Dreamworld Log Ride reopening 2017

Reanimated35

• 4 weeks later...

Relative to more than this topic but figured it will go fine here.

DREAMWORLD has unveiled a multimillion-dollar revamp poised to win back the hearts and minds of visitors in the wake of last year’s Thunder River Rapids tragedy. 

It is almost eight months since four people died at the Gold Coast theme park, which has now announced a host of new attractions and upgrades to bring people back.

A $7.5 million redevelopment of the award-winning Tiger Island has just been completed, while two rides shut since the horrific accident are set to reopen.

New dining and retail experiences have been added, while the park will also host a number of after-dark parties, festivals and concerts.

Park attendances plummeted in the wake of the disaster, with Dreamworld shut for almost two months and crowds are still well down, despite a resurgence in the latest figures released by parent company Ardent Leisure.

However, speaking to the media on Friday CEO Craig Davidson said the new investment showed Dreamworld was here to stay.

“We’re not going anywhere,” he said.

“It’s slow and steady (but) we feel that we’re on the road to recovery.

“We are seeing a steady improvement and we realise that this takes time but the best that we can do is to continually reinvest in the park and new experiences in a respectful manner.”

May saw a significant improvement in visitor numbers and revenue from March and April, but it was still well down on the same period 12 months ago, according to data released by Ardent Leisure on Friday.

Tiger Island now features an interactive ‘up close’ viewing experience where people can watch the animals from just millimetres away through glass walls or even smell their breath through special windows.

The popular log ride and model car ride, both closed since the October disaster, are also poised to reopen after exhaustive safety inspections.

At sister park WhiteWater World, a new eco-friendly energy system will allow slides and rides to be heated to 26 degrees through winter, while families can also rent out new double-storey tree house cabanas.

New restaurants, cafes and shopping options have also been added.

A coronial investigation in to the deaths of Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett, Roozi Araghi and Cindy Low remains ongoing with an inquest expected to be held in the coming months.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/dreamworld-unveils-revamp-in-wake-of-thunder-river-rapids-tragedy/news-story/ca2c2ec6be2efdfcadfc398cfc49bc5f

Edited by Brad2912

I think DW's priorities before building any new rides should be to open all their attractions that are closed while giving them love. IE Vintage Cars, RHLR and Wipeout. Then they need to demolish all traces of TRRR, Eureka, blue lagoon and the amphitheatre, level the site and start fresh. (They can keep the eureka building or even the amphitheatre but they need to do something with that area.) But I think focusing on opening the existing attractions at the park should be priority number 1 and making sure the park looks well looked after.

So is the delay on the demolition of the TRRR because of the ongoing coronial investigation? Just thinking they may not be allowed to demolish it until the investigation is completed? At least the section of the ride where the incident occurred.

Good to see the rebuild phase still forging forward and restoring the public's faith in the park, although that may still take some time, but at least there is solidarity in the future vision of the management team.

Would be a shame if the log ride was closed permanently, so good to see they are getting closer to reopening the ride. Having said that, if it did close, it would open the opportunity for something new and fresh to be brought in.

31 minutes ago, yaark said:

So is the delay on the demolition of the TRRR because of the ongoing coronial investigation? Just thinking they may not be allowed to demolish it until the investigation is completed? At least the section of the ride where the incident occurred.

DW at this point are pretty much just waiting for a construction company to pick up the contract and begin works.

Hang on I thought the point of going backwards was not seeing where you are going, in which case being in another row doesn't matter.

Do people only like the backwards drops on Scooby and WWF if they get the front row?

Or on Buzzsaw, or Boomerangs?

2 hours ago, Ryno said:

Anyone ridden this ride "Mystery Mine" at Dollywood. Looks pretty cool but pretty expensive at around $20m US and that was a few years back. Eureka on steroids. What an inclusion this would be at DW.

20_144.jpg

Yes, I have actually. The coaster portion is actually very similar in terms of elements and feel to Green Lantern at MW, but it is the theming which made it cool, including a vertical lift towards a roof of flames...Reignited memories of Bermuda.

The coaster itself was a 6/10, but the overall package probably made it a 7.5/10

The posted article makes it sounds like Dreamworld are poised to invest heavily in new attractions, yet when it gets down to the details, they are really just talking about the new shops and 'experiences' that have mostly already opened. So nothing new announced, apart from the re-opening of log ride, which is definitely a positive. I have to admit I was totally wrong about the log ride -- I made fun of people on here for suggesting it would re-open when all signs pointed to it being shut for good. Happy to eat my words!

I do hope the slight resurgence of park visitors in May is a sign of things to come. But Ardent are going to have to do much more to get numbers back to where they were before. It will definitely take significant investment, but if they commit to it I think it will be worth it. The new coaster at MW will be a big boost to the GC and will help to reignite interest in the parks, so DW will undoubtedly feel the flow-on effects. I've come to realise the parks all benefit from each other being around, so let's hope they all stay strong.

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

A retheme or new trains won't fix Motocoaster. 

New trains may make it more comfortable for those who find it uncomfortable, but what let's motocoaster down is its lack of speed outside the first corner, and its height which diminishes any feeling of speed. 

There's no way to make motocoaster a thrilling ride without removing/retracking it, however a bit of solid theming or new trains would improve it greatly. Fix the parts of the ride that need fixing, then marketing it as a family coaster would make perfect sense, as a family coaster there's really not much wrong with the ride.