Luna Park Sydney announce ride expansion

Jobe

Luna Park has hit the press again , but in a far more positive way. Please see the article in today's Telegraph.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/business/luna-park-is-set-to-get-a-20m-facelift-which-includes-six-new-rides-and-refreshed-food-offering/news-story/eab069440697719f9d5526be9529e7d4

It basically details that LPS are set to refresh their ride offering with 6 new rides in a facelift that will tally $20 million dollars and a new , revamped "family zone."

In what I am sure is mis-infomation or poor research on the journalists part, the line " Coney Island will slowly be replaced with more modern attractions as Luna Park owner Brookfield Multiplex splashes the cash." is sure to raise some eyebrows- mine included. I will certainly be sure to get this clarified.

Given the price tag of $20 million and the fact that they are planning on 6 new rides, it would seem that the chances of getting a new coaster are very slim. 

^ beat me to it, haha! Adding to that, it mentions that the first of these 6 rides will be the Flying Carousel, which I assume will be a Zamperla Flying Carousel and I believe will probably be built on the old Flying Saucer site or where the Ranger is now. Speaking of Ranger, has there been any news on it's return, or has Luna Park sold it? 

While change is always welcome and LPS does need change it will be sad to see the Ranger go. As a former ride operator the Ranger was by far the best ride to operate and it was some what challenging also.

I am assuming they want to utilize Maloney's corner as a family friendly section of the park. 

Time will tell what occurs with the park. But good on them also.

WAIT WAIT WAIT.....

Coney Island will slowly be replaced with more modern attractions as Luna Park owner Brookfield Multiplex splashes the cash.

They are getting rid of Coney Island? 

That's impossible, because Coney Island is on the State Heritage Register.

Otherwise, good. Very good progress. Although, and I may be most certainly wrong, LPS still have a teeny tiny chance of getting a coaster, probably something like a Eurofighter. As some of you remember, an old user by the name of Lunaparksydneymodel on this board did claim that the park manager told him of a plan that is quite similar to the one mentioned in this article (this was long before the Hair Raiser waffle too):

I was speaking to the manager last I was down there he said there will be 5 new rides over the next 5 years at the park & plans for a new big dipper as they own the name & residents cant take court action against the park no more cos the park was their before them so they have to get a new big dipper which can be done as they have 13 rides now.

Now, he said 5 rides + 1 coaster which = 6 rides in total. I doubt this is happening anymore as this was years back just after Hair Raiser opened, but it is something to take into consideration.

If LPS want to build a family-friendly area and have a Wave Swinger as the centrepiece, I think it's time's up for Ranger because the Flying Carousel would fit much better in Maloneys corner as opposed to where Flying Saucer used to be. It's sad for people like me who grew up with the ride, but it is said in the article that thrillseekers will benefit from the new rides. Given, the article has said 6 rides, I expect Tumblebug, Ranger, a kid ride

But, despite LPS moving forward, there will be numerous challenges with the park refresh. I won't be surprised if some of the plan gets cut back or cancelled altogether because of a challenge the park has faced for the last twenty years - the snooty rich neighbours that kick and scream at a park that has existed far longer than any of the apartment buildings. That challenge killed off the park's flagship attraction in 1995, and nearly killed off Hair Raiser.

Farewell to the ranger another World Expo 88 legacy ride heading to retirement with the UFO now we only have the breakdance and troika left and the three coasters  that are still operating in overseas parks  it sad but was bound to happen eventually like most machines they all have an expiry date let's hope it gets a new owner who will lovingly restore it 

I can confirm that Coney Island, Wild Mouse and Rotor are not going anywhere with the announced facelift. Although this news is not surprising, it should breathe a huge sigh of relief for lovers of the iconic fun palace.

Also, in regards to the new rides, it appears that there will be a heavy emphasis on theming!

