102 members have voted

1. 1. Pink track: what's the theme?

• Joker
    • Suicide Squad
    • Wonder Woman
    • Flash
    • Aquaman
    • Other (tell us in a post)

Bizzaro makes zero sense, outside reader of DC comics and the odd cartoon, the character is pretty much unknown.  If they are going to have a coaster with minimal theme why would they give it to a unknown character which has zero big movie presence. Any theme they would do they would have to explain who the character is. They would want to go with a character that people know, which makes marketing the ride much easier. Especially when the ride is as big as this one is, you would want to put as known of a character as you can in that spot. Which would be a character that is either in a big movie or will be in one. 

The grey is likely a neutral colour and not related fully to the character. Grey is a colour that blends in easily, so it could of been chosen just to avoid distracting from the track itself. 

8 hours ago, iwerks said:

That would be cool. Imagine a dark ride section where they simulate the boat ride.

I'm sold. With that colour - that's what it should be.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would be an excellent theme for a family attraction in the south side of the old Toon ride building. The challenge for such a ride today would be sourcing a manufacturer to provide a safe and compliant design for a water dark ride (Sally?)

10 hours ago, CruiseSF said:

Bizzaro makes zero sense, outside reader of DC comics and the odd cartoon, the character is pretty much unknown.  If they are going to have a coaster with minimal theme why would they give it to a unknown character which has zero big movie presence. Any theme they would do they would have to explain who the character is. They would want to go with a character that people know, which makes marketing the ride much easier. Especially when the ride is as big as this one is, you would want to put as known of a character as you can in that spot. Which would be a character that is either in a big movie or will be in one. 

101% agree ?

I admit that whilst I wasn't a huge DC/Marvel fan growing up (I was more into TMNT & Sonic comics ??) I was still enough of a tomboy to be familiar with all their main characters. And I admit that I had NEVER heard of this Bizarro guy until Movie World built the Super-Villians Unleashed area.

He's been a minor recurring villain in like, what, a couple TV series/cartoons and a small handful of DC comics? ? I'm just not convinced he is popular or well known enough to be the face of the biggest rollercoaster in the southern hemisphere ?

Think about it, guys... the upcoming ads on TV... "Come ride the new Bizarro hypercoaster at MW" (queue people scratching their heads in confusion and asking who the heck "Bizarro" is) OR as a complete random but ideal example: "Come ride the new Wonder Woman hypercoaster at MW" (now THAT'S more like it!) 

Look at the other existing DC character rides... Batman, Superman, Arkham Asylum aka Joker & HQ, Green Lantern. They are all based on well known and recognisable characters & places. Practically household names, even to non-comic book fans. Their presence is everywhere. Even lesser known comic book characters like Aquaman, Harley Quinn and Thor are recently having box office movies made about them to make them household names.

One can completely understand having new rides themed to any of the above, despite having a lesser known presence worldwide in the past. They weren't known so much then, but they are now.  

Fact is, Bizarro is NOT a household name, and never has been. He's a supporting act villian. He hasn't been in any major movies, nor is he in any upcoming ones. In fact the character was planned to be the antagonist in the Man Of Steel movie, but was scrapped. 

In my opinion, if they are doing this - which they are - they are gonna do this the right way and make it based on a much loved, well known hero or villian that everyone instantly recognises. Something that people can connect with immediately and possibly even form an emotional connection with. Something that pulls the crowds in and help Movie World to subsequently make as much profit from this as well - they are a business, afterall! 

Sorry Bizarro, but in my opinion, you're a huge no go for this lol. Not until you at least have a major role in a new DC movie so people know who the heck you are to begin with?

ETA: a quick google online and it doesn't even look like he's a popular option for a major movie character... at least as a first indication by these random 25 comic book fans, anyway ??

Screenshot_20170325-100521.thumb.png.7896406da829fd1439883fee8d5bb6c6.png

Edited by Theme Park Girl

I reckon its Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad appealed to people around 13-18 which is also the kind of people who you see at Movie World the most, the younger of that gap gets the parents to come as well. Those at that age actually enjoyed the movie, so I think it would be a great decision for Movie World. It was a movie with big hype and big momentum that personally I didnt think dropped when the movie got bad reviews. It still got a lot of people watching. I think it would be a great theme. It appeals to the key audience and its recent enough for people to know the name.

