Mt Druitt water works?

Gazza

I think the razor blade story is just an urban legend and it seems to be associated with nearly every water slide place (I have heard this story with respect to some local water slides in my town) I don't believe them, especially since the workers at these places would probably walk up the slide and conduct a check each morning anyway. Try googling "razors in waterslides".

• 6 months later...
my mums friend was one of the first people to get cut by razor blades on the slides and is the reason it closed down his name was dwayne purcell or something like that cant remmeber spelling she gave me
Just happened to come across this site and saw my name mentioned, i can say that i was never cut by razor blades at the Mt Druitt waterworks. I did however have lots of good times whilst working there. Spelt the name correctly.

• 7 months later...

Tis is my 2nd time 1st time post because my other account with the same name got deleted and also sacreligeous isnt in the dictionary so how am i supposed to know how to spell it. Also with the mk thing didnt they used to have a giant lake/pond at the front entrance, because i remember seeing a guy get suddenly bitten by an eel-worst footy team ever bty.!!!!!!!!! My mum even remembers the so called "ledgends" of the worshiped "razors". :o:(:mellow::rolleyes: Also i just forgot to post my dad once told me (when warragamba was still being built) that the african lion safari area used to have lions escape for it all of the time as well.eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk. :mellow::(:o:unsure:

Tis is my 2nd time 1st time post because my other account with the same name got deleted and also sacreligeous isnt in the dictionary so how am i supposed to know how to spell it.
Your account didn't get deleted because you couldn't spell sacrilegious, it got deleted because you kept making stupid posts that often didn't make sense. By the way, sacrilegious is in the dictionary: post-88-1217573054_thumb.jpg It's also in the Firefox spell check, and it is on Google, and it is on Wikipedia so even if you didn't have an actual dictionary in the form of a book, you could have checked in these other places instead.

Tis is my 2nd time
eel-worst footy team ever bty.!!!!!!!!!
"ledgends"
OVER USING EMOTICONS
Although "'Tis" is kind of a word, you are obliged to write "It is". How much effort could that be anyway. We all make mistakes, but if you'r defending your spelling, try one post of pristine spelling and grammar. How many times must you ride, and how many razor blades must you loose before you get one to stick in a gap and not get washed out or cut yourself?

My thoughts on the razor blades - they weren't necessarily planted during the day, but moreso by vandals overnight, when the slides are dry, and easy to walk up\ down. It would be simple in a dry tube to slicea gap into a join between two slide pieces, insert a razor blade, and then silicone it in, with enough time for it to dry before it opened. This is why most slides have a "walk down" by the operators before they are started for the day. Tis is actually a word in olde english, and used by some of the greatest english writers of all time, however I see you point. I must say the quality of his posts is slightly higher than the last time, but i certainly hope this is watched carefully, and an IP ban considered next time something goes astray. You would think people would learn... apparently they don't.

• 4 weeks later...

No your confusing two parks! Paradise Gardens was the place with the big concrete dinosaur. That was located out at Cattai past windsor. The place with the shoe was Bullens animal world out at Wallacia. It was the place with the blue bridge that crossed the water. I remember this like it was just yesterday as it is the first memory I have of being scared. As I was crossing it my older brother ran out onto it shaking it trying to scare me to fall into the water! How good were these parks! Im so sad they are all gone! Lion Safari at Wallacia was also another good one with the animals coming right up to your car as your drove in!

• 1 month later...

There was a kid at my school called Bret Purcell, don’t know if it was him that got cut, but we went on a school fun day in 1985 to the Mt Druit waterworks and a kid got cut on the slide, but think it was because of the sharp plastic joints that connect between the tubes. There was also a super fast open slide, but back then I was too chicken to go down it, saw a fat kid fly off the side at the end and got hurt. And as for Dizzyland, I went there in the early 80's, it was down the road from magic kingdom at Landsvale, there is a golf course there now. I remember my dad talking to the owner about how he got his old rides from the Luna Park that burnt down. All the rides seemed to have ripped seats and rust on them, but they cost around 10cents for a ride so no complaints, don’t think they had liability insurance back then. The other day went to waragamba dam and saw some rusty fairies behind the industrial area, remember as a small kid my big sister was crying cause my dad said it was rubbish and he wouldn’t pay the man the 50c or whatever it cost to get in, so we just stopped on the side of the road and looked then drove off, its funny how the stuff is still there, but looks like something out of a horror movie these days.