This should give some clues as to how they are going to progress:

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/News/2017/Community-feedback-sought-for-proposed-refurbishments-at-Luna-Park

Really, Really excited for all these plans to come to fruition- this is the most exciting thing to happen to LPS since the 1995 reopening. Unfortunately, still no word OR denial about the much needed second coaster.......fingers crossed!:)

It's nice that LPS continues to survive and do well.  I kinda thought they got it when they started adding temporary rides for Summer season, and adding things as budget permitted.  This is the first thing from them in a while where rather than thinking 'oh good they're treading water' you think 'Oh cool I can't wait to see what they do next!'.  Would love to see what their results have been like, but the success of the small/medium sized parks in Australia does bode well for the future.

Does make Luna Park Melbourne seem like more of a shithole than it already is though.

3 hours ago, Jobe said:

I can confirm that Coney Island, Wild Mouse and Rotor are not going anywhere with the announced facelift. Although this news is not surprising, it should breathe a huge sigh of relief for lovers of the iconic fun palace.

OK, so this probably means the Expo 88 alumni rides from the '95 redevelopment that remain could all be going (Tumblebug, Spider and Ranger). If this is true, I'll be sad they are not at my home park or country anymore, but these rides are fast approaching 30 years of age and it's high time for a refresh. 

Also, the Ten coverage you posted is quite interesting, with unseen footage of Big Dipper and the 1995 redevelopment. It also said that:

Daredevils will finally get thrilling new rides - 11 in all.

Could this hint to further expansion beyond the 6 we've already had confirmed? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

OK, so this probably means the Expo 88 alumni rides from the '95 redevelopment that remain could all be going (Tumblebug, Spider and Ranger). If this is true, I'll be sad they are not at my home park or country anymore, but these rides are fast approaching 30 years of age and it's high time for a refresh. 

Also, the Ten coverage you posted is quite interesting, with unseen footage of Big Dipper and the 1995 redevelopment. It also said that:

Could this hint to further expansion beyond the 6 we've already had confirmed? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your logic serves you pretty well here Yoshi- if we look at the current attractions at LPS we can conclude that:

Rides that will be preserved:

• Wild Mouse
  • Coney Island
  • Ferris Wheel
  • Rotor
  • Carousel
  • Tango Train 
  • Hair Raiser

Rides that could be removed over the next 4 years:

• Ranger
  • Spider
  • Tumblebug
  • Assorted Kids attractions- these could be in the mix for disposal
  • Dodgems- I think these will stay but stranger things have happened
  • Mystery Manor- This was only ever meant to be a temporary attraction but its popularity has seen it extended. I think it will make way for newer purpose built attractions, however.

The question begs to be asked is where will these attractions be placed?

It obviously points to a much needed rationalisation of Maloney's Corner, whilst also utilising the Tumblebug and Flying Saucer spaces.

Have not had confirmed whether the expansion is for 6 rides or 11 as has been reported by some media outlets. Thinking that this is an erroneous error and that it is more likely to be 6 than 11 new rides. Hoping for 11 but 6 seems more realistic to me.

Can we start thinking that a new coaster is on the way? It is definitely  possible but I somehow think it is unlikely. I certainly still hold out hope for a new signature coaster but the price tag of $20 million for 6 new rides has me thinking otherwise. It does not leave a lot for a new coaster, once all other theming and ancillary redevelopment is taken into account.

9 hours ago, Jobe said:

Can we start thinking that a new coaster is on the way? It is definitely  possible but I somehow think it is unlikely. I certainly still hold out hope for a new signature coaster but the price tag of $20 million for 6 new rides has me thinking otherwise. It does not leave a lot for a new coaster, once all other theming and ancillary redevelopment is taken into account.

Well, let's just say its $1-1.5m for each ride (6 in total). The stuff in the DA LPS sent out for approval should cost no less than $3m. That leaves about 9-12m for the park to spend on something else. It would be even more if LPS were indeed looking at a coaster and counting it in the 6. Either that, or the park will be building a lot more infrastructure.

