Down comes Sea World Water Park

the park has two rollercoasters, and not much else though. i know (because i say it myself) that coasters are what brings people in, but what SW needs right now is a lot more non-coaster attractions that appeal to - *families riding with small kids *thrillseekers *middle of the road types that enjoy both.

Don't forget in addition to the water park, sea world now has both the vikings \ castle land, as well as the former corkscrew and pirate ship sites.

You'd never have imagined a few years ago, when we were discussing how landlocked and land poor sea world was, that we'd now have such a glut of land available... but they need to fill it.... FAST.

Perhaps don't fill the corkscrew site straight away - and do what AW did - host a circus of some description in a big top. easy filler, makes the park more of a full day attraction, and offers something different (especially with the soon-to-be loss of COTD)

Keep in mind they still have the SV and reclaimed land they could use. But whatever they do they need some more attractions. If you look on their Facebook page they have tones of complaints about no rides at the park. 

If they could get one approved a windseeker I think would be a good fit for SW. If they could get a 120 meter tower approved. You would be looking around 8 million to get one in Australia.

Edited by Tim Dasco

2 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Keep in mind they still have the SV and reclaimed land they could use. But whatever they do they need some more attractions. If you look on their Facebook page they have tones of complaints about no rides at the park. 

That's why I think they need a S&S Extreme Swing, swinging over the oacean and all of that, in the sea Viper area in the future I'd like to see a premiere Rides sky rocket II ( like electric eel ) 

In Sea World's location, I don't know how comfortable I would be with a tower ride. Most tower rides use cables to hoist the gondola to the top of the tower. In high winds, to prevent damage to the cable, the ride is closed down and the gondola \ catchcar (depending on what ride it is) is hoisted to the top of the tower so slack cable doesn't bounce around the tower causing damage.

Sea World San Diego has an observation tower that shuts down in the lightest of winds - we get quite a bit of wind on the gold coast - and that would be my primary concern.

(I have no knowledge of the windseeker mechanics, but would assume a cable would be utilised - happy to be corrected if thats not the case - i've based the above on many other tower type rides that have this problem.)

Another point for point a number of new flat rides in the old water park site, then might ring more people to back of the park, and utilise Castaway Bay more because when ever I've gone to the park, and this is in peek periods too, the park will be very busy, but Castaway Bay isn't. A part from the Dolphin Show, there isn't much reason to go that far back, so to add multiple rides in that large space would be great. 

Yeah I think some major flat rides not little kid flats could do some good down the back. Something that family's can do but thrill seekers would still do. I do think an S&S extreme swing or a Windseekr/star flyer would be good. But I mean there are loads of options they could choose that could be themed to be apart of castaway bay. However something with height will draw people to that end of the park.

Edited by Tim Dasco

1 hour ago, Tim Dasco said:

However if Cedar Point can have there's operating surely the wind around SW should be fine.

Wind (Willyweather.com)     2017 to date         2010-to date

Strongest (Cedar Point)       40.7km/h              48.2km/h

Average (Cedar Point)         14.8km/h              14.1km/h

Strongest (Main Beach)       87.1km/h              320.4km/h

Average (Main Beach)         20.1km/h              19.4km/h

Cedar point might be similarly surrounded by water - but its a lake - not an ocean. Sea World is not protected by any land mass in front of the south pacific ocean, and it is almost THE most eastern part of Australia.

Sandusky is not exposed to the open ocean. It's nowhere near Tornado Alley, and is much farther from the tropic of Cancer than our Sea World is from the Tropic of Capricorn (the closer to the tropics, the most likely to have extreme weather conditions).

2 hours ago, Rollercoaster_Lover said:

That's why I think they need a S&S Extreme Swing, swinging over the oacean and all of that, in the sea Viper area in the future I'd like to see a premiere Rides sky rocket II ( like electric eel ) 

Extreme Swings are really ugly, and a version at Cedar Point apparently had lots of mechanical issues and was involved in an incident in 2014 where one of the cables snapped and injured two riders. I think SW should steer clear.

Just now, GoGoBoy said:

Extreme Swings are really ugly, and a version at Cedar Point apparently had lots of mechanical issues and was involved in an incident in 2014 where one of the cables snapped and injured two riders. I think SW should steer clear.

Oh, didn't know about that!

Having been on it, it's also just a dull ride.  I think Sea World is ripe for some bigger thinking than 'where can we fit a flatride?'  For me it needs more of a cohesive vision, not just 'a roller coaster'.

What sort of coaster?  Themed to what?  How abstract is the theme?  How could it fit into a new themed land?  What should that themed land be?  Sea World doesn't really have themed 'lands' but there's a really unique oppitunity to do something truely special.  I don't think 'build a coaster and a flat ride' is thinking big enough.

I think that what ever goes to the water park site should become linked to the theme of Castaway Bay, to bring that whole area together. And it isn't an overly difficult theme to work with, so I'm sure they could do something.

I think for the VR site, they should knock down the castle, as the 3D movie isn't overly popular, and start with a completely clean area to do whatever they want. And then that leaves the massive area from SV and the reclaimed land.

INB4 someone spouts about the castle being part of the park's heritage - yes it's been there a long time, but so has the bridge, which was virtually demolished a year or so ago and nobody said a word about it.

Getting rid of the castle, and whatever is left of the bridge will really open up that 'mid-station' space in the park.

I know VRTP have dropped a tonne of money onto the hyper and the cupboard is probably bare for a little while longer for anything major, but i'd really like to see them start on something for sea world - make it look like they care, and not that they've just left a whole bunch of crap to sit and rot.

I agree @AlexB. In regards to the bridge being partly demolished, I feel like that made that part of the park look much nicer than having that much brick showing. I think keeping the rest of the bridge as is would be a smart move as it will eventually allow easy access from Nickelodeon Land to that site.

If the castle is removed, it will be said for it to go as it pretty much has been at the park since the beginning, but now really doesn't have much purpose at all, a part from being in the way, and taking up land that can be used for another attraction.

10 hours ago, joz said:

What sort of coaster?  Themed to what?  How abstract is the theme?  How could it fit into a new themed land?  What should that themed land be?  Sea World doesn't really have themed 'lands' but there's a really unique oppitunity to do something truely special.  I don't think 'build a coaster and a flat ride' is thinking big enough.

Completely agree @joz

You would be one of the few here that would recall SW being divided into coloured 'zones'. There was at least a Blue, Green and Orange zone from memory with said coloured banners throughout the Park to show People where things were on the map.

Themeing at it's absolute worst!!!

11 hours ago, joz said:

Having been on it, it's also just a dull ride.  I think Sea World is ripe for some bigger thinking than 'where can we fit a flatride?'  For me it needs more of a cohesive vision, not just 'a roller coaster'.

Absolutely!

They've obviously put their focus firmly on Movie World over the last year or two. However Sea World is ripe for some love. Let's hope it gets it!

• 1 month later...