Parkz Competition: Design the Movie World hypercoaster!

Richard

With the complete placement of the roller coaster's footings now visible on satellite imagery (thanks @themagician) we have a basic idea of the coaster's approximate layout.

The competition here is to use this satellite image to design what you think the coaster layout will be.

Use this image to design your layout.

Prize

The winner will receive their choice of any t-shirts from our range in stock, subject to size and design availability. Includes free postage within Australia.

Rules

• Entries are open from now until when vertical construction commences. Once we have confirmation that supports and track are going up no more entries will be accepted.
  • Your layout must be drawn onto the satellite image provided in this topic. No other images will be accepted.
  • Do not crop, rotate or otherwise alter the original image. You can resize it if needed but please submit your entry at a resolution no less than 1000x578px.
  • You can make multiple revisions and submissions but only your most recent will be judged.
  • In the event that two different members submit identical or substantively close entries we will only judge the first.
  • Winners will be judged once the track layout is completed and satellite footage of the finished track is available.
  • Entry is open to all Parkz members.
  • If you have inside knowledge obviously be aware of your contractual obligations and remember what the prize is. Do you really want to be the person that cheated for a $30 t-shirt?

We recommend you get in early as vertical construction is likely to commence in the near future!

Design suggestions

• Sketch in MS Paint, Photoshop or whatever other tool you are comfortable with.
  • Above all keep it simple and clear.
  • The layout should be a top-down 2D representation of the track. Don't show any vertical elevation or 3D projections.
  • Portray your track layout with a single, clear, bold line in a colour that stands out from the satellite photo's colours.
  • You do not need to mark support columns, station design or other elements.
  • If you are circling and/or labeling elements, do so in a different contrasting colour to the main track layout.
  • Use small arrows in a different colour to aide in showing the track direction, particularly where track overlaps. Use sparingly though.
  • Everything you wish to say about your design should be included in the image; don't design it so it requires an accompanying post to describe or explain it.

Judging

The entries will be judged by the team of Parkz Community Leaders based on a number of criteria:

• Accuracy. How closely the layout matches the line of the track. At the same time we're not necessarily looking for pinpoint accuracy but rather a design that reasonably portrays the finished layout.
  • Elements. Correct placement and labeling of key and unique ride elements such as station, lift hill, first drop, inversions, overbanked turns, brakes or any other elements. You don't need to label each and every drop, hill or turn but rather key features.
  • We will be judging based on the images on their own without any outside explanation or description.
  • Theme, colour and other elements of the experience wont be judged.
  • We're not judging graphic design skills. Simply ensure your image is clear, concise and well labelled without being overly complicated or cluttered.

Entries must be uploaded/attached to a post in this topic to be considered. Judging is final and entirely at the discretion of the Parkz Community Leaders.

Example

Here's an example of what we're looking for. You don't have to follow this template in terms of colours or anything, but just make it similarly clear. And of course it goes without saying that this is a comically wrong layout that you'd be wise to not use for inspiration given it ignores most of the footings. And obviously it's got the station and lift hill all wrong. 

hyper-layout.thumb.jpg.c696938a61d6c35a7c52d10db88841f7.jpg

Good luck!

• Richard changed the title to Parkz Competition: Design the Movie World hypercoaster!

Keep in mind that I've just made what I would make if I was given a similar space to make a Mack hyper. I don't think the real coaster will end up being like this, there are loads of footings that suggest elements which I have completely left out.

I made my original coaster in NL2 by getting a top-down photo and projecting it on the ground in NL2 to scale. 

58ce2cba419cf_mackhypernL2.thumb.png.f5e309443c177160dca0f3ddd354e3f3.png

I did break the rules slightly by going out of the cleared dirt area and into the green area a bit, just to suit my fantasies. In the video, you'll see my coaster has a MCBR and runs 3 trains. You'll also see my coaster deviates slightly into the green area where there are trees irl. I also have a really ugly curve along the ground after the first airtime hill leading into the second which I'd love to fix but it's too much effort at this point. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek05JZ3l37k

I understand this competition is judged on an image only, so I've revised my dream layout a little bit for the purpose of this competition. Instead of a low to the ground curve I have simply implied that the coaster goes over a second hill which is slightly curved for the duration, and then the third hill is the one with the curved drop. There is no MCBR, and my station has moved slightly. I've also fit it all into the cleared dirt area.

58ce2e81a8b9c_MWcoasterhighresannotated.thumb.jpg.60792ec43a831f32d4b5b2dcb490066b.jpg

Just to explain, the fury 325 turnaround is the one with the upwards spiral into a 90deg sideways airtime moment, it's a pretty special element on what many claim to be the best coaster in the world.

58ce326507975_fury325turnaround.thumb.jpg.793dada494246e8aac9b9088b1177dab.jpg

Allegro Crab, just to clarify, the competition is about guessing what you think the layout will be and seeing how accurate your guess is (Sort of like "pin the tail on the donkey") not a design your dream hyper competition.

By all means, you can submit your "real" guess alongside your dream layout though.