Luna Park has needed some new rides and a flesh feel to the place for a while. 20 million tho wont go that far honestly. Not with the food outlets getting upgrades ect. I think they will get new flat rides personally. I would not be surprised if they buy some of the flat rides that have been in the park before. Power surge ( not the Joylands one but a similar model ) and maybe some of the smaller flat rides that can have high capacity.

Only the Ferris wheel, carousel, Tango train & Coney island have high capacity. The rest of the parks rides do not really allow for such a high capacity. As for a roller coaster as much as one would be brilliant it wont happen. Its the reason the big dipper killed the park all those years ago. I could see some sort of VR version tho of the big dipper occurring. 

1 minute ago, StingRay said:

As for a roller coaster as much as one would be brilliant it wont happen. Its the reason the big dipper killed the park all those years ago. I could see some sort of VR version tho of the big dipper occurring. 

Well, while it is true the park was killed off because of the cyclone's noise problems, the park is now legally protected from neighbour complaints. As long as they have a DA, LPS can now build a coaster without fear of a legal challenge from the neighbours. Although that poses a question; "Where is LPS going to fit a coaster?". We won't get something Hot Wheels-size again, but something from a second-tier manufacturer like Gerstlauer, S&S or even Mack would do fine. If LPS were spending more money, I could even say they wood be considering something from GCI, but that's far out of their reach.

Maybe, I don't know. I do know however they have noise levels that still get monitored to this day. Any ride at LPS that has music playing can only be played at a particular volume. The sound issues are worse at Maloneys corner because nothing reduces the noise as in buildings ect.

So for that reason I cant even see a small coaster being installed. The noise even from the wild mouse on a moderately busy day is astonishingly loud. No one complains about the tumble bug because its in front of office buildings and its not that noisy. The UFO was noisy when decelerating and rarely caused an issue.

id love to see a Mack or a S&S. But it just wont I believe fit into the character of the park. Plus the owners would be nervous after the whole hair raiser debacle too I would think.

But we all have been proven wrong with this industry many times before.

I can definitely see a second compact coaster being added to LPS- there are numerous examples that would work.

Think Zamperla, Maurer ,Gerslauter, S & S,- they all have coasters that would be a good fit for LPS.

Ride noise is still monitored true but as long as a ride complies with the standard, then LPS is protected by legislation aganst such harassment and legal challenges.

If the Wild Mouse can operate to the required level , then there is no reason that a new compact could not do the same. 

The only 2 spots that could really accommodate a new coaster is on the Tumblebug space or in Maloney's Corner. LPS has successfully run Pirate's Revenge Flume ride there a number of times and I see no impediment to them placing a new compact coaster in this area. A Gerslauter compact similar to Iron Shark/Krater or a spinner of some type would be the best that we could hope for  in LPS, IMHO. One of these would be ideal!! ( Brad Loxley I hope you reading this!!!) Image result for iron shark

Image result for Krater roller coaster

Related image

Image result for maurer sohne spinning coaster

As for their new rides- I think we are in for some surprises. There have been definite hints as to a dark ride based on something similar to Justice League, which would be an excellent addition to the park.

Given that the first ride announced is a Flying Carousel , most probably from Zamperla,it could be that several more examples of Zamperla's catalogue could make an appearance.

Image result for flying carousel

What flat rides do you see would make the best choice for LPS? Especially given we know the approximate budget?

Personally I would love to see some sort of pendulum swing ride, and a  Disko or Disko Coaster.

I would also love for LPS ( or any Australian park for that matter) to get a Larson Flying Scooters ride- they have such an old world feel and charm, would fit in perfectly with LPS's aesthetic, plus its a unique ride for the Australian market

Thoughts and discussion?

Image result for flying scooters ride

If we we're to see a coaster go into Luna Park, I'd love to see a Mack Big Dipper. It's pretty much Mack's version of a Eurofighter and seems to pack a punch judging by video's I've seen. You would be able to have a great custom layout where Tumblebug now resides and the name is already pretty much sorted!

o7q8o80.png16gwmtl.jpg

I would also love to see an HUSS Enterprise 2GH, it's a retake on the classic Enterprise and has suspended seating. I believe Luna Park also had an Enterprise in the 80's (please correct me if I'm wrong).

enterprise-news4.thumb.jpg.125a8155c3854f1826629c2f7799f37a.jpg

Edited by Wil_i_am_not

On 3/11/2017 at 9:55 PM, Wil_i_am_not said:

I believe Luna Park also had an Enterprise in the 80's (please correct me if I'm wrong).

