Do you prefer style or substance in your coaster track?

Reanimated35

Speaking of comparisons, and I can guarantee someone is going to take this the wrong way and have a go at me for it, but, does anyone else look at the Mack and Intamin track and while the coaster is going to be incredibly awesome in its own way, their style of track just doesn't present the same "wow" factor the box style of B&M track does?

Edited by Reanimated35

I do like the Intamin track when it has 4 rails but when it reduces to 3 or 2 rails not so much.  The Mack track looks like a cheaper knockoff of Intamin.   For me at the moment the sexy track award would go to the hybrid track.  I like the roughness of the matchstick constructed supports with the sleek modern track.

@AllegroCrab I didn't say you can't upload it.   I don't make the rules.  

Edited by Skeeta

1 hour ago, Reanimated35 said:

Speaking of comparisons, and I can guarantee someone is going to take this the wrong way and have a go at me for it, but, does anyone else look at the Mack and Intamin track and while the coaster is going to be incredibly awesome in its own way, their style of track just doesn't present the same "wow" factor the box style of B&M track does?

I agree - Mack seems to be cheaper imo. But IDGAF. 

Yeah I don't feel like the B&M track looks more impressive. Not unless it's a massive flyer or dive coaster. 

I think the Mack/Intamin looks very photogenic and 'faster'

Not really sure where anyone is getting one looking cheaper than the other from. 

I've always been partial to B&M track personally, it's nice and thicc

Speaking of 'less supports' Intimidator 305's lift hill is a thing of minimalist beauty.

(Seems like this current discussion almost warrants its own thread, lot of that happening recently lol)

Edited by Cactus_Matt

So yeah, this maybe needs it's own thread, but since I can't move old posts, apologies in advance for continuing it here, can it maybe be split off to "What's your preference of track style"?

Personally, I'm comparing these styles of track. 

mack.thumb.JPG.9d66fed124e10eb888baee364c5bed89.JPG

bm.thumb.JPG.2e1105c72198dbbafa2f931152cca31f.JPG

To me, the Mack track looks more manoeuvrable and faster. However, to me, the B&M looks like it would take up more of the skyline due to its thicker track and thereby make it look more imposing from the ground. I wouldn't say it looks "cheaper" in any way. I'd assume in monetary value, the less steel would actually make it cheaper to construct, but it doesn't look "cheaper" in the shitty way. 

It's kind of like comparing a sports car (Intamin/Mack) to a heavy haul truck (B&M). Both are impressive in their own rights.

Edited by Reanimated35

I actually prefer Intamin's new track style over the old one... the double-spine makes the coaster look a lot more beastly than their older type. B&M track fits into the same boat for me.

The older Intamin track and Mack track certainly don't have the same boldness as other track styles, not my favourite but any rollercoaster track looks fantastic in some way.

I am with @Skeeta on the hybrid track, it looks fantastic on pretty much every coaster RMC has made. T-rex track looks awesome too.

There's something just really nostalgic about Arrow track.

I still think Mack tracks "appear" cheaper for some reason, I can't find the right words, it's hard to explain.. I must admit though that all Mack coasters seem to have much more superior trains and smoother tracks. Overall I'd actually prefer Mack over B&M in 2017. 

Edited by jack.c

11 hours ago, joz said:

I'm old, I still think Arrow track is where it's at

The 4D track/structure is easily the most impressive coaster. 

And I don't care what anyone says it's an Arrow, not a bloody S&S or Sing Song or whatever it's called this week ;)

I think you need to use other 4-across tracks when comparing to B&M.

Image result for battlestar galactica roller coaster

Vekoma's Battlestar Galactica is a great example of this. Even though it now longer runs 4 across trains, the engineering was done for that. While I'm a fan of the Cylon coaster, I'm not a fan of these track styles - I find the spine is too wide which makes the tie out to the rail distance quite small. It looks more like a ladder than a coaster.

Image result for battlestar galactica roller coaster

My favourite track style is the Intamin 4-tube style:

Image result for intamin roller coaster

Having ridden both styles, Intamin/Mack (I/M) vs B&M, I'd say B&M track feels more controlled, and that in part is probably due to the fact that the B&M style is thicker, and it appears stronger. On the other hand the I/M track feels a lot more uncontrolled and crazy, which I personally prefer in a coaster. I think that the I/M track can offer more experiences, so if I had the option for an all I/M coaster park, or an all B&M coaster park, I'd pick an all I/M park, because I see the track to be more versatile. B&M coasters are amazing, but they all look pretty similar and I reckon they are not as versatile and too many B&M coasters would get old.

(Just an opinion, I'm open to all views)

Edited by Intimidator305.

Almost certainly that that feeling of control comes from the designs rather than the track itself. B&M has always built rides that lean towards conservative. The train styles themselves would have limitations (2x2 vs 4x1) that need to factor into the designs though certainly nothing that comes close to the limitations of the human body. B&M seems to just prefer not to push the boundaries.

For my money I'm firmly in the Arrow camp from a visual perspective. The real shame is that by the time they figured out how to build high quality coasters it was too late. I don't think steel coasters get much more visually pleasing than Tennessee Tornado.

In general I find just about everything from the main Euro manufacturers to be a little too sterile and utilitarian. In that sense RMC is definitely a breath of fresh air.