Sign in to follow this  
themagician

Joker's Jinx Stops Midcourse

11 posts in this topic

Twenty-four people are stuck on the Joker's Jinx at Six Flags America, with a special rescue team on scene.

Riders are stuck about 100 feet in the air, and authorities said the coaster is at about a 30-degree angle. None of them are in distress, and they're just being urged to remain calm.  Firefighters, EMTs and a high-angle rescue team were at the scene, an estimated 75 rescuers in all, along with staff from Six Flags America. 

IMG_7505.JPG.031cea7b0b1e460a7e8db31c3ac530cc.JPG

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/248441128-story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ride in question:

https://www.parkz.com.au/parks/US/Upper_Marlboro/Six_Flags_America/ride/2018-Jokers_Jinx

381c23986402d722b01ed5c4ca8e62b4.jpg

Yes, it does get a bit slow at the top part, such that the lack of the usual MCBR makes no difference...Maybe a slightly underpowered launch just means it has a propensity to stall easily?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still one of my favourite coaster designs but definitely a flaw in the design of the launch.

I don't know how feasible it would be but perhaps some sort of speed check prior to entering the first inversion and a braking system could potentially avoid this happening again.

For example: Coaster train needs to achieve X km/h to safely run the course. After launch speed is checked and if X km/h is not achieved a braking system engages to stop the train from entering the first inversion and runs the train backwards onto the launch straight i.e. a rollback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DJKostya said:

 

I don't know how feasible it would be but perhaps some sort of speed check prior to entering the first inversion and a braking system could potentially avoid this happening again.

 

As an enthusiast getting stuck on a ride is a great adventure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

As an enthusiast getting stuck on a ride is a great adventure.

 

Oh I agree. I once got stuck on The Mummy at Universal for 2 hours, was probably one of the best experiences ever at a theme park but for some people this would not be a great experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DJKostya said:

Still one of my favourite coaster designs but definitely a flaw in the design of the launch.

I don't know how feasible it would be but perhaps some sort of speed check prior to entering the first inversion and a braking system could potentially avoid this happening again.

For example: Coaster train needs to achieve X km/h to safely run the course. After launch speed is checked and if X km/h is not achieved a braking system engages to stop the train from entering the first inversion and runs the train backwards onto the launch straight i.e. a rollback

I thought all launch coasters had these sensors along the whole launch? Unless thats newer ones maybe, I just see a lot of sensors along launch parts of tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

many launches have sensors to track the location of the train, but i think what @DJKostya is saying is to program the ride so if the minimum required speed to get through the course isn't achieved, then it aborts the launch, in such a way as to force a rollback, as opposed to a mid-course stall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, AlexB said:

many launches have sensors to track the location of the train, but i think what @DJKostya is saying is to program the ride so if the minimum required speed to get through the course isn't achieved, then it aborts the launch, in such a way as to force a rollback, as opposed to a mid-course stall.

 

It does make a lot of sense and I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one manufacturer that doesn't do this already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this