or something I should report?

2 hours ago, willco said:

Hi guys,

Yearly pass holder, was at dreamworld by myself today. When I was on my last ride of TOT2 for the day I felt what felt like someone spitting or something spray on my face when reentering the tunnel. I didn't think too much of it. When I got back to my car I noticed a lot of black oil down the side of my face. It smelled just like car oil. Is this normal or something I should report?

Seems like a bit of an oily situation.

Aside from the really bad pun, this is in no way shape or form normal. Go report this odd occurrence to them. This is probably a case of the ride's hydraulic fluid leaking in some way.

@Brad2912 I used mirrors several times during the day before I arrived at dreamworld and while I was at dreamworld I used restrooms with mirrors. I did not notice it until I hopped back into my car on the way back to Brisbane. It's not from my car, I drive a 2016 vehicle. I remember the feeling of liquid hitting my face, it was an unusual sensation, I thought someone may have thrown up in front of me. I am certain it wasn't already there. I don't know why someone didn't say anything but I was standing with my left face facing the wall of the elevator so perhaps no one saw. I was walking alone with sunglasses on from TOT2 and the only person I interacted with on my way out was a woman in the lego store. She didn't say anything. 

People are assholes? I don't know, I can't explain it. There really wasn't that many people about today, it was quite quiet. 

@Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ it was not mist. It was drips of black oil, when I wiped it with my hand it was clearish but smelled quite strong. I'm surprised I didn't smell it before I saw it actually. 

@red dragin no fog from my memory

@djmcbell Don't worry I love dreamworld and I don't want anything to happen to it. I wouldn't speak to the media if I was approached. I of course am more than happy to pass it on to dreamworld/maintenance just in case. That's what they are there to do. I imagine if it got into my eye it would be quite painful, luckily it didn't. 

5 hours ago, willco said:

Hi guys,

It's fine. The Dreamworld Tower has leaked crap onto me before during film shoots, totally normal, big machines, gearboxes, moving parts, all that jazz, all of which require a mixture of lubricants and oils to operate. Next time just ask first-aid for a baby-wipe, soap won't get it off alone.

For those wanting more detail as to how a drop of oil might travel from say the gearbox at the top of the tower to the bottom of the tunnel, click here for more information.

14 minutes ago, Slick said:

It's fine. The Dreamworld Tower has leaked crap onto me before during film shoots, totally normal, big machines, gearboxes, moving parts, all that jazz, all of which require a mixture of lubricants and oils to operate. Next time just ask first-aid for a baby-wipe, soap won't get it off alone.

For those wanting more detail as to how a drop of oil might travel from say the gearbox at the top of the tower to the bottom of the tunnel, click here for more information.

Film shoots?

but anyway, good to know 

17 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Feel that's a rubbish comment to post without any background or substance to it.

I mean no disrespect @Brad2912

Background - I got my elbow stuck in the small gap between the restraint and 'cage' bit (on the right, front row) while the car was hurtling backward - I think because I wasn't holding on and the force just wedged it there. Cutting a long story short, I waited until the next day and called them to just simply report it. As I said to the guy on the phone, I was more embarrassed than anything but felt I had a duty of care to at least report that that had happened. Anyway he said that they would call me back and no one ever did. 

10 hours ago, willco said:

@djmcbell Don't worry I love dreamworld and I don't want anything to happen to it. I wouldn't speak to the media if I was approached.

@willco You do realise that Parkz is a public forum that the media frequently use as a source of info for theme park articles, right?  

Any issue or news that's posted on here can potentially become the latest article in the Gold Coast Bulletin.

I agree that your story could be very damaging toward their already ailing reputation if it is seen by the wrong pair of eyes. Such incidents I dare say may better off be kept within a private phone call between yourself and the park if you don't want it to be potentially used against them in any way.

The way I see it the original poster posted this story to gauge whether anyone's had it happen to them and if it's a common occurrence. There's no insinuation of wrongdoing. Yes it sounds like something worthwhile to bring up with the park directly but it's also an interesting thing to discuss with other theme park fans.

Anyone is free to come to these forums to discuss interesting, unusual or even concerning things they encounter at theme parks.

The theme park mollycoddling on these forums gets a bit much sometimes. If we're so protective of our precious theme parks that we sacrifice interesting conversation for the sake of things the media might get wind of, then what do we talk about at all?

2 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

@willco You do realise that Parkz is a public forum that the media frequently use as a source of info for theme park articles, right?  

Any issue or news that's posted on here can potentially become the latest article in the Gold Coast Bulletin.

I agree that your story could be very damaging toward their already ailing reputation if it is seen by the wrong pair of eyes. Such incidents I dare say may better off be kept within a private phone call between yourself and the park if you don't want it to be potentially used against them in any way.

That's a nice patronising tone you've got there. I was seeking a bit of feedback as to whether this was something to report to dreamworld or not. I'm not an engineering expert. Besides the Gold Coast Bulletin would not write an article on one singular post on a forum. It's here-say with absolutely no validity to my claims, especially without speaking to me first. 

And let me clarify: I love dreamworld and I hope it recovers, I think it will be fine. I've shown my financial support, that's what matters to a business. Having said that I'm not going to idly stand by and not report an issue if I thought there was one there. I really had no idea if what happened even was an issue, thus the post. 

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

I am slightly perplexed as to why you never mentioned something to a member of staff. Given what the industry is going through these little details would be gratefully appreciated by the engineering team & management..

Read it again, you've missed the entire point of this thread. 

Edited by willco

2 minutes ago, willco said:

Read it again, you've missed the entire point of this thread. 

OK then. Sorry for not reading the information you gave correctly. But you did state a ride had an issue on an enthusiast forum. I did read the thread. 

What I found odd is that you are a yearly pass holder. So I assume you ride the rides at least once a month meaning you would be one of the lucky ones that knows the rides usual operational performance potentially. Was not really have a dig at you or that.

Either way its a slightly concerning thing that occurred.

• Slick locked this topic