LPS had an enterprise until just a few years ago. It was on the concrete pad that is almost opposite the Ferris wheel above the food outlet. Ride operate had a great view of the harbour from here. Seeing a newer model would be nice in fact. It would be similar to what they did with the tango train.

I'd love to see a compact coaster I really would. But I don't know how they could make a coaster like that fit into the charm of the place. Wild Mouse doesn't even need to try and fit in, it just does. I know its been talked about many times but remember the concrete pad that tumble bug sits on is not that big. I would be nice to have a coaster start here as the last two started from almost this same point. But I just don't see it happening.

I cant even see it happening in Maloney's corner purely because I believe this will become the new family area of the park. Its all interesting and intriguing. I hope the park does not become over crowded with rides tho. It really needs to keep its charm. I know Brad will make the right choices like he always does. 

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

LPS had an enterprise until just a few years ago. It was on the concrete pad that is almost opposite the Ferris wheel above the food outlet. Ride operate had a great view of the harbour from here. Seeing a newer model would be nice in fact. It would be similar to what they did with the tango train.

I'd love to see a compact coaster I really would. But I don't know how they could make a coaster like that fit into the charm of the place. Wild Mouse doesn't even need to try and fit in, it just does. I know its been talked about many times but remember the concrete pad that tumble bug sits on is not that big. I would be nice to have a coaster start here as the last two started from almost this same point. But I just don't see it happening.

I cant even see it happening in Maloney's corner purely because I believe this will become the new family area of the park. Its all interesting and intriguing. I hope the park does not become over crowded with rides tho. It really needs to keep its charm. I know Brad will make the right choices like he always does. 

Hi @StingRay, the ride you are referring to was the Flying Saucer- a HUSS UFO. They were a natural progression from the Enterprise ride and were both from the same manufacturer- HUSS. The UFO is a much rarer ride and there are less that 10 surviving examples in the world today. LPS had an Enterprise as part of their 1982 overhaul and it was removed in the early '90's.

The coasters we have cited as examples are comparable in size to the Wild Mouse- albeit some may be a BIT bigger. The Tumblebug space is roughly the same size as the Wild Mouse space and there is space behind it next to the cliff wall for overhang etc if required. Alternatively, the space directly parallel to Coney Island would also be ideal. This would then leave the space where Spider currently resides for a possible family area.

I have always thought that the space on top of the carpark roof which is currently a green area would be perfect for a family area. It could accommodate several family rides easily and would just require access from below in the form of a ramp etc.

You are 100% right in trusting in Brad. He has done an excellent  job so far in his years at LPS and he perfectly understands the charm and heritage that LPS has to offer. I am sure that what is added will only enhance and build on this strength.

Exciting times for LPS!

9 minutes ago, Jobe said:

Hi @StingRay, the ride you are referring to was the Flying Saucer- a HUSS UFO. They were a natural progression from the Enterprise ride and were both from the same manufacturer- HUSS. The UFO is a much rarer ride and there are less that 10 surviving examples in the world today. LPS had an Enterprise as part of their 1982 overhaul and it was removed in the early '90's.

The coasters we have cited as examples are comparable in size to the Wild Mouse- albeit some may be a BIT bigger. The Tumblebug space is roughly the same size as the Wild Mouse space and there is space behind it next to the cliff wall for overhang etc if required. Alternatively, the space directly parallel to Coney Island would also be ideal. This would then leave the space where Spider currently resides for a possible family area.

I have always thought that the space on top of the carpark roof which is currently a green area would be perfect for a family area. It could accommodate several family rides easily and would just require access from below in the form of a ramp etc.

