Movie World / Village Roadshow fence toppers

loki75

All the rake lights at the front of the park are now on.  I'm sorry to report that it looks shit. 

Picture this, you hang a piece of your finest artwork on your wall and you are so proud of it that you want to shine a light on the art to show it off.   Your electrician has had one too many and pointed the light under the artwork.  You hold a tea party to show off your artwork but the light is all that catches their eye. 

MW have spent the big bucks adding logos to the top of the piers but the lights mainly light up the concrete piers they are sitting on and only give reflecting light to the toppers.

48 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

MW have spent the big bucks adding logos to the top of the piers but the lights mainly light up the concrete piers they are sitting on and only give reflecting light to the toppers.

Perhaps they should have engaged a lighting designer 

• Like 2

It's definitely an opportunity missed after they went to so much trouble in putting in lights.   I know nothing about lighting design but I think the rakes would have looked good if they had a small colorful light shining up from the bottom.   Maybe there is some small light in the rakes and they haven't turned them on yet.

• Like 1

Like @Skeeta said maybe the lighting package isn't yet fully activated? Management spent a lot of time tinkering around with them before rolling out across the Pillars. Penty of time to get the look right.

What's even more interesting is 5 pages discussing the Park's new Fence and more importantly, what's on them.

...and if they were going to shove LED in there, it would have been great if they'd gone with RGB - a simple colour changer so that they could 'theme' the entrance with light depending on the event - they could just have a slow colour change wave, or perhaps for Fright Nights they could have had them all red to make the columns look evil \ bleeding etc.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Agree and disagree. Sure for Christmas and maybe fright nights a colour could be cool but thank god it's not some colour changing horrid thing. 

The classy white is nice. 

Agree, white is nice, and 9/10 white would be perfect, but given the cost of LED \ controllers for RGB set ups, its a shame they couldn't have built the capability into it to be able to do that for special events. I'm not talking go crazy with it doing something different every night - i'm talking your red on fright nights (or green), or a red\green or red\white alternating pillars for xmas.

Even being able to offer to have the entire driveway lit in the themed colours for private events - corporate colours, bridal colours etc.

I don't mean colour changing just for the fuck of colour changing ala lego store\ToT. I agree Classy is the way - but flexibility isn't that much more expensive to build into it... anyhow - doesn't matter... it's done now and still looks nice.

26 minutes ago, AlexB said:

but given the cost of LED \ controllers for RGB set ups

Actually in this instance it would be quite costly... Rather than just run a 12 or 24 ELV supply to each pole you would have to either run, ELV and data control, in which case much more expensive fixtures, or you would need to run 4 wire ELV control to each pole and have remote LED controllers. Due to the long run the controllers would need to be out in the field which brings with it more control cable, weather proofing, and all that.

So I can see why they have gone with the white only solution.

I was thinking a 4 wire 'dumb' RGB supply. Node upgrade would be an extra 25% or so on fixture cost. Control cabling is only going to add hundreds, not thousands to the cost, and a controller.

if they've run 12\24v supply to each post, then the 'field' issue for the controllers wouldn't be too difficult to resolve.

In the scheme of things, we're probably talking a few extra thousand. It's just a 'i wish they had have...' thought rather than a 'they should have... because they could have...' if that makes sense.

Hopefully, absent the ability to change colours, they've thought about dressing the pillars up a little for the events... perhaps with different lighting, rather than permanent colour changers.

I just Philp Hue'd up my house for romantic nights.  I tell Siri sexytime and all my lights in the house change colour.  Now I can drop hints to my wife while I’m in another room.  The closest I’ve come to this working is my wife yelling out to me “not happening”  It’s early days.

• Like 4