There was a kid at my school called Bret Purcell, don’t know if it was him that got cut, but we went on a school fun day in 1985 to the Mt Druit waterworks and a kid got cut on the slide, but think it was because of the sharp plastic joints that connect between the tubes. There was also a super fast open slide, but back then I was too chicken to go down it, saw a fat kid fly off the side at the end and got hurt.
This place sounds like a workplace health and saftey nightmare.

n648184417_1147101_1829.jpg I took some photos of Magic Kingdom earlier this year. I'm interested in taking photos of any derelict parks in Sydney, NSW and the rest of Oz...
is it worth going to take a look at? im am also very interested is abandoned amusement parks :) were you actually able to walk up to the shoe? or is the lake blocking it? looks like the magic kingdom land is being sold, so it could get pulled down.. http://www.realestate.com.au/realestate/ns...ansvale/2453339

• 4 years later...

The Mt Druitt Waterworks, was a waterslide fun park, had 6 giant waterslides, pool,spa with beach area, bumper boats, beautiful grounds for bbq and picnics, games room and eventually added other rides, such a shame it closed down, something the area really needed. The rumors of razor blades were just that rumors, the Park was well maintained and checked thoroughly, I know because I was lucky enough to work there for most of the time it operated, and it was the best job I have ever had.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi. Very old thread here, but I was wondering if anyone remembers the approximate address of the Mount Druitt Waterworks, as nothing on the internet (Wikipedia, etc) says so. I realize this has been answered a few times here, but only vaguely, and also in context to landmarks no longer existent (ie a pool shop). In current Googlemaps terms, was it near the swimming pool area, or the open common/square area? Just curious. I did go there once in the early 80s, and recall seeing bits of it in the late 90s from the train, and now live not far away. Thanks if anyone can help.

28 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Pretty sure it was in this area. Which would line up with reports of it being near the footbridge on the north side (Wikipedia) and also 500m from the station (the old TV ads). 

I have a rough memory of it being in a culdersack so Stout Rd might be it

8E596400-B019-4AFD-BA5E-08C3207AB942.jpeg

It was where Belmore Ave turns right next to the railway line on this map. The first corner block on the left hand side heading towards the Kurrajong Ave roundabout.

On 10/09/2018 at 5:50 PM, djrappa said:

Pretty sure it was in this area. Which would line up with reports of it being near the footbridge on the north side (Wikipedia) and also 500m from the station (the old TV ads). 

I have a rough memory of it being in a culdersack so Stout Rd might be it

8E596400-B019-4AFD-BA5E-08C3207AB942.jpeg

Thanks! I didn't expect an answer from this ancient thread, but you're right. I did some research and found a historical society Facebook page, who also told me the park was located beyond the corner of North Parade and Belmore Avenue, in what is now an empty gravel yard - right next to the foot bridge. Interesting that also in this thread someone said there was a pool company built after the park closed; I found out it was called Waterworks Homeworld Pools (long gone now), which was 10 Stout Road. Also interesting, if you go into Google Earth and go back to 2004 (the earliest it goes), you can see what looks like a driveway/entrance coming from the N Parade/Belmore corner (but already closed off), and going right past a long building structure that appears to be the old entrance. When you Google image search "mount druitt waterworks" you will see a photo of a three-level roofed building covered with graffiti - I believe that is the structure seen in Google Earth search.

I was surprised throughout this, how quickly local history disappears and isn't recorded on the internet. I even emailed the Manly water park (former sister park of Mount Druitt Waterworks) but they had no idea where it was.

Anyway, thanks again!

On 10/09/2018 at 8:48 PM, djrappa said:

This’d be it then 

3C1C480E-17FC-465E-958F-8F436E9F3379.jpeg

Hi. Yes that was my guess too. But was the entire park this big only? I assumed it would have taken up much more land than this. (If only Google had satellite imagery older than 2004; if you could go back to 1981 you would see it all clearly)

25 minutes ago, strop said:

I’m fairly confident it went all the way back to Kurrajong Ave. I have memories of the free fall slide running alongside the road as you drove in.

That makes sense. I was also thinking of Kurrajong as that would have allowed a full block. I have a street directory from 1988 in storage... I'll see if anything is marked there at that time, and at what size, etc.

Whats that from? I'd be keen for any images anyone has of the park.

Sadly anything pre mid 90s is so hard to find of anywhere. I think the park may have also gone a little bit up from the block in question too as I think the main entrance sat about mid way of 'the beach'.