@Jobe, firstly thanks for the correction on the HUSS UFO. While the coasters are of the same size almost the Tumble bug area is a little smaller than fellow roof top across the midway. You are right tho, they could utilise some of the overhang but underneath the tumble bug is the maintenance facility. Well it was some years ago unless it has been relocated.

Maloneys corner would be a nice place to put a small compact coaster but I do see them turning it into a children's oasis. Much like all other theme parks do. Yes it currently almost if but it does lack the charm, not that the kids seem to mind. As a parent I like to see my child immerse themselves in their environment much like I like to do. 

I suppose as enthusiast we just have to sit and wait for announcements.

After hearing about the excellent news that Luna Park is planning to spend $20 million in capex on new rides and upgrades to the park, I finally decided to get down there to see how the place is going. I hadn't visited the park in years and since my last trip the Hair Raiser has been added and Tango Train replaced with the new version. I could create a new trip report but I really feel like this is all related to the improvements that have been announced, so I'll keep it here. I also only went on two attractions - Hair Raiser and Mystery Manor. The rest of the time I was just walking around observing.

My initial reaction is that the current management now sincerely cares about the amusement park part of the business. It is evident from the moment you walk in with classic carnival music playing and lots of homages to the old 1930's Luna Park characters around the place. This is a big improvement from when the park first re-opened in its current incarnation in 2004.

The new Tango Train looks a treat. It is such a big upgrade to the old one, certainly in terms of aesthetics. The old-style amusement park detail is great; it has now become part of Luna Park Sydney and branded as such, rather than just a generic travelling ride plonked at the park. It actually looks PERMANENT. The colours and artwork are terrific, and the lighting show at night is a spectacle. It has a new queuing system that starts from the original queue entry but now wraps around behind the ride and to the other side. There is a new holding bay for getting the next riders scanned and measured up before they ride, cleverly designed to increase capacity. It also has automatic gates linked to each ride cycle! One of the things that really impressed me was that all of the walls of the backstage ancillary buildings that are now exposed as a result of the new queue path have been dressed up and painted to match the theme. It adds to the atmosphere. No detail has been spared. The starry ceiling covering the ride itself is particularly impressive and the tunnel section is now covered with stars that actually light up at night, instead of a blank canvas wall. One of my disappointments as a kid going on these Musik Express-style rides was that the tunnel section never had anything interesting in it. Well, now it does.

The Hair Raiser is, in my opinion, the perfect new-ish addition to the park. It fits well in the small space next to the ice cream shop and adds an entirely new experience to the park that sets it apart from the other flat rides. It just makes so much sense. Also, what better way to make the most of LPS's incredible location on Sydney Harbour? I was slightly worried the ride itself would be a bit rough as that is what I had heard from some other reports. I also thought it wouldn't live up to the more major Intamin-style rides as obviously it is from a second tier manufacturer. Happy to report I was wrong and that the ride experience was excellent. I had the best seat looking out to the harbour and not only was the view great, it also made the journey up to the top more terrifying. I felt so exposed. The drop was intense but I didn't find it rough at all. A really great ride that exceeded my expectations.

I had seen lots of great reviews of Mystery Manor but couldn't imagine how such a small and temporary-ish attraction could possibly work. In fact it did work and I was scared s***less. From the moment I walked in to the foyer area I felt very uneasy. The butler character on the day was top notch and really helped to set the scene. I won't give too much away but the theming, atmosphere and effects well surpassed my expectations. They managed to fit multiple scenes (or 'rooms' in the house) into just three shipping containers. I wanted to take in all of the theming detail as I walked through but I was constantly watching out for the next scare. There were also some visual effects used that surprised me in how advanced they were, and really helped to create a great atmosphere. Every person that came out of the attraction had a reaction. This is no lame ghost train at the Easter Show. I hope they keep it in place for even longer or do something similar, it really does add something to LPS.