1 hour ago, Intimidator305. said:

I reckon its Suicide Squad. Suicide Squad appealed to people around 13-18 which is also the kind of people who you see at Movie World the most, the younger of that gap gets the parents to come as well. Those at that age actually enjoyed the movie, so I think it would be a great decision for Movie World. It was a movie with big hype and big momentum that personally I didnt think dropped when the movie got bad reviews. It still got a lot of people watching. I think it would be a great theme. It appeals to the key audience and its recent enough for people to know the name.

It also won't make kids sad. I remember being like 8 and seeing the Superman ride and being annoyed because I was little and couldn't ride the ride, even though I loved Superman so much.

Hopefully Suicide Squad deters the younger kids.

I am going to say that the colour is always going to appear to be a slightly different colour depending on the weather conditions. In brighter light I would say it is pink and in darker light, purple. Either that or someone has a horrible sense of colour and we won't know who it is until  they announce the theme and that may allow us to correctly determine the true colour. Judging by the last photos, it looks like it should be pink although the dark lighting gives in a more purple tint. 

I really think its Suicide Squad. It's a huge movie that had so much momentum and hype, it's known by so many and it's perfect for the age group a ride like this would appeal to. And I think the placement of the coaster is no problem. You want your biggest ride to be up front and you want it to be themed to villains, but the villain section of the park is a fair ways away. Why not connect the two? You've now got a strip of villain rides:

58d60d98744b9_ScreenShot2017-03-25at4_25_13pm.thumb.png.fd8f52e9df75a7b3a169be0a33b85612.png

Sorry Doomsday and the villains area isn't there, but imagine it is where the show stage is. So you've got a long line of villain themed rides and attractions, it really wouldn't take much to connect them. The pink area highlighted is where a path could be made. This could be like the "Villian Walk Of Fame" (cheesy I know). It could have some more of the figures kind scattered around, maybe with more of the wristband interactive features. You could even have nods to older less known villains from older movies, keeping the Movie World theme, I could see Bizarro figures, maybe more etc.

Now how would the all connect?

The new coaster will probably have some new paths so it wouldn't be an issue starting the path. I could see a bit of the path going underneath Arkham connecting to the plaza. This would look really cool. You could literally walk through the coaster. The reason I think this is a possibility is thus:

58d60ee474271_ScreenShot2017-03-25at4_22_15pm.png.06e96e467a08065b98babe8fabe2ab4c.png

That's plenty of time to build a path underneath the coaster. How does this then connect to the Doomsday area?

58d60fd2a2dd3_ScreenShot2017-03-25at4_35_45pm.thumb.png.3dbdd0ff63e47ca74c8f6be6a3c9fd95.png

Where the arrow is, is where a tunnel could go through the buildings at the back of the Doomsday area.

I know this sounds really far-fetched, but it would be really cool, and it would actually help with crowd control and making some areas less congested. Just an idea how the theme could work.

6 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Fact is, Bizarro is NOT a household name, and never has been. He's a supporting act villian. He hasn't been in any major movies, nor is he in any upcoming ones. In fact the character was planned to be the antagonist in the Man Of Steel movie, but was scrapped. 

I disagree with this. If you're thinking movie-wise, then you have a point, but the range of villains that have been used in movies is so limited it's hard to really make a big statement here.

In fact, when looking at comics, Bizarro comes in at number 25 in IGN's top 100 comic villains, which is not a bad place to be at all. Of course, the big villains that have been almost overused in movies do sit at high spots such as Magneto (Marvel) at #1, the Joker at #2, and Lex Luthor at #4. Between that and Bizarro you have some other big villains like Ra's Al Ghul, Darkseid, Loki (Marvel), Two-Face, and Sinestro. Ultron (Marvel) comes in at #23, just two spots below Bizarro. Then you have a bunch of popular villains that come after Bizarro - Captain Cold, Deathstroke (who is probably my #1 choice to have a future coaster or ride named after), Professor Zoom. In fact - General Zod only comes in at #30. Getting further up into the 30s and 40s you have Bane, Grodd, and Deadshot. Harley Quinn only comes in at #45, and Doomsday #46, who have been seen as "big" characters in movies recently. Scarecrow, the Riddler, Mr Freeze, and other villains that have been used in movies you won't even find until the mid 50s and 60s.

So I would never call Bizarro a "supporting act" villain. He is a pretty big deal in Superman comics.

• Richard changed the title to Movie World Hypercoaster - colour, theme and announcement speculation
  • Gazza locked this topic
  • Richard unlocked and locked this topic
  • Richard unlocked this topic