With track showing up today, it's probably a good time to dust of the old MS Paint and enter the competition because vertical construction will likely be underway fairly soon. Remember we'll close entries once construction begins.

We'll also throw a few consolation prizes out there for "most creative", "most spectacularly wrong" etc. for anyone that wants to take a crack but thinks they won't have a shot at the grand prize. 

On 19/03/2017 at 3:38 PM, Santa07 said:

#first

In before someone steals my ideas. Things will possibly change if I think about it more.

SWMbvuH.jpg

I'm with this one in general, except there are footers to the right of the two loops (vertical and horizontal), including one that is outside the fence, that are unused. 

Total of 2 hours...

Tooling around highlighting all the supports...

58d3bfdde5573_CoasterSupports.thumb.png.9a0b86be784aa4b360554475e6a6c97a.png

Then linking supports that look like they should be together...

Then looking at current MACK installations and how the supports are placed on individual elements...

After 3 rough setups I finally ended on something that I would be happy with and really gives all the supports meaning...

58d3c0a755772_CoasterFinal.thumb.png.b047d600eb8ef41b0cb6c24446994ab9.png

Of course heavily based on Flash with elements from Blue Fire, Helix and Lost Gravity...

Image speaks for itself but thought I would show my reasoning for it all...  Admin can ignore this if TL:DR ?

This would include a few elements we are yet to see in Australia...  Since it is billed with "Southern Hemisphere" and not world...  We can assume that the loop will not be the same size or larger than Flash...  This would allow for it to be further from the first drop and there is not enough room or supports to place it straight after the first drop...  And really what else would you put after the first drop on a hyper coaster other than a loop or a larger airtime hill?

After the loop it is basically a corner into the Flash double crossover section which includes the turn around and a Zero G roll...

From there I agree with most everyone else so far with a helix type spiral but believe (based on supports it would dive into the spiral underneath the loop and then raise up and through the loop...

The next supports run adjacent to the road and the only way to get to them from the spiral is either a more than 90 degree sharp left turn or an inversion in the diving loop (Lost Gravity)...

From there I just followed the remaining supports which snake along (chicanes)...

The next element is a wish on my part (supports don't really match up) in a heartline roll followed by a pass under the lift hill to a bunny hop over the river?  Trickle of water? However I also believe that the opposite order of these elements is more likely given the supports and that would mean a slower heartline roll while over the water...

And then finally into the brake run...

Could not account for the extra few supports near the station and therefore believe that will become the maintenance area and possible storage for a second train when not in use...  This would place it between the brake run and load / unload station which would be ideal for adding the second train easily...

Edited by MaxxTheMonster

Had another go at this based on the footings that I can see. I added some black lines to show which track passes over which. Also, in places where supports might get confusing I drew some red supports to the relevant footings.

The middle is such a confuddled mess, it'll be a miracle if anyone guesses it right.

I'm hoping that I'm right about the turnaround in the bottom left, the supports seem to indicate that there is a massive change in elevation from the entry to the exit. Also hope there is more airtime, less helixes/inversions. I won't object to a really floaty zero G roll though.

MW coaster comp entry.jpg

10 hours ago, red dragin said:

I'm with this one in general, except there are footers to the right of the two loops (vertical and horizontal), including one that is outside the fence, that are unused. 

I considered those to be supports for the loops, because I honestly couldn't think of anything that would match that pattern (I'm probably wrong). @MaxxTheMonster's seems a lot more detailed and accurate than mine, although I feel there are a couple too many inversions for what we'll probably get (eg I'd definitely cut out the heartline roll at the end). Although he definitely handled the circular pattern in the middle much better than I did (I think a helix over 360˚ is fairly unlikely).

3 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

I'm hoping that I'm right about the turnaround in the bottom left, the supports seem to indicate that there is a massive change in elevation from the entry to the exit.

The support pattern there is almost identical to the one on Flash's turnaround. 

11 hours ago, Santa07 said:

@MaxxTheMonster's seems a lot more detailed and accurate than mine, although I feel there are a couple too many inversions for what we'll probably get (eg I'd definitely cut out the heartline roll at the end).

Yeah as I said...  Heartline roll is more a wish than anything...  Realistically I think we will see more bunny hop hills in that final section but the heart wants what the heart wants (pun intended) so I had to include it at the risk of being wrong just because...

This is my attempt for it. It is very rough, and I didn't bother labelling it, because I don't know a lot of the terms and don't really have a clue based off the footings. I just did it, to try and follow the footing placement as closely as possible. I imagine though that the footings there are outside of the fencing are for much higher points on the track.

Footings.thumb.jpg.14ed8c84214fc98b3d4959a1f961e5f0.jpg

17 hours ago, themagician said:

This is my attempt for it. It is very rough, and I didn't bother labelling it, because I don't know a lot of the terms and don't really have a clue based off the footings. I just did it, to try and follow the footing placement as closely as possible. I imagine though that the footings there are outside of the fencing are for much higher points on the track.

Footings.thumb.jpg.14ed8c84214fc98b3d4959a1f961e5f0.jpg

Like why did you even bother really