There are plenty of other smaller improvements around the park. Things like the refurbishment of the Big Dipper facade and the addition of a proper viewing area for Coney Island for those that don't want to participate. I am very pleased to read from the link posted by Jobe earlier in this thread that the areas of the park that look like they need a bit of work -- the crumbling lighthouse and the very basic facade around the base of the mouse (great painting but very 2D) -- are all about to get some significant work carried out to them. These upgrades look like they will be right on the money.

And finally, in relation to the $20 million capex announced, after everything I have seen I am now extremely confident that the cash will be directed to the right areas. No doubt Maloney's Corner deserves to be a big recipient of that money. It has always just been a car park for rides. They have made some recent improvements to fences, umbrellas and ride operator shelters to make the area more appealing. But there is so much more that needs to be done. I have great faith in the current management who clearly know what they are doing and are committed to the amusement park. This makes such a change from earlier concerns that the bosses were only interested in the functions side of the business, with the fun park forced on them. They should definitely be applauded for this upcoming big investment and I'm sure it will pay off. I have a feeling it is going to be the type of park that I might actually want to visit reasonably often, and the sort of place I'd be happy to take an international visitor.

Edited by GoGoBoy

Great post @GoGoBoy.

Absolutely agree- LPS has so much potential. Its major advantage is its location- honestly what amusement park in the world can boast such a magnificent backdrop? Its unique!

I too also have a lot of hope that this $20 million investment will be just the thing that LPS needs to make it a real player in the industry again. 6 new rides plus the improvements announced is just what the Doctor ordered. A refresh of the ride and attraction line up will see people and families continue to pass through its famous face. This is the refresh that it needed to have. I certainly hope that the reality will match the expectations.B)

LPS is  important to the fabric of Sydney. It NEEDS to be in existence. Not only for its historical heritage but its intrinsic value to the people of Sydney as an icon to the rest of the nation and indeed the world!! Who doesnt love getting a selfie under that smiling face with all lights on?

Looking forward to getting more info as we get closer to announcements and work progression.

Fingers crossed that a 2nd coaster, the ONE thing that LPS really needs, comes to fruition with this investment. There is still hope people!! :D

• 3 months later...

Hi all just to add a small update on happenings at Luna Park Sydney.

Due to the sensitive location of the park and the strict heritage requirements surrounding it, the planning process for the new investment is quite lengthy and time consuming.

That being said, the first new ride, a Wave Swinger,
is scheduled to open in March next year. It is currently being built in Europe ( most probably by Zamperla) and will be a 64 seat version ( including 8 double seats) It will have the highest capacity of any Wave Swinger in Australia. Its colour scheme and theming is being designed to match the new building theme's throughout the park and it will help establish and enhance the classic LPS feel and aesthetic. I am not certain, but the obvious spot for the new ride would be on the Flying saucer site, to match this section's new look when it is completed:

5965e14cbb3c2_LPSLighthouse.thumb.JPG.9295b2bc88be64fa8826124793b06311.JPG

5965e18249e22_LPSBuildingworks.thumb.JPG.306f731321b407d657ec593e297f9313.JPG

In  other news, the Moon Ranger has roared back into life and has reopened, Its not certain if the ride is till on the open market ( I think this would still be the case) but it is certainly one of the rides earmarked for replacement with the new investment.

Works should start on the new theming and buildings by the end of the year. 

15 hours ago, Jobe said:

In  other news, the Moon Ranger has roared back into life and has reopened, Its not certain if the ride is till on the open market ( I think this would still be the case) but it is certainly one of the rides earmarked for replacement with the new investment.

Works should start on the new theming and buildings by the end of the year. 

Having visited the park last Sunday, it's a shame to see the work that was done on the classic HUSS RANGER has in no way given the ride any sort of longevity. Apparently extensive work had to be done on the restraints, which has happened, but in doing that the two middle rows of the boat have had all of their restraints removed. When guests went to sit in those seats, the terribly slow and unqualified ride operator replied with "don't sit there, theyre broken"

The ride was meant to go to a showman here in Australia, but LPS messed them around which is a shame. Would love to see it back on the showgrounds, at least it would get the proper care needed.