Tower of Terror 2 oil spray on face [SOLVED]

willco

28 minutes ago, willco said:

That's a nice patronising tone you've got there. I was seeking a bit of feedback as to whether this was something to report to dreamworld or not. I'm not an engineering expert. Besides the Gold Coast Bulletin would not write an article on one singular post on a forum. It's here-say with absolutely no validity to my claims, especially without speaking to me first. 

Wasn't intending to be patronising by all means. Just found it a little contradicting that you mentioned wanting to keep the issue out of the media's ear, yet made the decision to make a public internet conversation out of something which some may find particularly concerning - keeping in mind that not everyone that reads this forum is a theme park fan who understands how rides work.

Dramatically titling the topic "Tower of Terror II oil spray on face" makes it even worse, and more likely to attract negative attention from unwanted sources. 

The media always finds a way to report about things without any direct correspondence with witnesses, just like when they recently reported about the new coaster track pieces arriving at Movie World as per the photoshopped images which were posted on here days prior. Needless to say they already have enough fuel to do full write-ups about Dreamworld without needing to address a singular issue. They would just add it to what they already have. 

Honestly if I were me, I would have awaited follow-up from Dreamworld before taking to the internet about it. Each to their own though, I guess... 

Edited by Theme Park Girl

10 minutes ago, StingRay said:

OK then. Sorry for not reading the information you gave correctly. But you did state a ride had an issue on an enthusiast forum. I did read the thread. 

What I found odd is that you are a yearly pass holder. So I assume you ride the rides at least once a month meaning you would be one of the lucky ones that knows the rides usual operational performance potentially. Was not really have a dig at you or that.

Either way its a slightly concerning thing that occurred.

I actually bought a yearly pass yesterday, and it was my first visit to Dreamworld in over a decade. I frequently drive past it to and fro work. My job is quite demanding and I often have time off during the week and not when most other people have time off. I went for two reasons, one was to go on the buzzsaw and two was to show my support to a Gold Coast icon and a place of happy childhood memories. The last time I rode the Tower of Terror was when you travelled forwards and you only had a lap restraint. 

5 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Wasn't intending to be patronising by all means. Just found it a little contradicting that you mentioned wanting to keep the issue out of the media's ear, yet made the decision to make a public internet conversation out of something which some may find particularly concerning - keeping in mind that not everyone that reads this forum is a theme park fan who understands how rides work.

The media always finds a way to report about things without any direct correspondence with witnesses, just like when they recently reported about the new coaster track pieces arriving at Movie World as per the photoshopped images which were posted on here days prior. Needless to say they already have enough fuel to do full write-ups about Dreamworld without needing to address a singular issue. They would just add it to what they already have. 

Honestly if I were me, I would have awaited follow-up from Dreamworld before taking to the internet about it. Each to their own though, I guess... 

I had not contacted Dreamworld at the time of posting which I mentioned in the first post you read. If people confirmed that this has happened to them I wouldn't have even bothered. I imagine there would be a lot of people on here whom are not just enthusiasts but work in the industry. I was trying to not only save Dreamworlds time but my own. 

50 minutes ago, Richard said:

The theme park mollycoddling on these forums gets a bit much sometimes. If we're so protective of our precious theme parks that we sacrifice interesting conversation for the sake of things the media might get wind of, then what do we talk about at all?

Has nothing to do with that at all, @Richard. If you think it has anything to do with fandom, then I believe you're mistaken. I'd write the same thing about any similar matter at a non-related venue. 

If something goes wrong at a restaurant (or even suspected to be out of the ordinary) then isn't it more decent to approach the restaurant directly about the situation and allow them to potentially fix it first? As opposed to taking directly to the public internet first with your concerns, and thus potentially tarnishing the reputation of the business before they have even had a chance to address and fix the problem? 

Why should theme parks be any different, especially ones such as Dreamworld who are already suffering from enough negativity? 

Edited by Theme Park Girl

42 minutes ago, Richard said:

The way I see it the original poster posted this story to gauge whether anyone's had it happen to them and if it's a common occurrence. There's no insinuation of wrongdoing. Yes it sounds like something worthwhile to bring up with the park directly but it's also an interesting thing to discuss with other theme park fans.

Anyone is free to come to these forums to discuss interesting, unusual or even concerning things they encounter at theme parks.

The theme park mollycoddling on these forums gets a bit much sometimes. If we're so protective of our precious theme parks that we sacrifice interesting conversation for the sake of things the media might get wind of, then what do we talk about at all?

I appreciate your logical reply and I agree. 

Just now, Theme Park Girl said:

Has nothing to do with that at all. If something goes wrong at a restaurant, isn't it more decent to approach the restaurant about the issue and have them fix the issue? As opposed to taking directly to the public internet first with your concerns? 

Why should theme parks be any different, especially ones such as Dreamworld who are already suffering from enough negativity? 

See Zomato or Tripadvisor 

That's exactly what people do. 

willco. Try not to take offence. Essentially everyone does worry about machines ( Rides are machines ) when they don't do what they should. I get the whole not wanting to waste time, firstly your time and the parks time. But looking at it from both sides of the fence they really do like to know about those things.

Essentially a ride operator drives blind so to speak. A control panel and computer can tell only so much.

I hope the pass gets a decent work out tho and you enjoy riding those great rides.

16 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Dramatically titling the topic "Tower of Terror II oil spray on face" makes it even worse, and more likely to attract negative attention from unwanted sources. 

What you see as dramatic, I see as objective sentence structure - What happened and where. 

5 minutes ago, StingRay said:

willco. Try not to take offence. Essentially everyone does worry about machines ( Rides are machines ) when they don't do what they should. I get the whole not wanting to waste time, firstly your time and the parks time. But looking at it from both sides of the fence they really do like to know about those things.

Essentially a ride operator drives blind so to speak. A control panel and computer can tell only so much.

I hope the pass gets a decent work out tho and you enjoy riding those great rides.

I'm not offended at all. Thanks mate, I will. It was a lot of fun. 

• Slick locked this topic

I'm just going to add that there is a big difference between posting a question on a niche industry forum like this and posting a bad review to a mass public social engagement medium like Trip Advisor or Facebook so the bad restaurant review analogy doesn't sit true for me here.